Chapala.com Webboard

What to Pay Gardener

Zeb

If he has to have is own equipment then treat it as a contract..say start at what you would pay a gardener per hour then maybe double the price per session..or not...no fuss no bother just call him in when needed, and be respectful that his is using his own equipment..good luck...or maybe get some sheep or cows!!!!

2 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

$300.00 pesos.

An hour??? I have a father and son come to my large property here in lower SAT once a week, and pay them $500 pesos a week for about 2.5 hours of work. They have their own equipment and pay for the gas. I gave them a raise a few years ago because of the higher gas prices. During the rainy season they have more work because of the grass growing but they also keep busy in the non rainy season with bougainvilleas, tree and bush trimming and always raking the leaves. The wife/mother as well as daughter and aunt (3 Amigas) are my maids bi-weekly at the same price and time here. Works for me with this family for over 10 years now!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gringohombre said:

An hour??? I have a father and son come to my large property here in lower SAT once a week, and pay them $500 pesos a week for about 2.5 hours of work. They have their own equipment and pay for the gas. I gave them a raise a few years ago because of the higher gas prices. During the rainy season they have more work because of the grass growing but they also keep busy in the non rainy season with bougainvilleas, tree and bush trimming and always raking the leaves. The wife/mother as well as daughter and aunt (3 Amigas) are my maids bi-weekly at the same price and time here. Works for me with this family for over 10 years now!  

$300.00 for the job not per hour.

3 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

$300.00 pesos.

Unless you are personally acquainted with the OP and his property, how could you possibly state how much a gardener should be paid for "the job"? The grass that needs mowing could be 10 square meters or 300. The plants that need trimming could be extensive or just a few. The job could take 2 hours or 10.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

39 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

$300.00 for the job not per hour.

Being a businessman I certainly would tie the payment to how many hours would the job take. The OP did not say how large or complicated the property is or how many hours he/she anticipated the job would take. 

3 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Unless you are personally acquainted with the OP and his property, how could you possibly state how much a gardener should be paid for "the job"? The grass that needs mowing could be 10 square meters or 300. The plants that need trimming could be extensive or just a few. The job could take 2 hours or 10.

Out posts came together at the same time, but we are  on the same wavelength on this one!!!

Maybe I'm crazy but I would simply tell him what I wanted done and when he finished I would ask "Cuanto hoy?" Whatever he said I would pay with a smile and then if I felt it was fair I would continue to use him, the same way, unless or until I began to feel cheated. I almost can't believe anyone is asking such a broad, open ended question as this here. As mudgirl said, who can say how much work is involved (or perhaps, how little).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gringohombre said:

I have one full time gardener and I pay him $2,600 per week for 45 hours of work per week which according to my property manager is more than fair for a full time job. If he were working fewer hours per day and or week, of course the hourly rate would be higher. I provide all of the equipment, gas etc.. I have two maids (sisters) instead of one because when I first hired them one of them was still going to High School in the afternoons. They come four times per week for three hours at a time. Each maid therefore works 12 hours per week and makes $700 pesos per week or $58.33 pesos per hour which my property manager says is fair. If they were working full time, the hourly rate would be less.

I have a night watchman who makes $2,100 per week who is provided a very small casita to sleep in after 1 AM where he can sleep during the night (However he must be on site until 7:30 AM when the gardener arrives. During the daytime he works as a gardener for a neighbor.

Oops You were only asking the rates paid to a gardener. Oh well, maybe some of the added info about other positions would be interesting to some.

the going rate in Ajijic is 70 pesos an hour. I have hired  3 different gardeners and that is whar they asked for. so for 5 hours gringohombre the price would be 350 pesos.. not 500 pesos.. I also found out that one guy in 5 hours does more than 2 in 2.5 hours.. I had 2 coming for 2.5 hours 3 5imes a week and now I have one of them for 4hours a day 3 time a weeks and he accomplishes more in 4 hours than 2 in 2.5 hours...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bmh said:

the going rate in Ajijic is 70 pesos an hour. I have hired  3 different gardeners and that is whar they asked for. so for 5 hours gringohombre the price would be 350 pesos.. not 500 pesos.. I also found out that one guy in 5 hours does more than 2 in 2.5 hours.. I had 2 coming for 2.5 hours 3 5imes a week and now I have one of them for 4hours a day 3 time a weeks and he accomplishes more in 4 hours than 2 in 2.5 hours...

Yes, I pay the father and son team $500 pesos for 2.5 hours. That works out to $100 pesos each per hour and that includes the machines and gas. Believe me they come and get it done on a very large piece of property! The father keeps an eye on the son and sometimes, especially during the rainy season they put in a little more time. I also like the fact that they are in and out in that period of time since I enjoy my tranquility and one guy would mean twice the time putting up with the machine noise. Plus there are some jobs that are best accomplished by 2 guys. I gave then a nice raise about a year ago, since gas prices went up, and for about 9 years of constant great work, showing up on time and my dogs love them (as well as my maids...I keep it in the family).They are happy and so am I. Just the way I roll!!! 

2 hours ago, johanson said:

I have one full time gardener and I pay him $2,600 per week for 45 hours of work per week which according to my property manager is more than fair for a full time job. If he were working fewer hours per day and or week, of course the hourly rate would be higher. I provide all of the equipment, gas etc.. I have two maids (sisters) instead of one because when I first hired them one of them was still going to High School in the afternoons. They come four times per week for three hours at a time. Each maid therefore works 12 hours per week and makes $700 pesos per week or $58.33 pesos per hour which my property manager says is fair. If they were working full time, the hourly rate would be less.

I have a night watchman who makes $2,100 per week who is provided a very small casita to sleep in after 1 AM where he can sleep during the night (However he must be on site until 7:30 AM when the gardener arrives. During the daytime he works as a gardener for a neighbor.

Oops You were only asking the rates paid to a gardener. Oh well, maybe some of the added info about other positions would be interesting to some.

Good to hear that you are well taken care of. 

On 8/1/2020 at 6:42 PM, gringohombre said:

Yes, I pay the father and son team $500 pesos for 2.5 hours. That works out to $100 pesos each per hour and that includes the machines and gas. Believe me they come and get it done on a very large piece of property! The father keeps an eye on the son and sometimes, especially during the rainy season they put in a little more time. I also like the fact that they are in and out in that period of time since I enjoy my tranquility and one guy would mean twice the time putting up with the machine noise. Plus there are some jobs that are best accomplished by 2 guys. I gave then a nice raise about a year ago, since gas prices went up, and for about 9 years of constant great work, showing up on time and my dogs love them (as well as my maids...I keep it in the family).They are happy and so am I. Just the way I roll!!! 

That sounds like a good arrangement. It takes time to find the right people. 

I am in Chapala Haciendas. Have tools and there isn't a ton of work.  It's mostly grass, not huge.  There are Bouganvillas in one area that occasionally need trimming and one small flower bed, a few potted plants on patio.

I think usually less than two hours.

Zeb ,  thnk people from Chapala Hacendas would be the people to ask and also ask the gardners what they want to do the work you need to have done.. and that should gve you an idea.The best bet is to get someone who s already workng the area and can firt you in his schedule so that it cuts back travelling time  and it is easier to ask the people that gardner is working for what they think of him.

• Like 4