Chapala.com Webboard

Need a higher calorie higher fat food for picky older cat

Max is now 12 years old and has problems maintaining weight.  Vet says switch to higher calorie higher fat food.  Plenty of top quality brands for this NOB but what is available locally here or in GDL and where to find?  Forget about raw food, tried that and he wouldn't touch it.  I'm betting some of you have dealt with this problem.  Suggestions and recommendations?

Thank you!

Don’t know if it is available here but there is a high fat, high calorie “stuff” to supplement their diet. It was like a large tube of meat-flavored tooth paste.  Of course, in theory you could squeeze some in with their food. Non starter for my cat. She ate all around it and refused to eat at all when I mixed it in with her food. So much for “Cats love the flavor!” Vet suggested squeezing some on a plate. No again. I ended up putting some on my finger and putting it on the roof of the cat’s mouth so she had no choice but to swallow it. After a bit she began to like it. Best of luck to you and Max.

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

Max is now 12 years old and has problems maintaining weight.  Vet says switch to higher calorie higher fat food.  Plenty of top quality brands for this NOB but what is available locally here or in GDL and where to find?  Forget about raw food, tried that and he wouldn't touch it.  I'm betting some of you have dealt with this problem.  Suggestions and recommendations?

Thank you!

Sent you a pm

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

Considering the fact trying to get petromalt down him to help with hairballs this probably wouldn't work.

Blue Buffalo has some foods that could work for him.  Have you seen anyplace here that has it?

I have not noticed. It seems that Pet Avenue has the largest assortment of premium pet foods.

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Thank you.  Got it and responded.  He already eats Virbac senior kibble but he won't eat enough of it to maintain his weight. 

Just sent you another p.m. 

For purposes of general info here only, a 12 year old who   won't eat , especially  a tasty and nutritious food like Virbac, needs looking at..... heart, BP,  and kidney issues are right up there among other things.

• Like 1

Pet Store in Riberas (other than Friends of the Animals) would be  "Pet Place Veterinaria"........ 1/2 block EAST, same side of highway, as Ladron Clinic.  If they don't have any in stock they will get it for you.  Reduced hours:  10 - 3 Mon - Fri.  Not sure about Saturdays.

They have the Royal Canin gastrointestinal high energy in can.  It is definitely Royal at nearly $3 per can.  :D 

Brought two cans home for him to try.  He wolfed it down.  Looks like that is what he'll be eating along with his Virbac dry.

Again, thanks to all of you for the help!

• Like 3

To try and get more Virbac into him, dry putting single layer in plastic bag, small amounts at a time, and pound with hammer or meat tenderizer thing until like coarse granules (instant coffee size?). Then mix some of the pulverized Virbac into the canned.  You'll trick him into getting denser caloric ingestion while enjoying his canned treat.

I'm going to try that with my old gal (in our p.m.'s) and see how it goes.

16 minutes ago, Natasha said:

Could you please tell us the price you paid in PESOS..... thank you!

60 pesos per can but he devoured it once from a fresh can but wouldn't touch again.  So we are still looking for something he will eat consistently in addition to the Virbac which he does eat consistently.

7 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

60 pesos per can but he devoured it once from a fresh can but wouldn't touch again.  So we are still looking for something he will eat consistently in addition to the Virbac which he does eat consistently.

My guy does that too sometimes once the can has been refrigerated.  Try microwaving or heating it up little to revive the "aroma"...

Yeah, my wife did that.  You have no idea how spoiled this cat is.  :D 

8 hours ago, Holalola said:

My guy does that too sometimes once the can has been refrigerated.  Try microwaving or heating it up little to revive the "aroma"...

Yeah, my wife did that.  You have no idea how spoiled this cat is.  :D 

Doesn't EVERYBODY warm up from-the-fridge canned food?  My 5 would be in a SUPER snit over such cruel and inhuman punishment 🤣