Chapala.com Webboard

Skin on SMOKED pork hocks

happyjillin

On 7/30/2020 at 3:29 PM, Upfront said:

he knows how to advertise. very few people on this board

It's called a test market as it's one of 2 new products for him. I am merely trying to help him with this endeavour by making these posts. The other being an outstanding corned beef.

1 hour ago, Upfront said:

i get it and my answer still applies. but instead of asking for help you suggest in this and other corn beef threads that it will be OUR fault. not the best way to win friends

I have plenty of friends in real time. Yes if the test market is a dud and this being it and there is no positive[sales] response then the people on this board that requested either of the 2 products can be faulted for not buying. That concept should not to be hard to understand. I take it from your posts that have nothing useful to add, that you're not interested in purchasing  either but thanks for keeping this topic at the top.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/30/2020 at 2:12 PM, happyjillin said:

The last one that I got from The Smoke House was excellent so I have ordered again and it will be ready next week. IF nobody orders this and his excellent REAL corned beef we will loose this "right here" in our own backyard source. Phone # 376-108-1805

IMG_1234.jpg

IMG_1236.jpg

I think the whole thing looks disgusting and I want to throw up...but what ever is your poison 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

I think the whole thing looks disgusting and I want to throw up...but what ever is your poison 

The whole "pork" hock  I am portioning for a meal for 2. There was left overs for pork sandwiches and fixings for French pea soup . Are you not a meat eater ? If you aren't your disgust is understandable.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

IMHO, you are wrong, as we ordered two and they were EXCELLENT.  Very nice smoked flavor with a lot of meat.  They really go well in bean soup.

He gets his hocks from Costco, same as the brisket. This is first time in my lifetime that I have ever heard someone say that pork hocks makes them want to throw up?  They were considered a delicacy in the mid west USA when I lived there, so this is a surprising statement, to me, to say the least.

• Like 1

Lima beans and ham hocks.  But specialty is Calico beans (lima beans, white beans, red beans, pinto beans, garbonzas, lentils, green and yellow split peas, black beans, etc.).  I boil the hock then remove it a cook the beans mixture in the hock water.  Toward the end I put the meat back in with a can of tomatoes and a good healthy squirt of lemon juice.  The absolute BEST.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

Lima beans and ham hocks.  But specialty is Calico beans (lima beans, white beans, red beans, pinto beans, garbonzas, lentils, green and yellow split peas, black beans, etc.).  I boil the hock then remove it a cook the beans mixture in the hock water.  Toward the end I put the meat back in with a can of tomatoes and a good healthy squirt of lemon juice.  The absolute BEST.

These of what I speak are smoked and ready to eat. Boiling is for raw I would think.

50 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

Ham hock is great in a big pot of pinto beans.  Maybe some cornbread on the side, now I'm getting hungry.

Now you are talking like normal people.  The same, two states above you, Nebraska.

I don´t even want to know where the place is, that ham hocks make people throw up?   Very sad!

34 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

You obviously have never cooked southern style.  Why do you cook a hock in the oven?

Because I  do European. From what I've seen  and your description I have zero interest in what you call southern style unless it's southern Bavaria which is far superior and not a waste of a good and flavourful cut of pork. The hock from the Smokehouse is well  smoked/cooked and ready to eat. Because we got it in early afternoon I merely put it in the oven to warm up again and then had it with mashed potatos and sauerkraut. It was so tender and juicy that it fell off the bones.

21 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Because I  do European. From what I've seen  and your description I have zero interest in what you call southern style unless it's southern Bavaria which is far superior and not a waste of a good and flavourful cut of pork. The hock from the Smokehouse is well  smoked/cooked and ready to eat. Because we got it in early afternoon I merely put it in the oven to warm up again and then had it with mashed potatos and sauerkraut. It was so tender and juicy that it fell off the bones.

Same here, smoked and cooked is just a different way of preparing it.

Boiling is OK too.

Yo1 is correct, you put the cooked hock in to flavor the bean water later you remove hock and let beans finish cooking before adding ham hock back in, this is delicious.  If you have a raw salted hock you simply cook with the beans without removing and this is also good.  Tastes in food vary with where one grew up and acquired tastes.  I personally do not like french food, it is to rich for me.