Chapala.com Webboard

Drivers license

Hi,I heard the drivers license office is back open in Chapala.I made an appointment online but,am confused about paying.Can I go to BBVA the bank listed to pay before my appointment and pay or do you go after you present your documents then return?Thanks for any help

I tried to pay on line (from my Bancomer account to gov't bancomer account number listed in directions. ) and I can do a transfer and get receipt , BUT directions say no bank transfers (or ATM). Anybody know for sure how to pay and get proof? I can go up to bank office but isn't it the same?

• 2 weeks later...

Thx.  That helps.  

Is there an English version of test?  A study manual, or sample questions?   

I didn't go too far into the website @Mostlylost provided as it wanted me to pick an appointment date and am not sure I'm quite ready.

If anyone went through this recently at Chapala office, happy to hear your experience, for NEW licenses, not renewals.  I would like to do this without the aid of a paid facilitator (have dealt directly with other government offices here over the years with little problem).  

I took the test a week ago through Luzma Grande. I used her study guide.  I was very happy with the service.

There are 10 questions in English with three choices. At least 4 questions I was assuming at and two I have confirmed I chose the correct answer. A traffic circle is a "Glorieta" (not a Ardor), A bus with people walking in front with a red circle and slash is "no bus stopping".  

A stop sign with an arrow above it did not have "Nearby stop" as I expected, I chose "stop Ahead".  There is a thick straight line with a thin one coming off. I was expecting "Lateral Oblique Junction" but it wasn't a choice so I picked Exit (which should show an arrow). I got only 8/10 and assume these last two may be incorrect? They do not tell you which ones you got wrong. I did hear a Gringa say she only got 5/10 and failed. At least one of the three choices for each question seemed obviously wrong, so you should be down to a 50/50 chance.

There is no driving test with a license from NOB. I was told that applies even if it is expired??  They are very helpful and pleasant at the testing facility.  

Hope this helps.

Mil gracias, @Whipstock  

I did go farther into the Jalisco site;  always worry whether facts/figures are up to date.  Says cost of new license is 696 pesos...sound right to you?  

I also found a link to a 2012 drivers license sampling of q's.   It's quite extensive, but worth my review for signage that we may not often see in Chapala.  https://www.accesslakechapala.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/jaliscolicenseENG.pdf

I am caught between a rock and a hard place. My DL has expired..but so has my passport which one needs for identification. Embassy does not consider DL renewal an emergency so will not issue a temp Passport. Any suggestions??

If you have residente temporal or permanente just present the card and B&W copy of front and back on same page.  And the other requirements  (CURP org & copy, proof of  residence copy & original, proof of payment copy & original) Possibly they will accept that in place of the passport. 

Keep your passport to the side. If asked present it and a copy in B&W of the face page,and keep your fingers crossed. If  there is a problem explain you can't renew because of the  pandemia but  you think it is important that your license is current. 

On 7/20/2020 at 2:36 PM, Whipstock said:

I was told that at 60, it is half price. No INAPAM needed (?); But that did not apply to me, so I can not say. There are no longer any questions. Just 10 signs to ID with three choices each.

Good Luck.

They made me show my INAPAM card to obtain the discount.

Just in case anyone does not know this..... if you have a pick-up (even a small one) you require a CHOFER's license.  More costly, and even tho' my husband had had a Mx license for years, they did require a driving test as well as a written one over again (yes--- well over 60).

Pretty upset with our insurance agent at the time, who had already insured one pick-up (with copies of documents including DL and who only picked up on it at the time of changing over  to a different truck. Apparently if he had been in an accident or caused an injury/death he could have been in VERY serious trouble. Guess you know we don't use that agent any more.........