Chapala.com Webboard

Giving Up On Mexico after 20 years

Floradude

1 hour ago, cedros said:

I think I will stick with 3rd world for Mexico after navigating the streets and shops of Jocotepec for the last month.

"Third World countries included nations in Asia and Africa that were not aligned with either the United States or the Soviet Union. Now, in part because the Soviet Union no longer exists, the definition of Third World is outdated and considered offensive".15 jul. 2020
www.investopedia.com › terms › thi...
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, bmh said:

Land invasion is common in Southern Mexico... I know several cases of both Mexicans and expats who havelost the land they own to the zapatistas, ejidos and others..Buying large amount of land where the locals won small parcels just because you have he money does not seem to be a good idea. 

In Chiapas at 2h from San Cristobal a cuple of foreigners bought land at the entrance of Tonina and developped a macademia ranch alomg with a guest ranch, they worked the land , employed many locals and helped a lot of people 6 or 7 years later just before the first harvest came in , the zapatistas came in and took everything away. The ranch was called the Esmeralda Ranch near Ocosingo. The locals lost their jbs, the ranch is not cultivated with macademia any more as the zapatistas did not know how to work it and everything went to seed. The expat sued the government and never got anything.

Another time , I travelled with a rancher from Central Chiapas, he also lost everything to the zapatistas, he had to buy back the cattle..so he paid forit twice

A local artist in San Cristobal was invaded by his neighbors and he went all the way to AMLO and nothing was done and on and on.. Land invasion is big and very real in Mexico and many people lose everything they have invested.. that is why buying land in the country when you do not know the local going ons is a bad idea..

This is still the Wild West...

8 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:
"Third World countries included nations in Asia and Africa that were not aligned with either the United States or the Soviet Union. Now, in part because the Soviet Union no longer exists, the definition of Third World is outdated and considered offensive".15 jul. 2020
www.investopedia.com › terms › thi...

I think that is nonsense. I spent several hours today wandering around back streets of Jocotepec this morning and they can only be described as 3rd world. I can't think of a better way of describing them.