Chapala.com Webboard

Ilox communications

Hi Everyone, 

We have Ilox fiber optics set up in Chula Vista, but have been attempting to reach support for a couple reasons. First the upload and download speeds have been well below what the original contract was set out as (so tech support), plus we are requesting a credit on decreased service over a period of time. After attempted calls to the Ajijic office and Guadalajara office, nothing has really moved. If you have had any success or additional ideas that might work, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks so much, 

Regards, 

Susan

You might just stop in the AJIJIC office. One a Saturday morning a couple of weeks ago I asked for a speed upgrade. Laura took my card and charged about $4.00 for a prorate for this month then my next bill the higher charge was there.

The upgrade was immediate.

She didn't speak any English though but I know just enough to get by.

I don't know if she can help you with your slower than promised speed though.

I did call the Michoacon tech support and I think they resolved my no internet issue after I gave them details of who I was. I think at that time they had a technical issue on their side.

27 minutes ago, Upfront said:

worst service of any company around even telmex. not open on saturday so you got lucky. op, going to office is about th only way

Yeah, service is not good...but in my experience much better that Telmex. They have been going through some growing pains, however If you are persistent with email at noc@mail.ilox.mx and calling 376 109 0000 try both ex. 1 and 3. Frustrating yes, but my 80 to 90 download a Godsend compared to 2 - 4 from Telmex and also the outages and TERRIBLE service. Just my opinion.  

The ILOX main office is in Sahuayo, Michoacan, MX.  The office in Ajijic has an employee who is from Sahuayo.  If you do not speak Spanish well, you may want to take a bi-lingual friend with you.  Language miscommunication will not expedite a solution to your problem.  

I have yet to see an Ilox speed test, when done properly, that didn't pass.   You can't test over wifi, you should have a reasonably recent PC with a good cable connected to your router, nothing else connected, then go to nperf.com and use the default server that comes up.     If your speed is slow on that, then you may have a problem...otherwise  the problem is elsewhere. 

• Like 1

And Ookla speedtest stopped working correctly with ILOX about three weeks ago. Won't show over 50. It use to work.  Another thing I learned from experimenting is many older chrome books won't do WIFI over 50.  I have three of them all different and they all choke at 50 even using the 5.0 WIFI band. Now my HP windows machine does 80 with 2.4 band but does 150 over 5.0 band.  This is with ILOX 300 down service. So use fast or nperf for speed testing with ILOX. Wish we knew why these things change.  So it appears many older chromebook WIFI chips don't handle high speed WIFI.  All my computers are three years or older so I don't know whether newer chromebooks  have this limitation.  Somebody try it please.  I am curious.

There are several flavors of Wifi.  First you have 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz, then you have the wifi protocol, like 802.11g, or n, then you have MIMO on top of all that.   Multiple wifi users have to allocate the max available bandwidth among them, although not equally.   In all cases, you'll never go faster out to the Internet than the slowest link in the chain.  So if you have a 400 Mbps 5 Ghz MIMO wifi and a 20 Mbps Telmex connection, your speed test will never be faster than 20 Mbps.  

Early PC's and Ethernet cables maxxed out at 100 Mbps...If your trying to speed test your 300 Mbps Ilox with an older PC or Internet cable, it'll max out at 100 Mbs.  

Ilox is all fiber to their boundaries and rarely will a proper speed test not give you what your service says.  Proper means,  hard wired cable, preferably Gb Ethernet, good windows PC, and speed test to a boundary server, i.e. nperf and that Cananea Michoacan server.  If you get within 10% of your contract speed,  any other speed test, if slower, will only confirm the bottleneck is elsewhere.    And it could be at your cheapo or free streamer.  There, you might be getting what you pay for.   

I'm not saying Ilox or their connections may not have problems or be at fault.  My paid streaming services that were buffering on Ilox are now working better.  I don't know why.  Maybe Ilox changed something because a lot of people were complaining.  Imagine a chain between you and your provider than might have links of steel, spaghetti, thread, and rubber bands.  The only link you can really verify is the one to your ISP's boundary...If you select another server and  get a good speed, then the other links are good.  If you don't it can be very hard to figure out which upstream is the spaghetti, thread, or rubber band that is choking.   Google, Netflix, Youtube are services that have guaranteed strong links to the boundary.. they use CDN's (Content Delivery Networks) to guarantee transmission.  Which is why you rarely have problems with those. 

Good points Tom. I threw away all my cat 5 cables and switched to cat 6 when I got Fiber.  Steren can build them for you.  Others I know who use WIFI TV have reported better results lately also. So why are three different four year old chromebooks not go past 50 on both 2.4 and 5.0 WIFI bands using fast and nperf? Could this be HP and Samsung using slower chipsets for WIFI than my windows machine which rocks on WIFI.

If I understand you correctly, the chromebooks are speed limited...which is understandable, very cost driven...they would be the bottleneck....but if you are trying to test your Ilox boundary, you always want to test with nperf, and maybe fast (provided they connect you to the Sahuayo server); those are the only ones guaranteed not to have a bottleneck. 

Bottom line:  If your Ilox is working well on say Youtube or MX Netflix, speed testing is only going to show you the problems beyond Ilox.  Maybe some of those they can influence, some not.   But everyone is going to blame them.  I'm glad I'm not in that business.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2020 at 9:43 AM, Youngtimer said:

You might just stop in the AJIJIC office. One a Saturday morning a couple of weeks ago I asked for a speed upgrade. Laura took my card and charged about $4.00 for a prorate for this month then my next bill the higher charge was there.

The upgrade was immediate.

She didn't speak any English though but I know just enough to get by.

I don't know if she can help you with your slower than promised speed though.

I did call the Michoacon tech support and I think they resolved my no internet issue after I gave them details of who I was. I think at that time they had a technical issue on their side.

Thank you for the info. I am about to sign a year lease and couldn't decide which internet service to use.

Where is this office?