Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican pension program

In yesterday's GDL Reporter, there is an article about ''Pensioners to get upfront payment"" in MX.  I have looked at the bienstar(wellness) gob.mx website and have a basic idea of what this program is all about.  It is for older Mexicans.   Does anyone have experience with signing up for this program and receiving benefits?   I believe you would need to be Mexican or a nationalized Mexican, but it may be for those who have INAPAM cards. Not sure.    TIA

And for those of us from elsewhere who have become citizens, it would be totally shameful and greedy to try to  exploit this benefit intended for   "born here" Mexicans who are in much more need than we are, regardless of each foreign-born person's financial resources.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ibarra said:

I believe I stated that in my post.   Isn't this site open to foreigners and Mexican's?   My original questions are still valid.

To amplify my previous response:

It is for poor Mexican citizens. You need an INE to register, so that rules out non citizens or foreigners.

If you live in an indigenous community at 65 you can apply. everywhere else at 68 you can apply.

You must pass an eligibility interview. For example; If you have a Seguridad Social pension you are not eligible.

Please do not presume why I am asking for information regarding this program.  

It is stated on  bienestar.gob.mx what credentials are needed.  The site says nothing about "poor" Mexicans, nor, does it give an income level required for a valid application.  I am still waiting for someone to respond to my actual questions that have experience with this program. 

Mostlylost, how do you know about the "eligibility interview"?  How do you know about ''Seguridad Social pension''?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Natasha said:

And for those of us from elsewhere who have become citizens, it would be totally shameful and greedy to try to  exploit this benefit intended for   "born here" Mexicans who are in much more need than we are, regardless of each foreign-born person's financial resources.

For most foreigners to become a citizen you need to have lived in Mexico with a residente card. To get that residente you needed a certain income or cash in bank to qualify. That income or equity would rule you out of receiving benefits under this program.

45 minutes ago, ibarra said:

Please do not presume why I am asking for information regarding this program.  

It is stated on  bienestar.gob.mx what credentials are needed.  The site says nothing about "poor" Mexicans, nor, does it give an income level required for a valid application.  I am still waiting for someone to respond to my actual questions that have experience with this program. 

Mostlylost, how do you know about the "eligibility interview"?  How do you know about ''Seguridad Social pension''?

Read carefully  the  credential required is an INE   The interview even includes a home visit. 

I have retired relatives who receive Seguro Social pensions . My nieces & nephews & my son' s employers pay into the Seguro Social program. 

For the Well-being of the Elderly, they will be destined, in the federal entities, in the terms
of the applicable provisions, exclusively to the population in conditions of poverty, vulnerability,
older adults, lagging and marginalization,
according to the criteria defined by the National Council of
Population 

Edited by Mostlylost
Added information regarding poor
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

For most foreigners to become a citizen you need to have lived in Mexico with a residente card. To get that residente you needed a certain income or cash in bank to qualify. That income or equity would rule you out of receiving benefits under this program.

Residente Temporal and Residente Permanente are visas, each with an income requirement, and are administered by the INM (Instituto Nacional de Migración).

Mexican citizenship has no income requirement and is administered by the SRE (Secretaria de Relaciones Exteriores).  

• Like 3

For what it is worth: wife tells me her father gets a monthly SS Pension and then every 2 months he gets more than 2600p extra. Don't have any details.

3 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

It is for poor Mexican citizens. You need an INE to register, so that rules out non citizens or foreigners.

You must pass an eligibility interview. For example; If you have a Seguridad Social pension you are not eligible.

I thought foreigners who became citizens got an INE, no? But father-in-law gets both ! Hummm!

On 6/27/2020 at 9:10 AM, Mostlylost said:

If you live in an indigenous community at 65 you can apply. everywhere else at 68 you can apply.

https://www.gob.mx/pensionpersonasadultasmayores

Google Translation:

"With this pension we want to assure our older adults an income that recognizes all their effort and commitment in building this country

In Mexico, older adults face low-income conditions and lack of access to social protection and health systems, which affects their living conditions.

The objective is to contribute to the well-being of older adults through the provision of a non-contributory pension that helps improve living conditions and in turn allows access to social protection.

It consists of the delivery of a bi-monthly financial support

The program serves all adults over 68 years of age throughout the country, and adults over 65 years of age who live in municipalities comprising indigenous peoples. The pension for the Welfare of the Elderly consists of a financial support of $ 2,550 pesos every two months."

It is for all citizens regardless of their financial situation. There was a big stink when AMLO changed the age for all recipients from 65 to 68 and contiues to give it to indigenous at 65. Predjuice was the claimed problem. There was talk of doubling it before the election anyway from $1124.00 to $2,248.00 every 2 months. After 70 or 75 - I forget - you have to go into the SEDESOL office to show them you are still living every year.

3 hours ago, Natasha said:

Regardless of each foreign-born person's financial resources? You may not be aware, but there actually are people in that category who are just as poor as Mexicans. I don't fall into that category, but I know people who do. There would be nothing shameful or greedy about them applying for this benefit. Don't judge other people's circumstances by your own personal experience where you happen to live and with the people you happen to know.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Regardless of each foreign-born person's financial resources? You may not be aware, but there actually are people in that category who are just as poor as Mexicans. I don't fall into that category, but I know people who do. There would be nothing shameful or greedy about them applying for this benefit. Don't judge other people's circumstances by your own personal experience where you happen to live and with the people you happen to know.

Don't think there are very many foreigners that have become citizens here with incomes anywhere the level required for this program. My wifes mother's Mexican pension is $12000 per month and she did not qualify.

Yogi, where are you when we need you?..."Nobody here knows nuthin"

Yogi Berra, maybe the best baseball catcher ever... 19 years with the NY Yankees with 18 MVP awards and 10 World Series Championsinp rings, but more known today for his sage advise and hilarious wisdom. Examples: 

“A nickel ain’t worth a dime anymore.”

“You can observe a lot by watching.”

“It ain’t over ’til it’s over.”

"Half the lies they tell about me aren't true."

"You wouldn't have won if we'd beaten you."

"I never said most of the things I said."

"Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical."

"It ain't the heat, it's the humility."

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

"You should always go to other people's funerals, otherwise, they won't come to yours."

"Little League baseball is a very good thing because it keeps the parents off the streets."

"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did."

"The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase."

"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question."

"Slump? I ain't in no slump... I just ain't hitting."

"Even Napoleon had his Watergate."

"If the world was perfect, it wouldn't be."

"He hits from both sides of the plate. He's amphibious."

“The future ain’t what it used to be."

“When you come to a fork in the road, take it.”

RIP Yogi.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

Don't think there are very many foreigners that have become citizens here with incomes anywhere the level required for this program. My wifes mother's Mexican pension is $12000 per month and she did not qualify.

That's exactly what I meant about not making assumptions. You seem to think that 12,000 pesos/month is some amount that indicates a poverty level that no foreigner would be able to live on. I live on far less than that and so do lots of people I know.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2