Chapala.com Webboard

Virus what Virus

Gosh Texas has had 385,924 cases while Jalisco has had only 11,903 and the State of Washington, one of the Coronavirus starting points in the US has had only 55,548 cases and all of the US has had 4,398,994 cases as of noon 7/28/2020.

That Texas number seemed way too high, so checking on line  on Texas and  I got as of early morning the 29th, a slightly higher #. the latest data shows  411,876 cases and 6,451 deaths in Texas.

6 hours ago, johanson said:

Gosh Texas has had 385,924 cases while Jalisco has had only 11,903 and the State of Washington, one of the Coronavirus starting points in the US has had only 55,548 cases and all of the US has had 4,398,994 cases as of noon 7/28/2020.

That Texas number seemed way too high, so checking on line  on Texas and  I got as of early morning the 29th, a slightly higher #. the latest data shows  411,876 cases and 6,451 deaths in Texas.

Apparently it is "all that amazing, beautiful, world class testing" Pete, that is causing all of the cases.      (Not sure why the DEATHS are so much higher though, is that the test fault too?)

Wow, I guess we better slow down / stop those tests....that'll fix it!

• Like 2

Great article and success story that shows a LOT of testing does NOT = a lot of cases.     No cases, even in the prisons (and they are large facilities in Kingston)

It is all the other things that the society does....or does not do:

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundayedition/the-sunday-edition-for-july-26-2020-1.5657255/a-rare-success-story-kingston-ont-survives-the-pandemic-with-few-cases-1.5657291

• Like 1

The majority of people in Chapala wear masks.

I steer a wide berth away from those not wearing masks, mainly to send a message, hey, why not wear a mask.

Farmacia Similares sells a packet of 5 masks on Monday for 20% discount, very very cheap, a few centavos . They can be washed and used again.

Farmacia Similares also sells the Chinese version KN95 mask (no respirator) about 70 pesos if I recall, but it is NOT comfortable to wear for any length of time, but in a tight crowded spot, good to have in possession.

To those who say masks don't work, I say what if they do. Take every reasonable precaution. Save the next person if you care little about yourself.

Even the famous Sidney Powell posts that a scientist showed the virus is smaller than the air traps of the masks. However, what the scientist did not mention is the virus is in a droplet of aerosolized air, and that droplet is larger than the air traps of a mask, and therefore is stopped by the mask. Even the smartest of the scientists sometimes get blinded by not considering all the factors of transmission.

• Like 4

Great posts by virgo lady and southland, both.

The acts of all individuals, affect all individuals.     

That thinking and action, along with care, caution, and common sense is what can help crush this virus spread until cure / vaccines are available.

Short term "pain" (not much to ask, really), for the long term gain, of all.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Some K95 or KN95 masks have an "air exit valve" to make it easier to exhale. While these protect the wearer from virus inhalation they do not protect others from the virus exhaled by the wearer. 

Possibly that is what the poster means by respirator

aa mask.JPG

Thanks for posting this- They are now issuing warnings that these masks with exhale valves are not to be worn- they do nothing to protect others from your breath.

I had occasion to visit the American Legion today for breakfast. I am not sure under which classification they are open ...but...there was no temperature check . Certainly much less people around and those mostly in the smoking area where the air pretty well fumigated any change of a virus surviving . The inconsistency between establishments of similar  nature is troublesome . Likewise going into different bazaar's, some use the temperature check others nada!!! . Some use separate entry and exits others go though the same door

2 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

I had occasion to visit the American Legion today for breakfast. I am not sure under which classification they are open ...but...there was no temperature check . Certainly much less people around and those mostly in the smoking area where the air pretty well fumigated any change of a virus surviving . The inconsistency between establishments of similar  nature is troublesome . Likewise going into different bazaar's, some use the temperature check others nada!!! . Some use separate entry and exits others go though the same door

So, how was the breakfast? Are you planning to go again soon?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

some use the temperature check others nada!!! 

I wouldn't be too concerned about temperature checks. There are many reasons why someone can have a slightly elevated temperature, and according to numerous medical reports I've read, many patients infected with COVID have no fever whatsoever. Doctors in NY said that 70% of their patients who tested positive never presented any fever. Masks, distancing and hand washing are the most important ways not to spread this virus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

According to Bill Gates, everyones all-american boy, the benefits of re-opening schools far out weigh the costs. Seems if anyone has a good handle on this virus and its effects, he does. Has Lots of money invested in it.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

I wouldn't be too concerned about temperature checks. There are many reasons why someone can have a slightly elevated temperature, and according to numerous medical reports I've read, many patients infected with COVID have no fever whatsoever. Doctors in NY said that 70% of their patients who tested positive never presented any fever. Masks, distancing and hand washing are the most important ways not to spread this virus.

Regardless of the effectiveness of taking the temperature, it's the inconsistency between establishments....or not?...do we follow the rules?...or not

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

Regardless of the effectiveness of taking the temperature, it's the inconsistency between establishments....or not?...do we follow the rules?...or not

Personally, I don't care about people following rules if the rules are senseless.  Anyone who has a high enough fever to be infected with COVID, rather than a slightly elevated temperature because they have a gum infection, is not likely going to be out and about anyway- they would feel too sick.

Yeah, I was thinking exactly the same thing.  Who wakes up sick in the morning with a fever and says I think I'll go over to the Legion for breakfast?  Most people who are sick and feverous are not usually out in about shopping or eating out at restaurants.  I can comprehend maybe checking people's temperature at the airport when they arrive after they have been on a flight for several hours.  Flying is stressful and the stress lowers your immune system as you come into contact with germs from around the world from international travelers.  But that is about it.  

On 7/26/2020 at 11:16 PM, Jim Bowie said:

It is terrible out there. Survival rate is what 98+ %? 37 children in the US below the age of 16 have died, almost all had other problems ( normal flu season, 191 die). It's terrible for the average person without other problems.

With all due respect and I am not attacking you but this statement you have made really has no medical basis in research right now

"“For many diseases, it can take years before we fully characterize the different ways that it affects people,” said nephrologist Dan Negoianu of Penn Medicine. “Even now, we are still very early in the process of understanding this disease.”

This is something that must be a major consideration at the present time and for the future.

Here is a study from JAMA about cardiovascular issues related to COVID-19

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamacardiology/fullarticle/2768916

Studies may be difficult to read. I can read them only because I was in the medical field for many years. If not they would be almost impossible to get through.

This is a story regarding this study which is definitely  more interestingly written.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/27/covid19-concerns-about-lasting-heart-damage/

This is an article from the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6930e1.htm

Finally this story about  possible brain function and damage caused by COVID-19

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200622-the-long-term-effects-of-covid-19-infection

The point is that COVID can be far more damaging even in asymptomatic people than we know. In every study I read scientists stress one very important fact over and over again. It is still very early in the life of this virus. Much of the scientific community's efforts are in care, vaccine development and pharmacological treatments to immediately address the virus. Long term study must be initiated worldwide with well structured randomized, double blinded studies, peer reviewed studies as well as treatment protocols etc for those who have developed morbidities because of COVID.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2