Chapala.com Webboard

Giving Up On Mexico after 20 years

Floradude

Could this be a case if "leading with your chin"?  If you go into known cartel territory and buy a big ranch, it shows you have money .  You might be "leading with your chin"  the cartel is probably going to target you.  Not saying the cartel has the right but it is just the way it is here.    

Just my opinion

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

All this about a low profile is all well and good, however, it doesn't change the main issue, which is you cannot live the way you want in safety for fear of being a crime victim because in this country there is no rule of law.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

29 minutes ago, Zeb said:

All this about a low profile is all well and good, however, it doesn't change the main issue, which is you cannot live the way you want in safety for fear of being a crime victim because in this country there is no rule of law.

I have lived here for 12 years exactly the way I want to and have not been a crime victim. Mexico is what it is in all its beauty and horror. You learn and blend in or you make a big splash and the sharks circle. Mexico is not going to change one whit because some foreigner stomps his foot and says “I’m leaving!” This guy had a very bad experience but Mexico has no pity. Suck it up and stay or pack up and go. Mexico does not care.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kyle said:

Could this be a case if "leading with your chin"?  If you go into known cartel territory and buy a big ranch, it shows you have money .  You might be "leading with your chin"  the cartel is probably going to target you.  Not saying the cartel has the right but it is just the way it is here.    

Just my opinion

That is what the writer states, there is no "rule of law in Mexico" and there is no "enforcement of contracts". That is why Mexico is still 3rd World and will always be. Corruption has always been the theme of governments and now, I agree, it has become "incompetence".

3 minutes ago, Xena said:

I have lived here for 12 years exactly the way I want to and have not been a crime victim. Mexico is what it is in all its beauty and horror. You learn and blend in or you make a big splash and the sharks circle. Mexico is not going to change one whit because some foreigner stomps his foot and says “I’m leaving!” This guy had a very bad experience but Mexico has no pity. Suck it up and stay or pack up and go. Mexico does not care.

That is exactly what the writer states ! He finally decided to pack it up.

36 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

That is what the writer states, there is no "rule of law in Mexico" and there is no "enforcement of contracts". That is why Mexico is still 3rd World and will always be. Corruption has always been the theme of governments and now, I agree, it has become "incompetence".

Mexico is a NIC, not a third world country.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, cedros said:

Thanks. So NIC can also be 3rd world.

No. “Newly industrialized country (NIC), country whose national economy has transitioned from being primarily based in agriculture to being primarily based in goods-producing industries, such as manufacturing, construction, and mining, during the late 20th and early 21st centuries. An NIC also trades more with other countries and has a higher standard of living than developing countries. However, it has not yet reached the level of economic advancement of developed countries and regions such as the United StatesJapan, and western Europe.”

9 hours ago, slainte39 said:

You are right Xena.

Mexico City, Guadalajara, Monterey, and other large cities are not agrarian economy based.

But much of the rest of Mexico is.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The first world countries were the prosperous, democracy loving. Second world were communist countries. Third world were everybody else, up for grabs by competing political examples. To call somewhere a third world country is no longer used. The vernacular introduced by the leader of the free world, is s#$% hole countries. Which does not earn any new friends or allies.

Also, for the record the"ugly americans" were the good guys, pitching in with engineering and sweat. The, I assume good looking ones, were swanning around looking for the next photo op or embassy party.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2020 at 8:36 PM, lakeside7 said:

Seriously what sort of country is it...I have difficult finding a good answer....many of its business, Telmex CFE, at times is reminiscent of a 4th world country!!!!

I have lived on a few islands in the Caribbean. Very well off islands and their internet and electricity, phone service make Mexico look incredible.

• 1 month later...

Land invasion is common in Southern Mexico... I know several cases of both Mexicans and expats who havelost the land they own to the zapatistas, ejidos and others..Buying large amount of land where the locals won small parcels just because you have he money does not seem to be a good idea. 

In Chiapas at 2h from San Cristobal a cuple of foreigners bought land at the entrance of Tonina and developped a macademia ranch alomg with a guest ranch, they worked the land , employed many locals and helped a lot of people 6 or 7 years later just before the first harvest came in , the zapatistas came in and took everything away. The ranch was called the Esmeralda Ranch near Ocosingo. The locals lost their jbs, the ranch is not cultivated with macademia any more as the zapatistas did not know how to work it and everything went to seed. The expat sued the government and never got anything.

Another time , I travelled with a rancher from Central Chiapas, he also lost everything to the zapatistas, he had to buy back the cattle..so he paid forit twice

A local artist in San Cristobal was invaded by his neighbors and he went all the way to AMLO and nothing was done and on and on.. Land invasion is big and very real in Mexico and many people lose everything they have invested.. that is why buying land in the country when you do not know the local going ons is a bad idea..

• Like 8