Chapala.com Webboard

Advice to treat miniature orange tree

The leaves on my little orange tree (calamondine) are covered in black spots. I've been using a toothbrush and my own nails to scrape them off, but getting each leaf just isn't possible. What can I get or make to treat this? Soapy water doesn't seem to be the answer...   

My mandarin tree was more black than green and it took several applications of soapy water dousing for it to get back to normal; the black doesn't wash off but the new growth will not have the black spots. I wouldn't try to scrape off the black as you may damage the leaves.
The soapy water kills the pest causing the black.

1 hour ago, WideSky said:

My mandarin tree was more black than green and it took several applications of soapy water dousing for it to get back to normal; the black doesn't wash off but the new growth will not have the black spots. I wouldn't try to scrape off the black as you may damage the leaves.
The soapy water kills the pest causing the black.

Exactly.

It's caused by aphids.  Their poop lands on the leaves where it makes a fungus.  There are sprays for the aphids.  It's best to catch it early or it can kill your tree.  Although, I've seen citrus trees covered with the black fungus and after pruning SEVERELY, the new sprouts are fine.

the black fungus comes from scale which is difficult to wipe out.  To prevent the insects from settling spray with watr garlic and chile, that s what my indigenous friends told me to do.. It is more preventve than curative but it helps when the insects that become scale fly around in the spring. Nor we have the palomits or little moth looking things that are everywhere...

I sprayed the whole tree with soapy water with Neem oil added to it and then rubbed the black off every leaf by hand.