Chapala.com Webboard

Spraying for mosquitoes

bmh

Did I miss an announcement or there was no announcement made? We were having dinner with all the windows opened when I heard a weird noise.. I listen a few second and realized they were spraying malathion or something that smells like it..  I rushed to close all the windows.. By the time I got to the back of the house it already had gotten inside..

Makes you feel like some cucaracha, how obnoxious.. They announced that we should stay home at night but they do not warn people when they are spraying insecticide.? 

Now I know how the indgenous are feelling n Chiapas when the spray trucks are coming around.. Too bad we  are not like them and beat up the president for allowing that to happen.. So what happens if you are on the street walking?? You are forced to walk through an insecticide cloud? 

Yeah, the same thing happened to us last night in downtown Chapala.  Before I realized what was going on, it had already gotten all inside the house. That is the first time we have experienced that in the 10 years we have been down here.  It almost sounded like an extremely low flying airplane.  Next time we hear that sound we will immediately go around and close all the windows.

My neighbor used to live in another part of town and told me when the spray truck woud come around, they had a loudspeaker that said to open all your doors and windows so the spray could get in. She'd be standing on the street talking with her Mexican neighbors and she'd run to close all her windows. They laughed at her, thought she was crazy. So much ignorance. Once she said she saw them spray all over a woman who was pushing her baby in a stroller.

Find out what they are spraying. Here in Sayulita, they use a Permithrin-based product. It's fatal to fish, crustaceans and some birds. All my friend's fish dies right after they sprayed, as well as another friend's bird.

Poisoning everyone when you can prevent dengue by using insect repellent, making sure there's no standing water around for them to breed in, and using a mosquito net.

1.  You live in Mexico. Citizens are not molly coddled.

2.   Dengue has been at epidemic levels for a couple of years.

3.  Locals cannot afford bug spray.

• Sad 1

So?? Are we supposed to agree it is good to be spryed like cucarachs.. They shoulve a warning system so people could get out of the way... As I said the locals in Chiaps do not take kindly to being sprayed like insects and many president pay for it.. Last week in Amatenango , they was a tumor that the plane that flew overhead at night wwwhad been spraying and people started to gather to get the president and lynch him. People are fed up about the lack of respect they show to people.. Lynchng is on the extreme side but there is no reason they cannot annunce they are coming with a loud speaker or a horn. 

Yes there is a lot of dengue and they should spray but they should have a warning sustem or fixed days or hours.

This , you live in Mexico is  bull.. tomgates.. People  in Mexico are not like those of Lakeside who play dead on just about anything, There plenty of communities on the country where the garbage truck announce they come with a bell and where people are warned about spraying. I have lived here for 20 years and in Chiapas for 15 so give me a break , I know a fe things about Mexico.

• Like 1

That is nice to hear that they announced it in the center.. but nothng on our street,  was cooking so I would have heard it.. nothing  where we were..They came back twoor three times but with the rain that followed , it probably had ero effect.. My fish did not die so it probably did not go very far, ..

17 hours ago, bmh said:

That is nice to hear that they announced it in the center.. but nothng on our street,  was cooking so I would have heard it.. nothing  where we were..They came back twoor three times but with the rain that followed , it probably had ero effect.. My fish did not die so it probably did not go very far, ..

glad your fish are ok... just sent you a pm on that topic.  

On 7/1/2020 at 3:23 PM, bmh said:

My fish did not die so it probably did not go very far, ..

It's the Permithrin family of insecticides that are fatal to fish and crustacean and some birds. I have no idea exactly what they are spraying in your area, but it should be possible to find out.