Chapala.com Webboard

Virus what Virus

On 7/29/2020 at 1:20 AM, johanson said:

Gosh Texas has had 385,924 cases while Jalisco has had only 11,903 and the State of Washington, one of the Coronavirus starting points in the US has had only 55,548 cases and all of the US has had 4,398,994 cases as of noon 7/28/2020.

That Texas number seemed way too high, so checking on line  on Texas and  I got as of early morning the 29th, a slightly higher #. the latest data shows  411,876 cases and 6,451 deaths in Texas.

Things are out of control in Texas that is for sure. Part of the reason Washington's numbers were much lower is Texas' population is over 4 times greater than Washington. Washington also instituted much stricter shutdown guidelines than Texas did. They instituted them very early as Washington was one of the first hotspots and did a much better and more cohesive job than Texas ever did.

I for one do not believe the numbers in Mexico even remotely reflect the true number of cases. Of the 30 most highly impacted countries worldwide Mexico is ranged 26th in the number of tests administered, 7,286 per million people. There are many other poor countries that have much higher testing rates then we have here in Mexico

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104645/covid19-testing-rate-select-countries-worldwide/

Here in the RGV we have many more cases than in some of the more interior counties of Texas. Forget people with no documents, there are many people with green cards who have every right to cross into Texas and many of them do to seek healthcare during this pandemic.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

And one person is dying every minute in the U.S.

Normally, 2.81 million die in the US every year, so this is nothing new. If this year 3.5 million die, we will know that the virus caused an additional 690,000 deaths.

do not know about Jalisco but n Chapas they do not test unless you have symptoms and you have to pay plenty to go to private labs and the dpt of health there told me that there was no acredited lab to do tests in the State but some labs say they are approved so who knows.

Meanwhle people wat and wait to get tested and the majorty do not bother..  know whole families who had the vrus and never bothered wth doctors or tests. They got better watng t out and drnkng medcnal teas the curanderos gave them. Ome people de and life goes on..So  know first hand that in CHapas  the cases reported are a fraction of the cases.. WHe  asked where to get oxigene,  got the standard answer.. chaval, mayuk , moyuk, no hay.. they only word    I know in  all the local languages because you hear it so often there...

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, bmh said:

do not know about Jalisco but n Chapas they do not test unless you have symptoms and you have to pay plenty to go to private labs and the dpt of health there told me that there was no acredited lab to do tests in the State but some labs say they are approved so who knows.

Meanwhle people wat and wait to get tested and the majorty do not bother..  know whole families who had the vrus and never bothered wth doctors or tests. They got better watng t out and drnkng medcnal teas the curanderos gave them. Ome people de and life goes on..So  know first hand that in CHapas  the cases reported are a fraction of the cases.. WHe  asked where to get oxigene,  got the standard answer.. chaval, mayuk , moyuk, no hay.. they only word    I know in  all the local languages because you hear it so often there...

Most here feel very comfortable with the number being reported here. Not much to worry about, right? 

Just now, Jim Bowie said:

Most here feel very comfortable with the number being reported here. Not much to worry about, right? 

I agree Jim with your general statement ....BUT....are the numbers being reported in MX/JAL representative of what is really happening on the ground?...if you feel warm and comfortable maybe that is all that matters...rather like being feed a Placebo  for what ails you

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Bowie said:

Normally, 2.81 million die in the US every year, so this is nothing new. If this year 3.5 million die, we will know that the virus caused an additional 690,000 deaths.

The excess death rate in the US from March1 to May 30, was 122,300. That gives you some idea of what it would be for the year if things continue as they have been. And with the numbers they are seeing in Texas and Florida since May 30, I would imagine the excess death rate at the moment is far greater. 

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2767980

2 hours ago, Jim Bowie said:

I do not think that this is as simple a problem as subtraction can explain. It has hurt people in many ways.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/watch/suicide-rates-directly-linked-to-covid-19-layoffs/vp-BB15zrWn

49 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

The excess death rate in the US from March1 to May 30, was 122,300. That gives you some idea of what it would be for the year if things continue as they have been. And with the numbers they are seeing in Texas and Florida since May 30, I would imagine the excess death rate at the moment is far greater. 

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2767980

Except the death rate is dropping, is it not?

That being the case you cannot straight line project to predict the total death count.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Except the death rate is dropping, is it not?

That being the case you cannot straight line project to predict the total death count.

Did I say you could straight line it? I said it could give you an idea. 122,300 excess deaths in 3 months makes it evident that coronavirus isn't some overblown paranoia.

• Like 1