Chapala.com Webboard

Hiking

I have recently moved to Ajijic and am currently renting a house in Ajijic. I finally found the perfect house for me and my dog and cat. I will be moving in mid August to the new house which is located in San Antonio, Riberas del Pilar. I love to hike and was hoping to find some people to give me advice on which hiking trails are the best and hope to meet people to hike with me.  

• Like 1

Never argue with them, just talk to them and come up to an agreement or not.. .

. When I go to Oaxaca I stay iwith indigenous in an indigenous town and one day the family decided to go hiking on the rancho, (land of the village) and hike onto the next rancho. One of the man with us was an elder of the village.. When we got to the next village he went to pay his respect to an elder of the neighboring village and ask permission to hike the rancho. We got the ok.. then I   realized  that the village had a public road  crossing it so there were plenty of strangers coming and going there without permission, but between neghbors they did ask forpermission and got it.. This is how it is done..  Arguing is a sure way to get a no for ever-

The elder maybe defensive because there is acontroversy about them selling comunal or ejidal land so they may not want people snooping around on their land and taking pictures of new building sites

.Unfortunately some of the most popular hiking trails have been closed off ..by the local Ejido population....for the last few weeks they have refused entry to anyone they do not consider “ local ejido “....In my opinion they don’t have the right to do this....just as you can’t close off a beach to the Mexican population ...you cannot close access to the Sierra Madres ,  This land...which they are custodians of was meant to be used for communal agriculture , grazing and homesteading..etc..Locally it’s pretty much abandoned... we hike into the  mountains every week and have done so for over 10 years...and will continue to do so .

• Sad 2

That is why I put indigeous  with quotation marks.. they have lost all indigenous customs , it seems, language and culture..  went to one of the meetings with indigenous from Chiapas one day to hear what they had to say and the indigeous from Chiapas said to me , these people are not indigenous.. if you have comunal land, , you take care of it, you cultibate it , you do not sell it and if you do not care of it, you lose it but that is between them and the locals aand as foreigners or strangers to the area we have nothing to say

Of course they can do it. It is community owned land. Owned being the operative word. You are talking about State or Federally owned land versus private property. They have allowed hiking for years and I am guessing it has gotten out of hand. From experience owning property in the national forest in Colorado, some people respected the land and some didn't.

• Like 3

Mtn mama........ you guess...? it might of  “ gotten “ out of hand and they are tired of  “ it “...firstly..have you been up there recently or ever. ? ..probably not . Over the past 12 years or so , the trails are deserted most days...we may come across ...half a dozen or so people in  2–3. hours .Busier on the weekends with local families and young Tapatios enjoying this beautiful resource...The trails are almost 100 % free of trash..noticeably absent are also any signs of cultivation , grazing. ( we do see a few cows and an occasional horse or two ) or habitation .Mexican Law states...Ejidotarios do not actually own the land .. they are allowed to use their allotted parcels indefinitely as long as they do not fail to use this land for more than 2 years ..one of the reasons they tend not to have deeds..so they cannot sell what they really don’t own .  So before you comment.......

• Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 6:48 PM, Dawn Wilson said:

I have recently moved to Ajijic and am currently renting a house in Ajijic. I finally found the perfect house for me and my dog and cat. I will be moving in mid August to the new house which is located in San Antonio, Riberas del Pilar. I love to hike and was hoping to find some people to give me advice on which hiking trails are the best and hope to meet people to hike with me.  

We have lived here for only 10 months.

As far as hiking here is what we have found:

Our first trip up the hill we took the road that goes north past Dona's Donuts past the school then right a few hundred feet and on the left is the trail before going into a housing frac or whatever one might call it. That will go on and on but soon is where the waterfall is but it was dry at the time. It has some dangerous spots, unless you are a hiker climber, up the waterfall and beyond.  We took a 2 hour hike one way and thought we were going to the temple that is visible in the dry season but never found it.

Recently we did find the trail to the temple at the very top end of Galeana street turn left onto the trail and keep going up to 5518 ft and there is the temple. There are several misleading paths one of which leads back into Ajijic further west of Galeana. We live several blocks east of Galeana and it is a 2 hour round trip for us. It is a much easier trail than the first one with very nice views of the lake along the way and at the destination. It might be best to have someone show you unless you don't mind getting off tract a time or two. We have only met a total of 4 or 5 people  on the two hikes up there.

• Thanks 1

Upfron, I said talk to them and ask permission. , they have the right to say no and if you go anyways you are trespassing... If you want to challenged their ownership go to a lawyer.. It has been tried before..and so far , they do what they want.

They say it is ejidal land but they also say they have some kind of grant from the Spaniards which would make the land communal as Ejidos were formed during the Revolution so I am not sure what the land is.. There is a ejidal house near the school in upper Ajijic.. or was.. Maybe some of it is comunal and some of it ejidal, who knows..either way they have the right to close off the trails.

2 hours ago, Upfront said:

again i never said nothing about even wanting to go hikeing. why do you have me trespassing. why do you have me challening their ownership. I AM THE ONE who said you wont get anywher with them. because they do what they want. you were all hearts and hippies oh just go up and have a discussion.my only response was GOOD LUCK. leave me out of it

2 hours ago, Upfront said:

again i never said nothing about even wanting to go hikeing. why do you have me trespassing. why do you have me challening their ownership. I AM THE ONE who said you wont get anywher with them. because they do what they want. you were all hearts and hippies oh just go up and have a discussion.my only response was GOOD LUCK. leave me out of it

You can leave yourself out of it.

• Like 1

I live up  by one of those trails that leads toward the Cross and more than twenty years ago, a group of us would hike to the cross and to other destinations higher up. We understood it was/is ejido land  and I have talked to the ejidos I even ,learned how to say hello is several native Indian languages, but we were never  told by anyone that they minded if we hiked on their land and we did it almost every day for about four years. Are they suggesting that one not hike up to the cross these days

If anyone is interested in the facts why don’t they talk to the someone who was involved with the running of the hiking group. It’s my understanding that the hiking group received a letter from a lawyer representing the Ejido people informing the group they must register their members and pay fees to hike on Ejido land.The people running the decided it wasn’t worth the bother and decided to fold the group.. There is an article in the Guad reporter on page 8 dated May 16-22  stating that the hiking organization was contacted by a representative of the Ejido people who informed them that they will be imposing restrictions and collecting fees from the group.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Ian Greenwood said:

Upfront you don’t hike and you say you have no wish to hike so why the ....uck are you posting four times on this thread...keep this up  like mainecoon and mostly lost who post on every thread on every forum because they obviously don’t have a life .

What you say is not nice, but it is the TRUTH.    :D  Some people are experts on everything.