Chapala.com Webboard

TEMPORARY RESIDENT PROCESS STARTED WITHIN MEXICO / NOT A CONSULATE

Sonia

TEMPORARY RESIDENT PROCESS STARTED WITHIN MEXICO - Revised

This is a Federal INM directive. However, some INM offices may not implement. This is doable in San Miguel de Allende.

If your FMM tourist card expired and it has been renewed in Mexico under an humanitarian process you may apply for a Temporary Resident visa without leaving Mexico. The renewal will be for 1, 2 or 3 years. It is up to Inmigracion staff to determine how many years. These are higher financials vs what is required at a Mexican consulate.

Financial requirements below are based on an exchange rate of 22 to 1 for US $ and 16 to 1 for C$

• Investments ~$112,000 US / $154,000 C (20,000 days x minimum wage 123.22) with 12 months of individual statements, or

• Monthly income ~$2404 US / $3080 C (400 days x minimum wage 123.22) employment or pension showing 6 months of bank statements, or

• Offer of employment

There is a review fee plus the regular Temporary Resident fees depending if it is for 1, 2 or 3 years.

One parent/spouse may sponsor spouse and children once one spouse receives their temporary resident visa. In other words, only one person in a family needs to qualify with financials. On my web site under visas / family is the process for sponsoring. 

Financials will require certified translations. 

I also have an office in Puerto Vallarta.

• 2 weeks later...

Sonia, could you clarify something, which doesn't pertain directly to this but is related. I am a permanent resident and a few years I inquired at INM about sponsoring my adult daughter. I was told that to sponsor a child, that child has to be a dependent- either under-age or dependent because they are handicapped or something like that. In other words, if she had been 16 instead of 32, I could have sponsored her. Does that hold true whenever mention is made of sponsoring a child?

18 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Sonia, could you clarify something, which doesn't pertain directly to this but is related. I am a permanent resident and a few years I inquired at INM about sponsoring my adult daughter. I was told that to sponsor a child, that child has to be a dependent- either under-age or dependent because they are handicapped or something like that. In other words, if she had been 16 instead of 32, I could have sponsored her. Does that hold true whenever mention is made of sponsoring a child?

What you were told was correct. FYI an adult child may sponsor an adult parent.

2 hours ago, Sonia said:

What you were told was correct. FYI an adult child may sponsor an adult parent.

Thank you for the reply. I was aware that an adult child could sponsor a parent, but that seems strange to me- that an adult child can sponsor a parent, but that a parent can't sponsor an adult child. I guess maybe the thinking is that the adult child needs to look after the parent, but that wouldn't necessarily be the case.