Chapala.com Webboard

Engine/ Jake Brakes

1 hour ago, HoneyBee said:

The problem in Mexico is that engine brake silencers are not required by law (or maybe its just not enforced). In the US and in Canada they are. Have you ever notice when driving NOB you never hear them. 

On reflection .......I would suggest that not many of us lived near the highways were heavy   duty trucks operated...most of the major inclines/declines were on the interstate, where they also had the emergency side exits for the truck to go if there was a brake failure. Does anyone know if trucks have to pass any road worthy test??? 

25 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

On reflection .......I would suggest that not many of us lived near the highways were heavy   duty trucks operated...most of the major inclines/declines were on the interstate, where they also had the emergency side exits for the truck to go if there was a brake failure. Does anyone know if trucks have to pass any road worthy test??? 

Pass a road worthy test???    That's a good one. hahahaha

20 hours ago, MtnMama said:

To the OP - you might try a sound machine. It provides white noise that, at least for me, evens out the annoying outside noise. I used one when we lived in Brisas by what we fondly called 'the street of barking dogs'.

Thank you for thevrespectful reply to my question. 

23 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Pass a road worthy test???    That's a good one. hahahaha

Never seen a set of scales here either which is where a lot of things got caught - at least NOB.

On 7/24/2020 at 9:58 PM, geeser said:

I would suggest that the trucks are still braking on the flat in front of the hospital because their speed is still too high. 

I always hear jake brakes on the hill past Chapala Haciendas, then again on the flat between the Pemex & Sane - 'speed too high' between Jake brakes and downshifting speed shouldn't be an issue.  I thought speed limits were just mild suggestions anyway.

1 hour ago, dano1948 said:

Yes, trucks are inspected once a year, and given a sticker with month and year of the inspection and stuck on the windshield...

So your saying the truck that delivered the sand & gravel to my house was inspected .... then why did he have to spray starter fluid into the air intake to get it to run, had to do this 3 times just to back up 3 meters, then figure out how to hold down the gas, undo the box level and dump the load before the truck died again.

12 hours ago, WideSky said:

So your saying the truck that delivered the sand & gravel to my house was inspected .... then why did he have to spray starter fluid into the air intake to get it to run, had to do this 3 times just to back up 3 meters, then figure out how to hold down the gas, undo the box level and dump the load before the truck died again.

Inspections even in the states does not include the ease of starting. They deal only with safety equipment: brakes, lights, turn signals, wipers, seat belts.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2020 at 9:32 AM, geeser said:

Inspections even in the states does not include the ease of starting. They deal only with safety equipment: brakes, lights, turn signals, wipers, seat belts.

Yeah but it's got to run during the inspection and this truck barely did. I also forgot to mention having someone wedging rocks under the tires.