Chapala.com Webboard

Alfaro Warns of Shutdown If Jalisco Numbers Slip

Rules mean nothing w/o enforcement and penalties.

What do yo do? Fine people that don't have money and/or take away money they need for food? Put them in jail where they are confined in close quarters w/others that may have CV?

Every expert around the World says face-masks can make a major difference, but in Chapala, I see many, many people not wearing them, especially at bus stops, lines going into the banks on Monday morning and just people chatting in groups of 3-5.

Finding problems is easy, having and implementing workable workable solutions is not.

• Like 1

Eric, seriously, if México is too dangerous for you I hear that Greenland now has zero cases (and that isn't a joke,  Iceland is also a grest place btw.) Mexico is a democratic republic similar to the USA and Canada.  It is not a dictatorship or a Nazi state.  The government has no mandate to restrict the freedoms of its citizens to this magnitude to forcibly protect its citizens.  We have freedoms and rights, the government is wrong to make such power grabs when the mortality rate is less than 1 percent and dropping day by day.  Even if face masks help slightly (better than nothing according to most scientific papers) it still is like holding chicken wire over your face.  Sure some of the germs and water particles will stick to the wires or cloth fibers but many will pass straight on through just like in the simulated tests.  So yes it helps some but not that much.  It is not the governments job to protect us, it is the responsibility of ourselves.  I am for facemasks only because of the 5 percent chance it might save lives.  But the minute the goverment decides to mandate its usage and to arrest those that want to practice their freedom to not use them, I will also begin to rebel like most level minded people.  The government can only advise, they cannot mandate.  We are still free to decide the precautions we choose to take.  As long as the death toll is so low, we will not be forced by the government to do anything against our will.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 5

Dichosalocura- almost all of what you have said in your post above regarding the death rates and the efficacy of masks is incorrect.  And saying you'll cease to wear a mask if the govt. mandates them makes about as much sense as Obrador saying he'll wear a mask when there is no more corruption. Masks are worn to safeguard public health and keep the infection rate down. They have nothing to do with politics and govt. power.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Mudgirl, my statement on the mortality rate is right in line with the CDC, has it changed since last week?  And my opinion of face masks is in line with most scientific journals, yes it helps but not that much, that is the reason why in the beginning of the pandemic they were reluctant to officially mandate face masks in the very beginning.  Yes Mudgirl, they help some, of course, but not near as much as you want to believe and on top of that they carry their own baggage, average citizens with no expertise and knowledge about how to wear and care for them properly they have the potential to cause more harm than good under certain circumstances.  

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

Mudgirl, take this scenario, you are walking down the malecón in the morning and you happen to pass by a Mexican woman wearing a face mask, she is screaming at her chihuahueño dog Luna, she screams out "Luna vente, vente para acá Luna."  She just expelled like 15,000 water droplets coated in Covid-19 contrary to her not even knowing that she has been infected.  Her mask contained about, perhaps 10,000 droplets on a good day, that is to say that she has taken good care of her mask and not over washed it.  You happen to be walking by at that very moment.  Around 5000 infected water droplets pass straight through the fibers of her mask and fly right into your face as you walk by.  Well, the mask helped somewhat, did it not?  But you still now just breathed in 5,000 covid droplets and now have just been infected by the Coronavirus.  

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

8 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Eric, seriously, if México is too dangerous for you I hear that Greenland now has zero cases (and that isn't a joke,  Iceland is also a grest place btw.) Mexico is a democratic republic similar to the USA and Canada.  It is not a dictatorship or a Nazi state.  The government has no mandate to restrict the freedoms of its citizens to this magnitude to forcibly protect its citizens.  We have freedoms and rights, the government is wrong to make such power grabs when the mortality rate is less than 1 percent and dropping day by day.  Even if face masks help slightly (better than nothing according to most scientific papers) it still is like holding chicken wire over your face.  Sure some of the germs and water particles will stick to the wires or cloth fibers but many will pass straight on through just like in the simulated tests.  So yes it helps some but not that much.  It is not the governments job to protect us, it is the responsibility of ourselves.  I am for facemasks only because of the 5 percent chance it might save lives.  But the minute the goverment decides to mandate its usage and to arrest those that want to practice their freedom to not use them, I will also begin to rebel like most level minded people.  The government can only advise, they cannot mandate.  We are still free to decide the precautions we choose to take.  As long as the death toll is so low, we will not be forced by the government to do anything against our will.

