Chapala.com Webboard

WALMART San Antonio

Just spent one hour at Walmart to find out when paying at the Cash that they will not accept any plastic cards.

Went to INFO and was told yes but they could not tell me if it was something like System Down or a new policy. Suggested that they put a notice outside were customers check in for sanitary reason to avoid what I had to go through today.

I never pay Cash when its over 1000 Pesos!

1 minute ago, artsnob said:

I never use my cards at Walmart and those kind of stores, only cash, there are six ATM machines within a block of there to get safer cash

I never would  carry cash, just a small amount for small stuff, neither would I use an ATM at public location like WM, better safe than sorry.

1 minute ago, happyjillin said:

When physically shopping or paying for a service[e.g. mechanic] I use cash except in medical facilities. Used cash everywhere in Canada too. Means I don't hold up the line at checkout to the benefit of the people behind me.

Sorry but in truth my experience is people paying cash take much longer in Walmart digging in their purses or wallets counting their change. .I put my card in the machine enter my PIN and it's done 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Using a card to get cash.... is safer than using a card to pay?  ......Sorry just not logical. 

I always pay by ccard. The points add up fast. Filled my tank  a few times last year. 

I do agree with you, especially now with lots of robberies going.

18 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

When physically shopping or paying for a service[e.g. mechanic] I use cash except in medical facilities. Used cash everywhere in Canada too. Means I don't hold up the line at checkout to the benefit of the people behind me.

Paying with a card is faster than cash especially in Mexico. They often run out of change and then you are holding up the line!

If you get your money from an ATM, all you are going to get is one 100 peso bill, two 200 peso bills and all kinds of $00s and if you pay with these, it will take a long time and you could be holding up the line.  Why not open a banking account and wire your funds to that account, usually getting a better rate of exchange when the bank receives the dollars and converts them to pesos.  Next, when you get funds ask for 20s, 50s, 100s, 200s etc and when you buy sometime pay in cash using those smaller bills along with your 500s if necessary and pay close to the exact amount owed, and it's not going to take the cashier much time when the change is just a few pesos.

Oh sure, if what I am buying  costs a lot of money, I would use my credit or debit card, because I do not believe it's smart to carry large amounts of cash..

Life is so much easier when you have the option to use either a north of the border credit/debit card or one from a Mexican bank.

• Like 1

I came down in 1997 and yes, some stores have said we do not take credit cards, but if they take them, I have yet to be turned down. I have been told by places like Costco, that we only take VISA cards, and mine happen to be Visa cards, so there was never a problem

1 hour ago, sm1mex said:

So are they taking CC now. 

Don´t know about now but at 2PM they were not able to access approval of credit cards because of a problem with their internet connection.  Nothing to do with a new policy or no electricity, just a computer glitch of some sort. The powers that be were aware and trying to figure out what happened and get it corrected.  Some one told me they were able to get cash from the ATM in Walmart, as it is a different system.  I didn´t check it out as I had enough cash with me to pay for purchases

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Sorry but in truth my experience is people paying cash take much longer in Walmart digging in their purses or wallets counting their change. .I put my card in the machine enter my PIN and it's done 

That's true for some and it's about equal to the usual credit/debit card hold up but I have my cash ready and pay in nano seconds.

14 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

how did they run the cash register? Must have been really dark inside....

The store had light, the cash register worked, its just when I as usual presented my card l was told they did not accept any card, so I left all there without paying.

11 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Don´t know about now but at 2PM they were not able to access approval of credit cards because of a problem with their internet connection.  Nothing to do with a new policy or no electricity, just a computer glitch of some sort. The powers that be were aware and trying to figure out what happened and get it corrected.  Some one told me they were able to get cash from the ATM in Walmart, as it is a different system.  I didn´t check it out as I had enough cash with me to pay for purchases

This was the report we needed.  Thanks.

Can anyone confirm working OK today?

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, johanson said:

I came down in 1997 and yes, some stores have said we do not take credit cards, but if they take them, I have yet to be turned down. I have been told by places like Costco, that we only take VISA cards, and mine happen to be Visa cards, so there was never a problem

Agree long back in the past this did happen regularly except in large stores of which we had none at Lakeshore.

2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Saturday morning at 8:30AM  card was used without problem.

Great to know but did take no chance and went to Soriana instead, store much better organized than WM and all back on the shelves without employees blocking the passage like it seems the rule now at WM.

1 hour ago, Upfront said:

of course it was. silly gringo rumors

What exactly do you mean with "silly gringo rumors"? If its to what I reported its not a rumor its a fact and by the way I am not a gringo!

I think the silly part was that you offered the possibility that it might be a "new policy"  when anyone would know that is not a possibility at Walmart and that it was some sort of a technical  problem.

Whether that is what is meant by "silly gringo rumors", I have no idea, and couldn´t care less if you are a gringo or born in Botswana.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1