Chapala.com Webboard

Smelly Water

For the past few weeks I have noticed my water has a smell. This started when they made the pipe connection and a new well was hooked up (?).  It is especially noticeable when I am in the shower or brushing my teeth. This morning it was really bad.  So, bad that I almost did not brush my teeth.  I live in upper Ajijic.  I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

I notified a friend of mine who works for SIMAPA and he is going to ask about this.  I also asked if they could start adding chlorine to our water.  I know SIMAPA did this a few years ago.

I should add that my aljibe is cleaned yearly and my filters are washed every month and regularly changed.

Edited by Floradude
clarification

Late yesterday I heard back from SIMAPA.

Sometime back, SIMAPA did some work with the water pipes to increase the efficiency in sharing during problem times throughout our area.  Prior to that my house in Upper Ajijic received its water from well in Riviera Alta.  After the change the water comes from a well atTobolandia.  SIMAPA acknowledges that the water is yellow and has a bad smell. Even though I have filtration (20 micron and 10 micron) along UV lights they recommend not drinking the water.  They said it is ok to brush your teeth but the smell/taste is so bad I almost gag.   I do not dare add chlorine to my aljibe for fear of killing my orchid collection as well as my outdoor goldfish.

1 hour ago, Floradude said:

Late yesterday I heard back from SIMAPA.

Sometime back, SIMAPA did some work with the water pipes to increase the efficiency in sharing during problem times throughout our area.  Prior to that my house in Upper Ajijic received its water from well in Riviera Alta.  After the change the water comes from a well atTobolandia.  SIMAPA acknowledges that the water is yellow and has a bad smell. Even though I have filtration (20 micron and 10 micron) along UV lights they recommend not drinking the water.  They said it is ok to brush your teeth but the smell/taste is so bad I almost gag.   I do not dare add chlorine to my aljibe for fear of killing my orchid collection as well as my outdoor goldfish.

You may wish to use a carbon filter on the last stage of filtration.