Chapala.com Webboard

Mexico Travel Game

Bisbee Gal

4+ hours so it's time to reveal...

Hacienda de Maltaraña  (also called La Bella Cristina) on the bank of the Rio Lerma in Jamay, Jalisco

Built by Manuel Cuesta Gallardo, one of the richest men of his day. He saw that the eastern end of the lake was shallow, marshy, and rich in silt deposited by the Lerma River.  Manuel persuaded President Porfirio Díaz to grant him a license to drain one third of Lake Chapala and sell the land for agriculture. Manuel built his dike across the lake from Jamay on the north shore to La Palma on the south shore, and also built raised dikes along each side of the Lerma River and its tributary the Duero River. The dike, which is 24.14 kilometers long altogether, was built between 1906 and 1909 Water was pumped out of the marshy areas and the land was sold. Back in those days Lake Chapala may have stretched as far southeast as Zamora.

In the same period (in the early years of the Revolution,) Manuel got the support of President Diaz to become Governor of Jalisco. He was in power for only 25 days before he resigned, being unable to control popular uprisings against him. He later ran for the National Senate, but his election was disqualified after it was shown that the number of ballots cast exceeded the number of voters.”

I lived and worked in Zamora (Jacona) for Siasport in the 70´s and the lake never was that far east in the the last 200 years,  and if it ever was it was way before recorded history. The famous géiser, northwest of La Rinconada (now dormant) would have been under water and families that I know that have lived there for hundreds of years never mentioned anything like that.  The lake did definitely reach the mouth of the Lerma at the point where the highway now crosses over to Briseñas.

20 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

I lived and worked in Zamora (Jacona) for Siasport in the 70´s and the lake never was that far east in the the last 200 years,  and if it ever was it was way before recorded history. The famous géiser, northwest of La Rinconada (now dormant) would have been under water and families that I know that have lived there for hundreds of years never mentioned anything like that.  The lake did definitely reach the mouth of the Lerma at the point where the highway now crosses over to Briseñas.

I am quoting published information. I am not saying the information in the story is right or wrong ..... However the

Map from 1818 shows the lake reaching very far south east. And there are certainly many geysers underwater throughout  the world. 

image.png.34a0173304fb000ef60599e1c6b49856.png

I can´t comment on the authenticity of the map of Don Jose Maria Narváez, but there would be a lot of villages  now, south and west of Zamora/Jacona that would have been under water then, that seem very old to me.  Even a good part of the  Rio Duero would have been under water.

Interesting, maybe at the high water level at the end of the temporada de lluvias, there was flooding.  Next time I´m over there I will be checking this out.

18 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Should be easy

AA J.JPG

Too much time..  Thought it would be easy,  .....

Jamay, Jalisco is famous for the monument erected in memory of Pope Pius IX. It was built on the initiative and under the care of the priest Don José María Zárate between the years of 1875 and 1879. It is very ornate and well worth a visit. A little over 1 hour from Chapala and a couple of nice lakefront seafood restaurants on the way. 

13 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Nuclear power plant.  Veracruz??

Laguna Verde, the only nuclear power plant in Mexico. It produces 4.5% of the national power. I first encountered it just after 9/11 and it was the most fortified place I have seen here. 

Laguna_Verde_2_800.png