Chapala.com Webboard

Virus what Virus

Driving passed the fish restaurants just East of SJC this pm. "Hundreds" of visitors mainly from Guadalajara (I assume) I did not see  anyone! wearing a mask! and looking across could see large number of people on one table, a carnival  atmosphere , so much for social distancing and being disregardful for following the State health guidelines and safety for other people.

For the past month the Chapala malecón has been inundated weekly with turistas from all over the region.  With the grand majority not wearing a face mask.  And so far no uptick in cases.  When is this dreadful contagious disease going to wreak havoc?  For the past 2 or 3 months most people you see walking around Chapala on our super crowed Madero Ave. haven't been wearing masks either.  Could the current strain not be as deadly as the news claims it to be?

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

I do not think anyone has a grip,  I go with personal experience, one family member death in France and another family member in Texas, a nursing home director is in ICU.  Place your bets.  Best of luck to you.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Kiko said:

I do not think anyone has a grip,  I go with personal experience, one family member death in France and another family member in Texas, a nursing home director is in ICU.  Place your bets.  Best of luck to you.

It is terrible out there. Survival rate is what 98+ %? 37 children in the US below the age of 16 have died, almost all had other problems ( normal flu season, 191 die). It's terrible for the average person without other problems.

• Sad 3

1 minute ago, Jim Bowie said:

It is terrible out there. Survival rate is what 98+ %? 37 children in the US below the age of 16 have died, almost all had other problems. It's terrible for the average person without other problems.

Still trolling I see.  Carry on.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Upfront said:

there are lots of conspiracy boards for you

Upfront, Bennie, Mannie or whoever you are, it doesn't mean you are a conspiracy theorist or a Trump supporter if you analyze the facts and data less hysterically than the way the media wants you to believe.  It's called being independent and thinking.  Most people don't think or analyze they just believe everything they read and hear.  Just because the local authorities claim that Chapala has currently reached 50 cases since January for a population over 50 thousand does not mean I am going to freak out and hide out in my room.  You have to be nuts.  Analyze the data and try to see the whole picture.  Even the CDC and the WHO both insist that out of those 50 positive cases in Chapala the vast majority will easily recover and most will experience next to zero conditions or very light symptons at the most.  And yes I wear a mask everytime I leave the house because I don't want to get sick or get anybody else sick.  But I ain't freaking out.  I am just reporting how the narrative is playing out on the ground here in the streets of Chapala. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

hey. I am in Seattle for a visit where we had had quite a few virus related deaths. Apparently there are only a few cases of virus down there, and it is probably not that dangerous to go around as if there were no infected folks down there.

Now is the time to wear these darn things before it catches on down there. If only they had done that in Seattle, starting in Jan or Feb of this year, where they have had over 600 deaths this year. The experts say that if they had all been wearing masks starting in January the death rate would have been greatly reduced, Now most everyone is wear a mask in the greater Seattle area

Being a hypochondriac not only do I wear N95 masks, but also surgical gloves any time I go out, 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

It is terrible out there. Survival rate is what 98+ %? 37 children in the US below the age of 16 have died, almost all had other problems ( normal flu season, 191 die). It's terrible for the average person without other problems.

Survival rate with, according to the latest studies, a majority showing mild to severe lung damage. No way to tell if it is temporary or permanent. This included asympotomatic persons as well. About 15-20 % overall need hospitalization, another 30% have mild to serious symptoms but don't need hospitalization. Unlike the flu, the illness lasts from a few days to 6-8+ weeks. Also unlike the flu, people who do recover often have an assortment of side effects including blood clots, lung scarring, heart or kidney damage, and neurological and mental health effects. This is a new virus and scientists are learning more every day. We do know it should not be taken lightly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

Analyze the data and try to see the whole picture.  Even the CDC and the WHO both insist that out of those 50 positive cases in Chapala the vast majority will easily recover and most will experience next to zero conditions or very light symptons at the most. 

All those weekenders from Guad you see sitting around maskless and crowding?- guess where their COVID cases will be reported. Not in Chapala. They'll infect a few of the locals who came in contact with them who will be counted as Chapala cases. 

• Like 3

The death rate isn't the way we should be looking at this, there are residual effects. It's like Polio, the death rate was 5-15% but about 66% of patients had permeant damage, and even now 60 years later some survivors are experiencing post polio complications. The vaccine has been around for 60 years, but there were still about 150 cases last year world wide (up from 19 in 2018).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Exactly right sem123;

Everyone, please ignore Jim Bowie's troll post and see the CDC link posted on the other thread about the significant long term health issues to all ages.    I'll repost it here as well.        

• Like 1

This was posted in the MC thread on "interesting data":

The CDC says, in very plain language, that COVID-19 is one of the most damaging and dangerous viruses / diseases out there, to both young and old.

Fewer young people die from it, this is true.   However, the full extent of the significant and permanent damage done to their bodies, general health / stamina, brains, and cardio systems is still not fully understood - other than it can be life changing and life shortening.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/24/health/covid-19-symptoms-last-long-term-study-wellness/index.html

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

In Europe they say that the current strain is more contagious and less deadly so hopefully they are right and hopefuly it will evolve in that direction so we can all get it and survive it.

. Only people who have not been affecte personally make fun of it.. the others know better.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Upfront, Bennie, Mannie or whoever you are, it doesn't mean you are a conspiracy theorist or a Trump supporter if you analyze the facts and data less hysterically than the way the media wants you to believe.  It's called being independent and thinking.  Most people don't think or analyze they just believe everything they read and hear. 

