Chapala.com Webboard

Police are ticketing in SAT now

17 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

Whaaaat??? This is news to me. So why all the hit and runs?

The hit and runs are because if there is an injury you are going to jail. In jail you will be administered a mandatory alcohol test. You will probably spend the night. If you have seen the local jail you would run too. 

48 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

I do not think it was mandatory  to have insurance..has that changed??

Jalisco transportation law articles 44,46 section III and 69 requires liability insurance.  Federal law requires liability insurance on federal roadways. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Jalisco transportation law articles 44,46 section III and 69 requires liability insurance.  Federal law requires liability insurance on federal roadways. 

What about the carretera, libramiento or just the cobblestone pueblo streets? Very confusing!

Just now, Mostlylost said:

I have never experienced having to show/prove that I carry  liability insurance to renew my car licences. It maybe  a FL law but when Mexican Law been enforced???  

57 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

I have never experienced having to show/prove that I carry  liability insurance to renew my car licences. It maybe  a FL law but when Mexican Law been enforced???  

I think it now has now been confirmed here that minimum liability insurance is required everywhere, on any road in Mexico. Some posts here were confusing since there were no answers as to why, when you are stopped (for any reason) you are not asked for your car registration and proof of insurance? I know that in the US (and other countries) this is SOP (Standard Operating Procedure). Just asking....   

You will be ask for your proof of liability insurrance if you are in a car wreck and if someone is hurt, You have to remain at the disposal of the MP for 72 hours so you could spend up to 3 days in jail. I know I spent 2 days and one night in jail and believe me it is nasty. I had liability and legal aid so good luck to you if you do not have those. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gringohombre said:

I think it now has now been confirmed here that minimum liability insurance is required everywhere, on any road in Mexico. Some posts here were confusing since there were no answers as to why, when you are stopped (for any reason) you are not asked for your car registration and proof of insurance? I know that in the US (and other countries) this is SOP (Standard Operating Procedure). Just asking....   

The 17 times police in Mexico have stopped me they all asked to see my drivers license and registration.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gringohombre said:

The light on the East (top of Jesus Garcia one way going North) is absolutely essential to us in lower SAT. If not there we would have major problems (and accident risks)  trying to turn left (West) onto the Carretera. Also the one the East side allows entry the other way (South) into town. Both essential in my humble opinion. 

I can´t believe it but you are absolutely correct and we agree on something.. I also live on Jesus Garcia and getting on the Carretera is impossible without the lights.  Many cars funnel to the lights just to get on the Carretera.  Both lights essential in my humble opinion also.  I think most residents of SAT would gladly petition against any act of the traffic lights removal.

9 hours ago, WideSky said:

SAT = San Antonio Tlayapacan          The community between Walmart and Hospital San Antonio

9 hours ago, WideSky said:

SAT = San Antonio Tlayapacan          The community between Walmart and Hospital San Antonio

The community between La Floresta (Ajijic) and most of Riberas del Pilar (Chapala)

9 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Yet traffic moves smoother and no one has a problem when the lights are out.  Same goes for Ajijic central. When they put them on intermittent, traffic is much smoother. Less wait time entering from side streets as well. In SAT I have no problem entering from Super Lake and it would be easier without the traffic light back ups. 

How many times a day or even in a week do you enter from SuperLake.  I have to enter at least 6 times a day, picking up people and other errands, shopping , work related, etc.,  You must do a lot of shopping at SL if you´re in that category

8 hours ago, gringohombre said:

If you don't live in lower SAT then you probably don't give a good GD how we get in and out of town. There is no light at Super lake and from there to go West on the Carretera incurres a dangerous maneuver. Suggest you go East on the lateral to the light to make a safer exit. 

Definitely worth repeating…………..

6 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

The 17 times police in Mexico have stopped me they all asked to see my drivers license and registration.

Of course they ask you for drivers license and registration, my question still is...why do they not ask for proof of insurance?

25 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Nobody said that.  Re-read and re-think.  It may help, but that is not guaranteed.

I said:

"Of course they ask you for drivers license and registration, my question still is...why do they not ask for proof of insurance?"

Lakeside7 said:

"Why should they..What about your emission sticker? ...Or has that one in limbo???again!!"

I responded:

"So you are saying that an emission sticker is more important than insurance coverage?"  

Maybe you should re-read a chain before snarky remarks...just my opinion!

•  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

I said:

"Of course they ask you for drivers license and registration, my question still is...why do they not ask for proof of insurance?"

Lakeside7 said:

"Why should they..What about your emission sticker? ...Or has that one in limbo???again!!"

I responded:

"So you are saying that an emission sticker is more important than insurance coverage?"  

Maybe you should re-read a chain before snarky remarks...just my opinion!

•  

I just re-read  No one said an emissions sticker was more important than insurance. Just said they had been asked for it.

If you really want to know why a traffic policeman doesn't ask for proof of insurance I doubt anyone on this board could give you a valid answer. If you really want to know...... here is the place to get an answer that would be valid:  You will get an response... it may take up to 90 days

https://www.jalisco.gob.mx/es/atencion-ciudadana/reportes-y-denuncias/comunicate-con-el-gobernador

Again, I don't even know why I try:

Lakeside7 said about cops asking drivers for proof of insurance:

"Why should they..What about your emission sticker? ...Or has that one in limbo???again

I said:

I happen to think that it is much more important for drivers to have at least minimum liability insurance than an emission sticker. If I am in a bad accident caused by a driver without insurance and get a life threatening injury, I surely don't expect the cop to be looking for his/her emission sticker....and most likely that person will be out of there anyway.