Chapala.com Webboard

ILOX open?

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

Actually it is widely known all over the dark web,  that Carlos Slim has hired North Korean hackers at a cost of a Billion Dollars to bring down ILOX and Wiz in the Chapala area for a couple of days. 

Wow. A billion dollars to shut them down for a couple of days? A billion dollars doesn’t do what it used to. 

• Haha 1

Not a billion dollars or a billion pesos. That would be too much. I know what they meant. One billion centavos which would be $10 million pesos  or about $450,000 US dollars at 22.222+ pesos per US dollar.

I just know that Carlos Slim is coming through for me and I am getting 19.9 down by 5.1 up regularly for either $389 or $425 pesos per month, I can't remember what I pay because it is so little and I'm in Seattle. Oh, and I can phone some 50 to 65 countries long distance for free on his Telmex phone line.

iLox service in Ajijic (and Lakeside areas) has been compromised by a hack as we have been informed by two technicians with iLox.  We have had our service down for a few days so far which has been very unfortunate following the large outage on Monday.   Ironically, our iLox service has been very stable in Rancho del Oro for quite some time with no real issues.  Had noticed after an outage about a month ago of a few hours (the second outage we had experienced since we started the service in June last year) that speeds declined a bit and never were quite as good.  Were told they were adding some additional main fiber lines to expand bandwidth capacity in the lakeside area and that it may have been affecting their peering (ISP routing) for various services which would control some of that bandwidth loss.  In any case, it has started to sound like tons of excuses being made for their inability to respond to their infrastructure's needs.  As many have mentioned, having a backup to this service is prudent and we have been using our mobile phone (on Telcel network) as mobile hotspot but that can also be pricey and certainly not as high of quality.  Am now going forward with Telmex and seeing what their fiber option is like...this is for backup, but may indeed become primary service and dump iLox if this isn't resolved.  Here are their offerings: https://telmex.com/web/hogar/contratacion-fibra-optica - a bit more expensive and likely no guarantees of these speeds or synchoronous (same speed up and down) service which most fiber ISPs do tend to offer.  It is ashamed that iLox has allowed this to occur (sabotage not withstanding) as this market is truly theirs to lose to the larger players and with all the significant effort that it took to get them to Lakeside.  We work remotely everyday and rely heavily on video conferencing and have to upload large video files often.  We do stream from providers in the evenings too...so really a typical customer.  I want to give iLox the benefit of the doubt (many doubts now) to make things right, but competition is a cruel mistress and it may be coming for them.

58 minutes ago, Dubhead said:

iLox service in Ajijic (and Lakeside areas) has been compromised by a hack as we have been informed by two technicians with iLox.  We have had our service down for a few days so far which has been very unfortunate following the large outage on Monday.   Ironically, our iLox service has been very stable in Rancho del Oro for quite some time with no real issues.  Had noticed after an outage about a month ago of a few hours (the second outage we had experienced since we started the service in June last year) that speeds declined a bit and never were quite as good.  Were told they were adding some additional main fiber lines to expand bandwidth capacity in the lakeside area and that it may have been affecting their peering (ISP routing) for various services which would control some of that bandwidth loss.  In any case, it has started to sound like tons of excuses being made for their inability to respond to their infrastructure's needs.  As many have mentioned, having a backup to this service is prudent and we have been using our mobile phone (on Telcel network) as mobile hotspot but that can also be pricey and certainly not as high of quality.  Am now going forward with Telmex and seeing what their fiber option is like...this is for backup, but may indeed become primary service and dump iLox if this isn't resolved.  Here are their offerings: https://telmex.com/web/hogar/contratacion-fibra-optica - a bit more expensive and likely no guarantees of these speeds or synchoronous (same speed up and down) service which most fiber ISPs do tend to offer.  It is ashamed that iLox has allowed this to occur (sabotage not withstanding) as this market is truly theirs to lose to the larger players and with all the significant effort that it took to get them to Lakeside.  We work remotely everyday and rely heavily on video conferencing and have to upload large video files often.  We do stream from providers in the evenings too...so really a typical customer.  I want to give iLox the benefit of the doubt (many doubts now) to make things right, but competition is a cruel mistress and it may be coming for them.

Who hack...and for what purpose???

After the glitch last week, and three calls to techs my service has been back to normal as of Saturday, hopefully my problem is solved, I own a Telcel modem and used it before I got Ilox, I am paid up till November, but if the problem continues I will reactivate Telcel modem and drop Ilox..

I called ILOX support and got an English speaker and he kept the  line open for over 20 minutes but did nothing then a survey about the call came on. I hung up then got a young lady that didn't speak English but she confirmed my phone and contract numbers and said, as far as I could tell,  that someone would call me.

I held my breath as long as I could but no call yet.

So far (today) all is good here now in SAT (fingers crossed). I have always called 376-109-0000 x2 for tech service. Much waiting music...sometimes reach someone that actually helps...sometimes dissconect (hang-up?). I see someone posted these 2 numbers, (353) 532 7514,  (353) 128 1008. Any advise on the best contact # for tech support? Gracias.

After three days of emails to Tech Support, they finally "made some adjustments" and I am back on line.  This is the first time in just over a year with them, that an outage of this length has occurred.  I'm hoping it is not an indication of the future!

4 minutes ago, bournemouth said:

After three days of emails to Tech Support, they finally "made some adjustments" and I am back on line.  This is the first time in just over a year with them, that an outage of this length has occurred.  I'm hoping it is not an indication of the future!

But my download speed has dropped from around 65 to 9.74 while the upload is around 16.70.  I've asked when things will return to normal but realize that is a futile question.

• 2 weeks later...