Sure it does, to the Left. You can't be a member of their "pack" if you are a "free" thinker. You either agree 100% with their narrative or you are a racist, etc. , etc,. etc. You have heard the drill a thousand times. If you ain't with them you are against them ! Either all, or none. They weed out and eat their own, sooner or later. They only use you while you benefit them. Lots of evidence of this everywhere. Keep thinking for your survival.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 3

Let's steer clear of politics and stay with the topic.

The weekenders are pretty lax about social distance and masks so we need to be highly careful about them.  Do your shopping early in the morning during the week when they aren't in town or likely to be out.  Don't go to restaurants from Friday afternoon thru Sunday evening.  And fer crying out loud, avoid the damned dance bars.  You may as well go to a covid party as to one of these places.  

Many of our locals have to provide goods and services to the weekenders in order to make a living.  Let's encourage them to do so as safely as possible for their own safety and ours as well.  Hector is doing a great job of educating them when he is advised of poor practices.  I encourage people to get in contact with him when you see same and avoid direct confrontations.  Remind your help that GDL has a lot of CV because they aren't careful and we don't want to see our neighbors and helpers get infected because of Tapatio carelessness.

• Like 2

I was at home depot yesterday and they only let a limited number of people at a time  , you have to keep your distances in the line outside, have a mask etc.. so not all Tapatios are careless.. maybe they feel safer here and bring the whole family.. this how people contaminated themselves in SPain, Italy and France, family reunion, just because you know people well does not mean you can trust they do not have the virus but life goes on..

14 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Upfront, Bennie, Mannie or whoever you are, it doesn't mean you are a conspiracy theorist or a Trump supporter if you analyze the facts and data less hysterically than the way the media wants you to believe.  It's called being independent and thinking.  Most people don't think or analyze they just believe everything they read and hear.  Just because the local authorities claim that Chapala has currently reached 50 cases since January for a population over 50 thousand does not mean I am going to freak out and hide out in my room.  You have to be nuts.  Analyze the data and try to see the whole picture.  Even the CDC and the WHO both insist that out of those 50 positive cases in Chapala the vast majority will easily recover and most will experience next to zero conditions or very light symptons at the most.  And yes I wear a mask everytime I leave the house because I don't want to get sick or get anybody else sick.  But I ain't freaking out.  I am just reporting how the narrative is playing out on the ground here in the streets of Chapala. 

Even as you can get over the virus have you read about the long-term consequences?

1 hour ago, bmh said:

I was at home depot yesterday and they only let a limited number of people at a time  , you have to keep your distances in the line outside, have a mask etc.. so not all Tapatios are careless.. maybe they feel safer here and bring the whole family.. this how people contaminated themselves in SPain, Italy and France, family reunion, just because you know people well does not mean you can trust they do not have the virus but life goes on..

Exactly. Wonder how many people have thought about how many others they may have killed with the flu because they went to work or shopping or family reunions while infected themselves? They never give that a thought.Those people didn't die because they got it on their own.

23 hours ago, johanson said:

hey. I am in Seattle for a visit where we had had quite a few virus related deaths. Apparently there are only a few cases of virus down there, and it is probably not that dangerous to go around as if there were no infected folks down there.

Now is the time to wear these darn things before it catches on down there. If only they had done that in Seattle, starting in Jan or Feb of this year, where they have had over 600 deaths this year. The experts say that if they had all been wearing masks starting in January the death rate would have been greatly reduced, Now most everyone is wear a mask in the greater Seattle area

Being a hypochondriac not only do I wear N95 masks, but also surgical gloves any time I go out, 

I understand those gloves are about the worse thing you could do, as they pick up LOTS and everything you touch with them becomes contaminated. Check it out.

6 hours ago, bmh said:

Well maybe they should think about it.. I sure due and stay away from people with flu even cold when I know they have them. It always bugs the heck out of me to see people who are obviously sick go to even or even come to work.. 

When my kids were little and went to daycare, parents would drop their kids off, hand the daycare teacher a bottle of antibiotics, telling her the child needed to be given a spoonful at xx time because they had strep throat or something. Used to really piss me off.

And I have a friend who's a elementary school teacher who says she gets censured by the administration because when she has a sick child in her class, she calls the parents and tells them they need to pick their child up, as she's quite ill. When the parents protest that they're at work and don't have anyone who can do that, she tells them that's their problem to work out- that it's school, not a babysitting service, that their child can barely stay awake or concentrate, and that she has a family at home who she doesn't want to bring an illness home to, nor should the other children in the class have to be exposed.

When I was a child, people stayed home when they were sick. I was kept home from school and I remember my dad, who was generally a strong, healthy guy, calling in sick if he had a bad cold. I don't know what's happened, that so many people these days act as if there's nothing wrong with spreading their germs around.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bmh said:

Unfortunately parents work and the schools are the dumping grounds

And this is the real reason behind the push for 5 full days of school in Sept....1 month from now....not about education and most understand that.    The kids got online education going in March when schools started to close up.    Not ideal but better than COVID spread.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

A sobering thought from our border friend Texas where the COVID-19 virus has grown from worse to unmanageable due to a lack of a coherent public policy and poor planning..  

"As of Monday, according to state health data, Texas had 385,924 total cumulative cases and 5,713 deaths. Just a week earlier, on July 20, Texas passed 4,000 deaths from the disease. To be clear, that means 20 percent of all deaths in the state happened in just six days."  Exponential growth,  you don't need a PhD in math to figure this out.

From https://ca.news.yahoo.com/texas-covid-19-death-surge-083555443.html

And from Starr county, Texas

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/coronavirus/article244443257.html  If you are old and sick with COVID, you are sent home to die.

The Mexican border cities are inundated with cases now.  What does this have to do with Lakeside, you may want to take an on-line geography course.

• Thanks 2