Chapala.com Webboard

Old painters tool, square pad name?

We have lived her for nine years and just recently saw a worker, not a painter using a square type pad to apply paint. I had heard about this tool years ago but didn't know it was still used.  After the project was completed I would just say it would never be used on my casa, very poor coverage.

It's called a paint pad and I wouldn't recommend it's use unless the walls  are perfectly smooth which most of these walls here aren't. On the other hand a skilled painter can do a fine job using one for edging as was done recently on our casa. Yes they are still available in various styles and shapes. See foto.

paint pad.jpg

window.jpg

Agree that the spongey surface of these is not ideal for masonry walls with texture.    The paint pad will get chewed up quickly, and not really get into the nooks and crannys of deeply textured surfaces, either.    They do, on the other hand, work really well on smooth wood or drywall surfaces, inside and out, and also on wood shakes, the kind of siding that has the vertical small grooves in it - excellent on that, the sponge goes in just enough to nicely fill and cover them.

• 2 weeks later...