Chapala.com Webboard

Cashing Treasury checks

Last year I signed by IRS tax refund check over to my son in Austin. No problem. Now he went to his bank with another signed over IRS check I mailed to him a few weeks ago and bank told him you can't sign over Treasury checks and that the check he cashed with them last year would probably bounce eventually (they have up to seven years). What can I do to cash my check? Help appreciated.

39 minutes ago, kmetzger said:

Last year I signed by IRS tax refund check over to my son in Austin. No problem. Now he went to his bank with another signed over IRS check I mailed to him a few weeks ago and bank told him you can't sign over Treasury checks and that the check he cashed with them last year would probably bounce eventually (they have up to seven years). What can I do to cash my check? Help appreciated.

I talked to my friendly canadian broker that I send a government refund with a friend, she agreed and when it was mailed from within Canada to her she put it into my account. 

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, joco69 said:

I talked to my friendly canadian broker that I send a government refund with a friend, she agreed and when it was mailed from within Canada to her she put it into my account. 

Question is regarding USA IRS check. Canadian circumstances don't apply.  

59 minutes ago, kmetzger said:

Only way I know of is to have an account open in the USA with your name on the account. Possibly your son could add you to his account?  

I have BBVA Mexico. Last time I checked they will not let me deposit US Treasury checks. Depositing a check online is a new to me. Would you have to scan it? I'm also expecting a check from a non-governmental source. I wonder if BBVA cashes those?

7 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Even before we had an account with Intercam we cashed 3rd party cheques including cheques from the Canadian Government. Those cheques were mailed to our PO box in Chapala. Talk to an account rep at Intercam. Ours is Alejandra who speaks English.

How long back was the experience you mentioned, I do not think that flexibility happens to day..Maybe I am wrong but banking regulations have become very strict

Edited by lakeside7

Last year I was in Austin and signed my IRS check over to my son. He cashed it. But this year the same bank said no and that the check from the year before would probably eventually bounce even up to 7 years later.