Chapala.com Webboard

Fresh or frozen blueberries

blankletmusic

I know you said locally but since they don't last very long and I don't like to bother with freezing them I've been buying them frozen at Costco. They are very good.

Vendors selling them fresh are all over the place around here. 50-80 pesos per liter are the best. I call them blueberries on steroids because they are so big and boy are they good! I can't understand why anyone would buy this wonderful and readily available berry frozen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After you've washed the berries, soak them for a few minutes in vinegar water. I store mine in a much re-used container that has air-holes in the sides and once held cherry tomatoes (I think). I put a folded paper towel on the bottom and change it if it gets damp. I have kept the berries for up to 2 weeks although I usually eat them before that. Why would you ever buy frozen berries with the beautiful fresh berries we have here?

• Like 1

Ever since Mexico began producing blueberries, I have bought them fresh and grown locally, which for me is in Michoacán.  There's no comparison with frozen blueberries, IMHO.

I use them for pancakes, for muffins, for adding as fresh fruit to sugar-free natural yoghurt, for adding to salads, etc etc etc.  I usually pay $120 pesos for a kilo at Costco or less if I can buy from a seller on the street.  Walmart and other retail stores sell them for 60 pesos/170 grams, which IMHO is too expensive.