Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Recommended Posts

Do you really think the majority of Mexicans are taking the virus seriously.. from my experience, there are a significant number of MX who are disregarding the mask thing and distance apart , I would suggest the reason for MX having low numbers is the low testing and "fudging" actual reason for death. As for practicing social distancing on the Malecon at the week end will be a joke 
Why MX does not halt the potential "carriers" arriving from the high risk states in the USA is beyond me

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Witness Arizona, Texas, and Florida.  In particular pay attention to Houston whose ICU beds are at 100% capacity. Those are facts, not speculation. Once restrictions are relaxed or ignored,

There isn't conflicting information about whether wearing a mask in public and social distancing reduces viral transmission of COVID. It is a scientific and public health issue, not a political one, o

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Do you really think the majority of Mexicans are taking the virus seriously.. from my experience, there are a significant number of MX who are disregarding the mask thing and distance apart , I would suggest the reason for MX having low numbers is the low testing and "fudging" actual reason for death. As for practicing social distancing on the Malecon at the week end will be a joke 
Why MX does not halt the potential "carriers" arriving from the high risk states in the USA is beyond me

The EU is considering a ban of US citizens from entering so I can see MX wanting to do the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mexico has a whole has done a terible job at protecting its people and taking the epidemy seriously. I lost another friend yesterday in Oaxaca.. The situation is awful in Southern Mexico.. between the dengue,. the covid and other zika and chickungunia many people are sick,do not see the doctors  or go to the hospitals so they do not get reported. The situation is really scary and no one seem to really care... The country is reopening just when the situation is going worse and there seem no real effort from the government toenforce mask wearing and social distancing.. Lets all forget itexist and burry our head in the sand and think it will go away.. Good luck to all of us..

I am not fear mongering , I am just seeing and reporting what I see.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bmh said:

Mexico has a whole has done a terible job at protecting its people and taking the epidemy seriously. I lost another friend yesterday in Oaxaca.. The situation is awful in Southern Mexico.. between the dengue,. the covid and other zika and chickungunia many people are sick,do not see the doctors  or go to the hospitals so they do not get reported. The situation is really scary and no one seem to really care... The country is reopening just when the situation is going worse and there seem no real effort from the government toenforce mask wearing and social distancing.. Lets all forget itexist and burry our head in the sand and think it will go away.. Good luck to all of us..

I am not fear mongering , I am just seeing and reporting what I see.

Sorry for your loss bmh.  You certainly have had a rough go with this.  My heart goes out to you.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mx should close it boarders to flights from the US.  What is the point of closing land boarders  and letting flights in?  And why are we now letting Guad. Residence in when the numbers are on the rise.  Seems backwards to me

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kyle said:

Mx should close it boarders to flights from the US.  What is the point of closing land boarders  and letting flights in?  And why are we now letting Guad. Residence in when the numbers are on the rise.  Seems backwards to me

Totally agree. I know Canada is concerned about letting the Americans in. That is one of the main reasons that Canada is still enforcing a mandatory 14 day quarantine!  I also don't like the fact that many American expats here are travelling up to the states and then returning here with no self isolating. Really selfish and putting us all at risk.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Mx should close it boarders to flights from the US.  What is the point of closing land boarders  and letting flights in?  And why are we now letting Guad. Residence in when the numbers are on the rise.  Seems backwards to me

Kyle, in reference to your quote about letting in GDL people, we absolutely had to go to GDL Monday.  While there, everyone, and I mean everyone, that we saw had on masks. They weren't even taking them off when they left a business and, they were driving with them on.   That is contrary to driving around lakeside. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Guiness said:

Totally agree. I know Canada is concerned about letting the Americans in. That is one of the main reasons that Canada is still enforcing a mandatory 14 day quarantine!  I also don't like the fact that many American expats here are travelling up to the states and then returning here with no self isolating. Really selfish and putting us all at risk.

Or maybe many are traveling because they don't have a choice. We're returning north for an emergency medical situation that can't be addressed here (long story, but NOT Covid-19 related). I'll be sure to tell hubby that it's really selfish of him not to time his emergency better. You're right; how rude! Or maybe it's a case of you take care of YOU and let others take care of (ie, make decisions for) themselves.

 

"The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street."

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tingting said:

Or maybe many are traveling because they don't have a choice. We're returning north for an emergency medical situation that can't be addressed here (long story, but NOT Covid-19 related). I'll be sure to tell hubby that it's really selfish of him not to time his emergency better. You're right; how rude! Or maybe it's a case of you take care of YOU and let others take care of (ie, make decisions for) themselves.

 

"The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street."

I agree but monsters, Maple Street?  That’s above my pay grade.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tingting said:

Or maybe many are traveling because they don't have a choice. We're returning north for an emergency medical situation that can't be addressed here (long story, but NOT Covid-19 related). I'll be sure to tell hubby that it's really selfish of him not to time his emergency better. You're right; how rude! Or maybe it's a case of you take care of YOU and let others take care of (ie, make decisions for) themselves.

 

"The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street."

The point I was making is not that you are heading north, it's about you self isolating when you return....

Re read my post,

Link to post
Share on other sites

I read your post and...gasp!...even comprehended it. OK, joking-ish aside, do you really think the virus is going to respect a border? The self-isolation is great for the person that's at risk, but there are many that just can't put their lives on hold. We're fortunate that we're retired and don't have to worry about the next paycheck. That's great for us, but...people have to eat. Jobs have to be done. Life is going to continue, regardless of what is out there.  Medical emergencies, or other emergencies, are going to happen. When we return, we still have to eat, see a local doc, etc, etc. No matter how hard one tries, contact can be limited, but not eliminated and the virus is going to go through "the herd," no matter how much we might wish otherwise. 