Thank you for posting this so clearly.  People are just too much like compliant sheep and forget that we are in our right to use our own judgment.  When the population caves in to these demands, we end up losing our freedoms.  Government is not a parent.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

masks are to protect others not you and if you can prevent one death it is worth it.. It is easy to look at statistic when  you are not affected but just get it or hae one of your love one affected and let´s see what you say.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

10 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Yeah, don´t wear a seat belt, exceed the speed limits, run through the red lights, and ignore all those other things that the government forces you to do, or in your case doesn´t.

Get real!!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

The thing is where does government rule stop and who decides what is right.  Otherwise, citizens have to do all that they are told, right or wrong and we are just slaves to a system.  History is just not on the side of government using restraint.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

It makes me very sad to continually read these posts.  Everyone on our planet is under a great deal of stress. We, the retired ones are the lucky ones, we don't have to go to work, we don't have to deal with young children at home and wonder about their safety retuning to school this fall. Do you think everyone on this board could show a little love and concern for our fellow man instead of the constant insults, opinions etc.  Come on people, time to grow up and try to comfort those amongst us who have serious health issues and may just be terrified for their lives. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say it. You have no idea who you may be hurting. Wear a mask, it won't kill you. It just might save somebody else's life.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 14

2 hours ago, Zeb said:

The thing is where does government rule stop and who decides what is right.  Otherwise, citizens have to do all that they are told, right or wrong and we are just slaves to a system.  History is just not on the side of government using restraint.

So you wear seatbelts, have insurance on your car, generally observe speed limits, and do not drive under the influence but draw the line at wearing a piece of cloth over the lower part of your face because freedom? 🙄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

It is truly amazing the divergence of feelings and opinions we have , one person thinks a directive is reasonable and sensible and the other looking for reasons to be excluded.

How difficult it must be to have a happy marriage, or select a Minister to please all members of its congregation, or a Political Leader you trust to follow all the trend of your thoughts thoughts.

Where does Comprise figure into our lifestyle if we wish to be more then just "a loner".

How did we mange to work as a team during our employment . Maybe that is the secret and difference of working for a good company and a great company .  A good marriage or a great marriage , having censuses and abiding by that  decision .

Gosh how many times did you pick up your ball and go play in someone else sandbox??? Living in Mexico will drive you crazy if your looking for NOB logic

5 hours ago, bmh said:

masks are to protect others not you and if you can prevent one death it is worth it.. It is easy to look at statistic when  you are not affected but just get it or hae one of your love one affected and let´s see what you say.

Question? I thought the KN95 masks which are much more expensive, and are apparently the type doctors wear, would also protect the wearer from the coronavirus. Am I wrong?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Zeb said:

Edited by moderator to remove personal insult.  Did you not learn from your last suspension?  Your next one will be permanent!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, johanson said:

Question? I thought the KN95 masks which are much more expensive, and are apparently the type doctors wear, would also protect the wearer from the coronavirus. Am I wrong?

I don't know the specific ratings of various types of masks, but from all I have read, wearing a mask is far more effective in preventing the mask wearer from spreading their germs in the form of aerosols than they are at keeping those aerosols from entering the wearer's mask. But they do provide a barrier which is far better than nothing.

Doctors and nurses have long worn masks, having nothing to do with COVID, so as to avoid exposing hospital patients to their germs as much as to protect themselves. And visitors to hospital patients are often asked to put on a mask in order to not expose the patient to whatever they might be infected with.

Gone political.  I deleted the worst of it.

From here on out, no more mask debates.  The state and local governments here have spelled out the rules.  Follow them or take the consequences, if any.  Make it your responsibility to keep your distance from those not wearing or not wearing properly.

Closed.

• Thanks 2