Chapala.com Webboard

Where to buy sliced rye bread at Lakeside

geeser

Before they closed some months ago, Super Lake was carrying a wonderful loaf of sliced rye bread. Some days just light rye and sometimes a pumpernickel. When the store closed and reopened the bread is no longer available there. Where can I buy a nice sliced rye bread here?

Emma's is in Ajijic on Ramon Corona (aka Marcos Castellanos above Const.), across from Tabarka if that helps.  They are 1/2 a block north of LCS.  Best bagels in town, we've tried them all!   They also have Cinnamon Raisin bagels and cheese bagels which are not listed on their poster.  They sell breads, too, including Challah. 

Here is poster and  link.  I order via Whatsapp and have used both delivery and pickup. 

https://www.facebook.com/pg/EmmasDeliAjijic/posts/?ref=page_internal

emmas.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomgates said:

SuperLake usually has rye bread.

Have you been there recently....I ask as your profile indicates you may have moved to SC.  Since SL reopened they are a shadow of their former self.  Few imports, empty shelf space abounds.  This was on my last visit a few days ago.  

I was not looking for rye bread, but other stock items I purchased there in the past were not there.  

2 hours ago, tomgates said:

SuperLake usually has rye bread.

Yes, they had a wonderful rye bread and often even a pumpernickel. That disappeared when they closed then re-opened. I never knew the brand or where it was baked but would to know. That is the bread I'd like to find again. I ordered from Emma's for delivery today. 

The rye bread that Pancho had for SuperLake came from NY. He had to order a lot of it and kept it in Guadalajara in a commercial freezer. It carried over to his Uncle when he took over SL from Pancho.That all sold out.  Recently he had some rye and other bread from a commercial bakery in the US. 

3 hours ago, tomgates said:

The rye bread that Pancho had for SuperLake came from NY. He had to order a lot of it and kept it in Guadalajara in a commercial freezer. It carried over to his Uncle when he took over SL from Pancho.That all sold out.  Recently he had some rye and other bread from a commercial bakery in the US. 

Leopoldo Paz has always owned Superlake , before and after,  Pancho his nephew, worked there.

Pancho was far more than a worker there... It was obvious who was responsible for the day-to-day operation of superlake .  The store was clean efficient and well stocked, the staff was attentive ..Pancho was also extremely helpful in obtaining hard to find ingredients. As a Chef superlake was a contributing factor in our decision to move here . Since Pancho left the store it has gradually fallen apart...empty shelves  untrained staff and little or no management.  Exactly the opposite of what has occurred at Panchos new store .

• Like 4

Pancho was never more than an employee as he never owned any part of the business. He may have done his job well but all final decisions were made by Leopoldo, who was there most of the time in the office upstairs,  whereas Pancho was much more visible in the public area of the store. You could find Leopoldo, his brother Gilberto from the licorería, and Pancho discussing what was going on and the days happenings in the front of Superlake around closing time.

Superlake was quite well stocked until the pandemic, and Polo just kind of gave up. Pancho has been gone a year or so and still his new store doesn´t even come close to carrying the products that Superlake did right up to the lockdown time.

I find Pancho´s store woefully understocked compared to what Superlake was. Just the Asian products alone are a huge difference between the two stores.

On 7/7/2020 at 10:06 PM, slainte39 said:

Pancho was never more than an employee as he never owned any part of the business. He may have done his job well but all final decisions were made by Leopoldo, who was there most of the time in the office upstairs,  whereas Pancho was much more visible in the public area of the store. You could find Leopoldo, his brother Gilberto from the licorería, and Pancho discussing what was going on and the days happenings in the front of Superlake around closing time.

Superlake was quite well stocked until the pandemic, and Polo just kind of gave up. Pancho has been gone a year or so and still his new store doesn´t even come close to carrying the products that Superlake did right up to the lockdown time.

I find Pancho´s store woefully understocked compared to what Superlake was. Just the Asian products alone are a huge difference between the two stores.

Pancho's new store is understocked compared to Superlake but he has some things that Superlake lacked. Fresher bakery selection, some very nice displays of deli products, and numerous  cooked meals and premade sandwiches there that are to go. He has a better alcohol selection. A lot of the specialty, imported things at Superlake were very overpriced and I would virtually never buy them.  

4 hours ago, cedros said:

Pancho's new store is understocked compared to Superlake but he has some things that Superlake lacked. Fresher bakery selection, some very nice displays of deli products, and numerous  cooked meals and premade sandwiches there that are to go. He has a better alcohol selection. A lot of the specialty, imported things at Superlake were very overpriced and I would virtually never buy them.  

Better alcohol selection than Paz Licuors? I think not and likely never will come even close.

2 hours ago, Upfront said:

of course you would dispute. the simple fact is SUPERLAKE does not have as good a selection as pancho. and no they ain't one entity is they

The grocery division of the Paz family retail "empire" is called Superlake and carries zero liquor because that would be stupid to compete with there other division Paz Licuors. They operate side by each. So, yes they are one entity and that's a simple fact based on reality.

It really matters  not how the family operates the 2 businesses because together they are synergistic. In light of that, Pancho has a snowball's chance in haitch of ever selling more liquor than a member of the Paz family complex, who operate side by each. He does sell more fresh bread though and his round sourdough is close enough to a light rye to use for making a corned beef sandwich, getting back to the OP who asked about rye bread of which the real European style has never been available at Superlake or anywhere else here. I have had real rye bread all my life in Czech Republic and Canada. There is a German bakery in Gaudalajara that bakes it.