Chapala.com Webboard

Visa Expiration During COVID

Sonia

These are temporary programs and not all Inmigracion offices may implement. This process is available in San Miguel and where else, I do not know. 

1. Visa Expires When in Mexico

You may renew a Temporary Resident visa which has expired. There is no fine. There is no penalty. 

2. Visa Expires When Outside of Mexico

You may renew a Temporary Resident visa which has expired. There is no fine. There is no penalty. However, it is critical, when entering Mexico, that you complete an FMM and you must not mark tourist and best not to check any category and no stamp by Immigration staff. You must convince the immigration officer at your point of entry not to enter you as a tourist on their computers. If this happens you will be a tourist and you will need to start over at a Mexican consulate. 

www.soniadiaz.mx

They are respecting expired visas as there is a freeze in place but here they will only respect it if it happened after the first freeze was declared April 1, 2020, if before it could be difficult, depending on the circumstances, i.e. are you trying to use the expired out of country 55 day rule and when did the 55 days end, etc.

On 7/16/2020 at 5:43 PM, Intercasa said:

They are respecting expired visas as there is a freeze in place but here they will only respect it if it happened after the first freeze was declared April 1, 2020, if before it could be difficult, depending on the circumstances, i.e. are you trying to use the expired out of country 55 day rule and when did the 55 days end, etc.

Yes, they are respecting visas that expired as far back as in April. I am now using the humanitarian process for renewals. At first there were 3 fees.

Visa Expiration During COVID

These are temporary programs and not all Inmigracion offices may implement. This process is available in San Miguel and where else, I do not know. 

1.   Visa Expires When in Mexico

You may renew a Temporary Resident visa which has expired. There is no fine. There is no penalty and no 55 day rule.. 

2.   Visa Expires When Outside of Mexico

You may renew a Temporary Resident visa which has expired. There is no fine. There is no penalty. However, it is critical, when entering Mexico, that you complete an FMM and you must not mark tourist and best not to check any category and no stamp by Immigration staff. You must convince the immigration officer at your point of entry not to enter you as a tourist on their computers. If this happens you will be a tourist and you will need to start over at a Mexican consulate. I have one in process now.

TEMPORARY RESIDENT PROCESS STARTED WITHIN MEXICO

If your FMM tourist card expired and it has been renewed in Mexico under an humanitarian process you may apply for a Temporary Resident visa without leaving Mexico. The renewal will be for 1, 2 or 3 years. It is up to Inmigracion staff to determine how many years. These are higher financials vs what is required at a Mexican consulate.

Financial requirements below are based on an exchange rate of 22 to 1 for US $ and 16 to 1 for C$. On-line financial printouts are sufficient. Financials will require certified translations. These numbers are not the same as at a consulate.

• Investments ~$112,000 US / $154,000 C (20,000 days x minimum wage 123.22) with 12 months of individual statements, or
  • Monthly income ~$2404 US / $3080 C (400 days x minimum wage 123.22) employment or pension showing 6 months of bank statements, or·    
  •  Offer of employment

There is a review fee plus the regular Temporary Resident fees and the amount depends if your application is approved for 1, 2 or 3 years.

One parent may sponsor spouse and children once one spouse receives their temporary resident visa. In other words, only one person in a family needs to qualify with financials. On my web site www.soniadiaz.mx under visas / family is the process for sponsoring.