Chapala.com Webboard

CookingAsian Food?

Karina G

For anyone interested in making their own Asian dishes, I've found a fabulous website and highly recommend it. For years I've tried unsuccessfully to make my own char siu (Chinese BBQ Pork), since the good stuff is scarce to nonexistent here, but none of the recipes I tried even came close.  Then I found https://thewoksoflife.com/ and my fist batch came out absolutely restaurant-quality perfect!  My next project's going to be turning some of it into Char Siu Bao ( classic BBQ Pork Buns) with another recipe from their site. 

So many great recipes, tutorials & general info from this family: Dad Bill was a chef in the U.S., Mom Judy provides a Shanghainese perspective and daughters Sarah & Kaitlan contribute their own creations . I think you'll enjoy!

• Thanks 1

El Rey Tacos special today was a selection of Chinese cuisine. It was excellent, top quality all the way. Who knew that  Chef Marcos could produce the best Chinese cuisine Lakeside, in the limitations of a restaurant delivery setting.

I have made BBQ pork strips many times here. I am now adapting one of our charcoal grill to slowly cook and smoke the strips in the traditional way.

To make the buns you need low gluten white cake flour. Hard to find. Betty uses hard flour in her buns and pastries - not the same texture or taste at all. We buy high gluten bread flour from what used to be Peter Panaderia's place. Maybe find a cake bakery? The import of Swan's Down flour would be price prohibitive here.

Coincidentally, I also order from El Rey Tacos quite regularly and they have some terrific items, but yesterday's Asian Combo is one meal I won't be repeating. Tastes differ, I guess, but I ate just enough to take the edge off, and decided I didn't like it enough to finish. The egg roll was probably the best thing there. 

As to the char siu bao, I have 2 recipes from Woks of Life; one does call for cake flour but I actually prefer the steamed buns, which are from regular flour. Now I'm anxious to try - before I devour all the pork I made.     

I want to make sticky rice bundles with banana leaves. Used to make all the time in Canada with frozen banana leaves, now we have abundant banana trees and never use them!

I am comparing Chef Marcos combo to the other Asian food offerings Lakeside. Like I say, quality ingredients make all the difference.

this instant pot technique looks good.

https://thewoksoflife.com/how-to-cook-zongzi-instant-pot/