Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for Doberman puppies

It's apparent that none of you have had any experience with small game working dogs. Yes the Doberman thing is no longer necessary and any other breed that most of you perceive as pets only. I was a bird and rabbit hunter,trained them myself and they were family companions too. Pointers  tails are docked but left long enough[the tail done this way gives you the direction to let you know where the game is so that you can flush it] they stay where they started the point and then retrieve the game for you. I have had 2  shorthair pointers and 4 Springer spaniels who are flushers. They go nuts when they pick up a scent and no thicket or brambles can stop them and then they flush and retrieve if you were successful. Springer's tails are docked to avoid all sorts of nasties getting stuck to it. I also have their dew claws removed so that they don't get torn off. I gave them a medium haircut about a month before the season so their ears and body would be less likely to be affected and then grow enough  so they don't get too cold retrieving waterfowl. Here's Monty Montana the 2nd and last under the stove after a day of hunting

monty  under stove2.jpg

I trained all my dad's Springer Spaniels when I was a teenager.  They were the best hunters and pets.  I always trimmed their feet and feathers also.  When the pups were young and on their first real hunt, whatever they smelled first when they got out of the car, was what they thought we were hunting, eg-mice.  But as soon as we got a bird, and let them smell it, they were never interested in anything else.  They were very smart but some could be bone heads (stubborn).

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Yo1 said:

I trained all my dad's Springer Spaniels when I was a teenager.  They were the best hunters and pets.  I always trimmed their feet and feathers also.  When the pups were young and on their first real hunt, whatever they smelled first when they got out of the car, was what they thought we were hunting, eg-mice.  But as soon as we got a bird, and let them smell it, they were never interested in anything else.  They were very smart but some could be bone heads (stubborn).

Here's my first springer Tobin and her first retrieve at 3 months which she carried about a 1/2 mile back to the car without dropping it.

tobins first retrieve a.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/5/2020 at 7:47 AM, El Cartero said:

Dobermans here don’t seem to enjoy the popularity they do in the States.  American preferred is somewhat ambiguous.    If your referring to style they, the Doberman, are pretty much the same all over north and south America.

You can go to the FCM website (Mexican Kennel Club) and click on eventos.  To my knowledge most of the shows have been cancelled.   But a dog show is the best place to go to see what’s available in terms of a breeder.

I would be very surprised if a reputable breeder would sell you both a male and a female as the implication that you want to breed them is something a good breeder would avoid.

On 7/5/2020 at 12:02 PM, daisy2013 said:

That is what I thought of also but did not want to say it

On 7/5/2020 at 10:59 PM, mudgirl said:

Yes. It's a bizarre and vile concept to cut pieces off of humans or animals because of some "tradition", the reasons for which may have been thought warranted at some time in history but have no validity today. 

Incredible, people who are unable to read and comprehend a question and reply to the question without answering a thing.  Absolutely amazing. 

Bizarre and vile no doubt to  cut human or animal parts as goodness forbid many times there are health reasons.  Severe ear infections from bacteria and fungi in Dobermans with floppy ears.  Men, of elderly persuasion in facilities and being taken care of and just a small mindless error of not retracting foreskin to original position and Bam, death, or surgery at a ripe old age. 

The validity of many things remains today if people listen to health/medical  reasons in many cases. 

In reality I care less that is what I am looking for so or was so very unhelpful responses. 

There are might I add the American Doberman and the European Doberman, both with different characteristics, thus they are not the same all over North America.   Dobermans are not as popular here in these parts of Mexico due to cost one and demand in upper class society due to being guard dogs and pit bulls seem to be a preferred dog here but at a more reasonable price.  Dobermans are highly intelligent thinkers, so very smart and many times require a different scope of action than say a Shepherd also incredibly smart dogs but practical as herders, guard or even hunting.  

Reputable breeder will many times sell you a male and female if you are willing to sign a waiver of breeding or such.  Ridiculous statement to say a breeder will not sell a male and female dog to an owner.  Has nothing to do with reputation just money.  Very simple round about as well so have a friend buy the other dog for you, serious.

I am more than happy to have a less popular breed dog, just as have found likely not usually very helpful to get answers here.  Yikes.  Cannot wait to see responses on my next two questions.