Chapala.com Webboard

Want information on colonoscopy.

Privately? Daniel Briseno of Quality Care, charges about 900$ U.S. for a private hospital in Guadalajara, about 1,100$ U.S. at Chapala Hospital San Antonio. I like the guy, he is very informed and good bedside manner (I suspect), kind of quirky, sort of like you. I think you would like him, even if he doesn't by you dinner before the medical procedure! My own digestive problems were caused by highly processed foods, including white bread flour and corn masa cornflour. He is a good doctor, he went back for his full 4 year training in CDMX, when most Drs. choose two years for their specialties.

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

That sounds really high,. You can have it done here at the Ajijic Clinic for a lot less

Where and by whom? Contact information?

For the prices noted above, I could go to California and return for less. The procedure would cost me nothing (Medicare) at the facility that is rated in the top 20 of U.S. News 2019-2020 survey of 5,000 U.S. hospitals.

4 hours ago, oregontochapala said:

Cost should be the least consideration.  A well qualified Dr. and a well equipped facility would be what I would look for.

And, not to be overly personal, but they are generally not recommended  for people over age 75 because the risks are too great.

Sometimes costs must be taken into consideration. Most of the time, you can't get into an upper level hospital unless you can show you have guaranteed money to pay. If your bill goes higher than what you have, and no co-signor, you might kiss your house bye-bye.

I will research that age issue since I'm 81. I recall reading that at an advanced age, there can be problem with anesthesia.

Thanks all.

I met with Dr. Briseno in February; felt very good about his competence, and he's a nice guy.  

We discussed a routine colonoscopy versus Cologuard, aka the Poop In The Box test.  Dr. Breseno is a big fan of Cologuard and laments that it is not available in Mexico. Of course he agrees that a colonoscopy is the Gold Standard for colon cancer detection. 

Because I know someone whose routine colonoscopy went horribly wrong in the US, I was not anxious to get one, in any country.  I would have  had a colonoscopy if I had worrisome symptoms or was in a high-risk category.  But neither applied to me.  

Dr. Briseno and I agreed that if I took a Cologuard and it was negative, he would not recommend a colonoscopy for me based on my lack of symptoms.  Cologuard checks for blood as well as for DNA cancer cells in the sample.

Since we were going to US later that month, I ordered a Cologuard and had it shipped to a friend.  Cologuard submitted the claim directly with Medicare so there was no paperwork on my part, and no co-pay as Medicare pays for the total amount (you do not need to medigap plan for any portion of it).  I had done a Cologuard several years ago which was negative, as was the one I had done this past February.  

FYI, there is another test called Fit which can be shipped here, per my contact with the company (though I did not order).  Fit looks for fecal blood only;   Fit is very inexpensive.  It is an at-home test with instant results.

Here is Mayo Clinic's review of Cologuard.  https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/stool-dna-test/about/pac-20385153

Canadian friends of ours said that their doctors in Canada use Fit as the first test for routine colon screenings; if it shows blood, then you get a colonoscopy.  Here is info on Fit and its use in Ontario, https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/colon-cancer-fit-test-thunder-bay-1.5189637

Not debating that these tests are equal to a colonoscopy, but there are many folks (me!) that are reluctant to have a colonoscopy and these other tests may be an option.  Of course if you test positive on either Cologuard or Fit, you would need to have a colonoscopy.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Eric Blair said:

I will research that age issue since I'm 81. I recall reading that at an advanced age, there can be problem with anesthesia.

Thanks all.

They don't use anesthesia; they use sedation.  Kind of like twilight sleep.  Not nearly as dangerous.  That's what I have the vet use for teeth cleaning for my old dogs.

I had a colonoscopy after a PET scan when I was 75. I would only have it done in a hospital or a specialized clinic near a hospital like I did, in case something goes awry,like perforation. I used to run with scissors until I came to the realization that I am not invincible. Colonoscopy price here is cheap compared to my PET scan which cost me $23,000 pesos.

pedro kertesz

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Dr. Breseno is a big fan of Cologuard and laments that it is not available in Mexico.

While I have no idea what might be unique to Cologuard, I have had two fecal occult tests done in the past four years here.

24 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

While I have no idea what might be unique to Cologuard, I have had two fecal occult tests done in the past four years here.

Cologuard checks for DNA of cancer cells and polyp cells, as well as for fecal occult blood.

Fecal occult tests search only for blood, often indicative of cancer.  

Cologuard tests are done every 3 years.  Fecal occult tests should be repeated annually.  Both these recommendations per the Mayo Clinic.

Good discussion here at the American Cancer Society.  https://www.cancer.org/cancer/colon-rectal-cancer/detection-diagnosis-staging/screening-tests-used.html

2 hours ago, #HarryB said:

I could go to Thailand and

In Thailand, you can swallow a pill camera that works its way through you, then you review the recording with the Dr. afterwards.   

Pretty neat (as these things go.....)    apart from recovering the camera, that is.....

• Like 1

Hey virgo lady, I am just curious. How long does it take for the "pill camera" to make it through the body. Do you remember? Or do you know?  Thanks in advance for your answer.

I have always wondered, when I eat something, how long it takes for the waste to work its way through me.

3 hours ago, johanson said:

Hey virgo lady, I am just curious. How long does it take for the "pill camera" to make it through the body. Do you remember? Or do you know?  Thanks in advance for your answer.

I have always wondered, when I eat something, how long it takes for the waste to work its way through me.

Eat a bunch of corn and watch for how long it takes to pass.  For me it's around 18 hours.