Chapala.com Webboard

Pulque

Mainecoons

23 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Ask at the local bars like El Gato Negro in Chapala  (probably closed at this time)  Usually available on the highway to GDL near Agua Escondida and the entrance to Buena Vista.  You will see signs saying agua miel. Bring your own bottle. 

...And make sure you punch a hole in the cap of your bottle or you will be sorry you didn't.

32 minutes ago, Upfront said:

then you lead a sheltered life because there are thousands and thousands of roadside food and drink stands

Selling pulque? You are living a sheltered life if you are not concerned about where you buy this potentially deadly drink!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

Why don't you try some Pajarete from a roadside stand sometime? Great for your health also!!!

I have never seen anything but pulque casero (homemade) .......  There are a couple of brands available canned but where to buy?? And it doesn't taste the same.  As to pajarete the danger is very different because of the  unpasteurized milk. 

nutritional values of 1 liter of pulque

200 calories

11 g. of carbs

4 g protein

2 mg Vitamin B1

2 mg Vitamin B2

57 mg Vitamin C

100 mg Calcium

80 mg Phosphorus

7 mg Iron

Benefits

It can repair gut mucus

Treats kidney issues

Rich in probiotic bacteria which is good for your gut and entire digestive system

Can be used to treat lack of appetite

Has enzymes that activate the metabolism

Contains melatonin, which can be used to treat people suffering from insomnia

20 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

I have never seen anything but pulque casero (homemade) .......  There are a couple of brands available canned but where to buy?? And it doesn't taste the same.  As to pajarete the danger is very different because of the  unpasteurized milk. 

nutritional values of 1 liter of pulque

200 calories

11 g. of carbs

4 g protein

2 mg Vitamin B1

2 mg Vitamin B2

57 mg Vitamin C

100 mg Calcium

80 mg Phosphorus

7 mg Iron

Benefits

It can repair gut mucus

Treats kidney issues

Rich in probiotic bacteria which is good for your gut and entire digestive system

Can be used to treat lack of appetite

Has enzymes that activate the metabolism

Contains melatonin, which can be used to treat people suffering from insomnia

Nothing to do with the milk!!!

This from the Mexico News daily, June 12:

A drink made from fresh milk, chocolate, sugar and cane alcohol is coming to be known as the “drink of death” in Jalisco, where 25 people have died and 20 more have been sickened after drinking the concoction, known as pajarete. 

Health Minister Fernando Petersen Aranguren is asking residents not to consume artisanal drinks because the quality, purity and safety of cane alcohol used in their production cannot be guaranteed. 

Family members of Gustavo Chávez Anaya, who died on April 29 at age 61, say he only had one serving of the popular regional beverage before falling ill. 

“He felt his hands grow numb, his body heavy, and he could not see well after drinking it,” said his niece, Carolina Chávez.

His symptoms were typical of what occurs after drinking alcohol tainted with excessive levels of methanol. 

Typically used in solvents and antifreeze, methanol can metabolize to formaldehyde and formic acid in the liver and become toxic within a few hours of being ingested.

I have had pulque before from a reliable place, that being a stall in a Mercado outside Tlaquepaque where I was brought by a friend who is the Director of Tourism there. Not bad...has a little marijuana effect (not that I would know) but everything seemed brighter and I laughed a lot. All I am saying is be careful about any kind of alcoholic drink if it is not bottled or canned or you buy at a reputable place. 

13 minutes ago, kam said:

GH sticks to vino tinto - he doesn't need anything else - especially not any new, informed information

Yes, this is my favorite heart medication that I buy at a reputable place, that being Paz Liquor. Please read my response to ML for some new, informed information