Chapala.com Webboard

Engine/ Jake Brakes

Does anyone know why we are hearing so many trucks coming into town on the main highway into Lakeside using their Jake Brakes? It starts at 5 am and goes on all-day into the evening.  It seems to us that there is so much more truck traffic coming into our community. 

Can anything be done about this? Any ideas would-be appreciated. I can only imagine that the hotel across from Chapala Haciendas is fed up. Alot of residents in Brisas and Haciendas are about crazy with the constant blaring of these Jake Brakes. How about our Chapala Expat Liason? We need help.

11 minutes ago, Guiness said:

Does anyone know why we are hearing so many trucks coming into town on the main highway into Lakeside using their Jake Brakes? It starts at 5 am and goes on all-day into the evening.  It seems to us that there is so much more truck traffic coming into our community. 

Can anything be done about this? Any ideas would-be appreciated. I can only imagine that the hotel across from Chapala Haciendas is fed up. Alot of residents in Brisas and Haciendas are about crazy with the constant blaring of these Jake Brakes. How about our Chapala Expat Liason? We need help.

Here is some help for you that was told to me by a wise old mexican about things like this: "DON'T LISTEN".  That is your cheapest help. A more expensive help for you is to move from living on a long grade on the most used road into Chapala.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Guiness said:

Where is this sign located? Any idea who we need to speak to about getting more put up?

https://www.google.com.mx/maps/@20.3023456,-103.2372339,3a,90y,306.13h,83.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sT_s1JmqEcoZ_JjtyGyOB_g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Coming down a gradient It would be difficult to stop a fully loaded truck without using the Jake brake..,The Brake shoes would get so hot and you would get so much brake fade. The truck would need to slow well before the downhill. Trucks have a 3 stage Jake brake I assume they are using the 3rd stage, if they would use the 1st stage it would be a lot quieter.  Using the Jake  brake save a lot of wear on the brake shoes..

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, oregontochapala said:

You can bet that if you were driving a loaded truck down the hill from well above Chapala Haciendas into town your brakes would be being used not to disturb the peace, but to slow your speed without burning out your brakes.

That's a steep hill and anyone with a brain who has driven it knows why they are braking. 

Hola. No one is suggesting that truckers should not use downshifting to slow down on steep grades. But can you explain why they feel the need to do the same on a flat caraterra in a hospital zone?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Guiness said:

The road was there a long time before the expats, the trucks were using  Jake bakes long before the expats arrived ..  Would it be that difficult to figure out “Live close to the Hwy get a lot of traffic noise”.  There are ways to stop the noise, I have stayed in several airport hotels that were right next to the runway yet you can’t  hear the planes land or take off. 
You could replace you’re windows with triple pane ones,  install insulated doors.  Call in a contractor who specializes in sound proofing buildings..  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, oregontochapala said:

Oh, you're the same one who claimed sirens "scream" past the Haciendas. We live very close to the carretera and we hear the occasional siren as well as trucks braking. None are bothersome, nor excessive.

Find a hobby, do your own gardening and housework, learn to bake bread, or do anything constructive so you are not so annoyed by life that you have to bitch about inconsequential day to day happenings. Life here is as easy as you make it and you are making it ridiculously difficult by focusing on what should be a blip in your day.

Be happy, not crappy.

If you recall, the day I asked about all the screaming sirens was the day that in fact there were 8 people rescued from abduction in Chapala. You are rude and non informed.

8 hours ago, headpooch said:

They also do it in front of the San Antonio Hospital, not just the libramento. Sometimes sets off nearby car alarms it's so loud. 

Just happens all the time in that fantasy world but SA Hospital  is in SAT.   I have set in the parking lot at the Hospital for hours trying to get my car alarm to do that.  How many alarms can the trucks set off at one time???....in the fantasy world.

9 hours ago, oregontochapala said:

You can bet that if you were driving a loaded truck down the hill from well above Chapala Haciendas into town your brakes would be being used not to disturb the peace, but to slow your speed without burning out your brakes.

That's a steep hill and anyone with a brain who has driven it knows why they are braking. 

Over the years we have seen a half dozen trucks on their sides at the intersection. I always they were the ones who did not use the engine braking. The braks would fade so much fron the heat that they would not slow a loaded truck. I would suggest that the trucks are still braking on the flat in front of the hospital because their speed is still too high.