Chapala.com Webboard

Shaw # 3

As there have been a few Shaw topics of late I thought I would give it a number. One evening last week we were watching Channel 175 which is ctv Saskatoon then switched to 176 and then it came on as satellite has lost reception, I then tried the bed room tv and when I switched  to 176 it came on as as lost satellite signal. I went on Shaw site and did a chat and they said the dish was out of alignment and they would have some one out the next after noon to adjust the dish but sadly had to decline the offer. So I had Ajijic Electronics out to adjust the dish but they could not do any thing as it was with in the range of the satellite. And then said those numbers are no longer available here. So my question is are there other people here on Shaw on the western feed do you or not get these channels. I know most everyone here is on the eastern feed.

I have a Western Feed, but sadly I am up north for a while and perhaps can not help you. And I do not have the channel #s that you have unless you decided to keep the classic channel listing from the old Star Choice days before it became Shaw direct, So my question to you is not what is the number of the channel you can't get unless you have the old schedule, rather what is the name of the channel you have just lost?  Oh and what size of dish are you using Maybe the elliptical 75E provided by Shaw or a larger dish with several LNBs?

The channel 175 is Global Saskatoon Sask. and the 176 channel is CTV Saskatoon Sask. and the dish is a 75E with the XKU LNB.. Not sure what the package is called but it is of limited size, and Shaw says they are on our package and  we should be getting them but of course they don't know we are in Mexico. We have always had them until one night last week.

I had a similar problem last week with channel 232; I did a factory default reset then had to call Shaw to re-authorize the receiver and still couldn't get 232. The tech guy at Shaw told me to check the cables. The next day 232 worked, that night it rained and 232 didn't work. So I think I have a problem when the cables get wet. Must be time to replace those 12 year old cables on the roof.

Bad news, Peterh. As you have probably heard, those of us living lakeside were getting many of the Shaw Direct satellites from two of the three satellites Shaw uses. We can not get programming from the newer satellite, Anik G-1 because its signals are better focused on Canada, and its signals don’t bleed into Mexico.

The experts are saying that the two older satellites are slowly being fazed out and once they are gone, we will no longer be able to receive Shaw Direct via satellite in Mexico. The two channels you mentioned are no longer on either of the old satellites so we cannot receive them anymore in Mexico. How can I tell that they are not on the two older satellites? I looked at the on-screen TV guide and the two channels you mentioned, were no longer there.

How fast are the channels being transferred off of the two older satellites to the new Anik G-1? I do not know. Maybe someone here knows and would like to comment thereon.

Now I understand that there is Shaw programming over the internet. I believe ArtSnob mentioned it a while back. I sure hope so, especially if it includes my Seattle and Vancouver channels

Thanks johanson I have known time was running out for the Shaw satellites but it was very strange for those 2 channels to switch off like a light turned off. Our channel list still shows the 2 channels and others that we don't get and are supposed to get oh well I guess the demise of Shaw Satellite is on the way.

Thanks Out !  but my cables are 1 year old and I have checked with volt meter and they are fine, and by the sounds of things wont be needing them much longer.

18 hours ago, Out1 said:

I had a similar problem last week with channel 232; I did a factory default reset then had to call Shaw to re-authorize the receiver and still couldn't get 232. The tech guy at Shaw told me to check the cables. The next day 232 worked, that night it rained and 232 didn't work. So I think I have a problem when the cables get wet. Must be time to replace those 12 year old cables on the roof.

Another reason could be that when it rains the trees get heavy and obstruct the signal, when they dry off no more interruption. It may not be the cables but it be the connections that may have some corrosion build up.

Check this link to see the Anik F1, F1R and G1 satellites and their ranges; https://www.satbeams.com/footprints?beam=7526