Chapala.com Webboard

is there a Child Protective Services or similar here?

Obviously I prefer not to be named but the "gatekeeper" in our Pravada is well in her 90s and she is constantly babysitting for one of the many family infants. (how was I to know!  It's like living in a day care since Clovid.)  I came home at 1PM today and the baby has been screaming on and off for hours at a time. I tried to ask (broken Spanish- how the hell can you study with all their noise?) if they needed anything, dinero for medicine since they said the baby was enfermos but they jabbered and indicated for me to go away. Two other neighbors came by for other reasons but they are not on TOP of the sound. They made no big deal that the kid is: 

1) SICK (gee it could be Clovid!)
) in pain for hours!  Most importantly NONE of these gatekeeper people use masks, social distancing and so forth. My head is bursting from the screaming but the poor thing needs help. Is there a number I can call to report this? It stopped right now (for how long?) and do I know the parents? NO, this carnival has gotten out of hand. The people who live further back don't hear it an don't care.

Thank you!

• Sad 1

Think long and hard before reporting this family. If you have expressed your concerns to them and then DIF shows up they will “know” it was you. If the baby is normal sick and crying a lot and the government shows up at their door they may view you most unkindly. I have a Mexican friend who I run such things past to get the cultural take on situations. He has several times saved me from missteps, mostly minor but a couple that would have been serious faux pas. A health and safety issue for the baby is serious. But if you are mistaken it could backfire on you. Even if the report is necessary there may be ways to handle it that will be easier for you. 

• Like 7

I have neighbors that recently moved here from CdMx to a house that they used to use for holidays only and they have a child that when was an infant would scream and cry for hours on end.  Made me crazy with worry as a mother.  The child is now nearing 2 hrs of age and still screams off and on a LOT.  I spoke to my neighbors and they all agree that there must be something wrong mentally/behaviorally with this child but none are inclined to get involved.  I hate it but ni modo!!!!

When I moved here there was a kid who cried all the time and was ignored much of the time. Turns out she was a spoiled brat and always wanted her way. I had a cousin who cried most of the time from the time she was born until she started walking at 9 months,  She would be in a room by herself, the minute she saw someone she started to scream.  There was nothing wrong with her that anyone could find out. Only her mother could get her to stop.

Thank you all, especially Xena, for the good information. I DID indeed offer $$ for medical but was brushed away. Thank you ALL for the spelling lesson. You can always get such friendly advice here! Keep in mind It is difficult to get things correct when you head is being assaulted by constant screams. Again, thank you Xena for good practical input.

• Like 1