El Menudo: the reference is to a Twilight Zone episode that this situation sure is mirroring (apologies if you knew and I just misunderstood your comment). 

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Plazas still closed? 

Chapala's newly renovated plaza and mercado are both open like old with less than 50% of the populace covered.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jocotepec announces:

From this Friday the 26th, the municipal public spaces that remained closed due to the pandemic, such as squares, piers and sports areas will be open to the public again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2020 at 12:26 PM, Eric Blair said:

One thing that many either haven't read or choose to ignore, is the fact that even if you get the virus and don't die, there is still damage done to your body. possibly long-term.

So if you get the virus and survive, you may have immunity for several weeks and then you can get it again.

How many times do you think/believe you can get the virus and survive? Of course, some people either think they will live "forever," and others simply want to enjoy the day and not worry about tomorrow.

To each their own.

 

You are right.  Staying at home most of the day, I am constantly reading international news online.  Real news, not fake conspiracy theories.  I can't supply links because I read up to 100 items every day.  I read one written by a medical professional that some people who do survive CV do come out with lasting and very serious side effects such as lung and heart damage and inability to wake up after the required medical sedation when you are on a ventilator, which is very traumatic to the body.  Other medical professionals have detailed how horrible some of these cases are even if the people live.  People in ICUs with CV often die alone, the bodies pile up, the morgues fill up, and mass graves have to be dug and used.  Many never see their loved ones again once they enter the ICU.  This could happen anywhere the CV rates surge.

CV is NOT the flu, it is much more deadly, all propaganda firmly set aside.  There are more young people catching it now because they are the ones going out and socializing without protection the most.  It's like unsafe sex, you really take your chances.  They might not die as fast but they also may come out with lasting problems.  One strong factor in young people getting CV is obesity.  There are also cases of children getting it with lasting problems, and a set of triplets was just born with all of them testing positive for CV.  They were tested before they even had a chance to nurse, so they did not get it from mother's milk. 

About the crowded hospitals, I read first hand accounts from Italy, including videos, written/made by local Italians who were fluent in English.  I paid attention because I had been contemplating a trip to Italy and was very alarmed how fast it got so bad there.  One woman detailed everything she saw and experienced with her own family members and neighbors, which was ghastly.  One man walked through a hospital waiting room taking live videos showing the area so crowded that incoming patients were actually lying on the floor with nothing, waiting to be seen.  Both said the bottom line is that it is much worse than you think.

Take very good care, stay healthy!

Edited by moderator to remove politics.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Your getting in to politics. About 6 weeks ago I asked the owner of the TOB to delete my registration because he let politics infiltrate his entire board and not just the "political" section and in essence turn the whole thing in to a fish bowl debate. So please take your Canada versus the US stuff to TOB. (and just to let you know I am Swiss but have lived 11 years in Ontario, Canada). 😑

  • Like 2
  • Sad 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

Your getting in to politics. About 6 weeks ago I asked the owner of the TOB to delete my registration because he let politics infiltrate his entire board and not just the "political" section and in essence turn the whole thing in to a fish bowl debate. So please take your Canada versus the US stuff to TOB. (and just to let you know I am Swiss but have lived 11 years in Ontario, Canada). 😑

Second that motion

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sharing this perspective as it is science and statistics, no politics, and ultimately likely applies at lakeside and everywhere else.

Stay safe and maintain full and increased vigilance and precautions.     

Actual coronavirus infections vastly undercounted, CDC data shows

 
APOORVA MANDAVILLI
THE NEW YORK TIMES
PUBLISHED 5 HOURS AGOUPDATED JUNE 27, 2020
SHARE

People in cars are lined up to be tested for COVID-19 as they make their way to a parking lot at Dodger Stadium on June 26, 2020 in Los Angeles, California.

MARIO TAMA/GETTY IMAGES

The number of coronavirus infections in many parts of the United States is more than 10 times higher than the reported rate, according to data released Friday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC study found that in South Florida, just under 2% of the population had been exposed to the virus as of April 10, but the proportion is likely to be higher now given the surge of infections in the state. The prevalence was highest in New York City at nearly 7% as of April 1.

The numbers indicate that even in areas hit hard by the virus, an overwhelming majority of people have not yet been infected, said Scott Hensley, a viral immunologist at the University of Pennsylvania who was not involved in the research.

“Many of us are sitting ducks who are still susceptible to second waves,” he said.

The difference between recorded infections and the actual prevalence in the data was highest in Missouri, where about 2.65% of the population was infected with the virus as of April 26, although many people might not have felt sick. This number is about 24 times the reported rate: nearly 162,000 compared with the 6,800 thought to have been infected by then.

 

The results confirm what some scientists have warned about for months: that without wider testing, scores of infected people go undetected and circulate the virus.

The CDC researchers tested samples from 11,933 people across six U.S. regions during discrete periods from March 23 through May 3: the Puget Sound region of Washington, where the first COVID-19 case in the country was diagnosed, as well as New York City, South Florida, Missouri, Utah and Connecticut.

The samples were collected at commercial laboratories from people who came in for routine screening, such as cholesterol tests, and were evaluated for the presence of antibodies to the virus — which would indicate previous infection even in the absence of symptoms.

The researchers then estimated the number of infections in each area. New York City, for example, reported 53,803 cases by April 1, but the actual number of infections was 12 times higher, nearly 642,000.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It probably is vastly underestimated everywhere in the world.. I know many people in France and Mexico who had it and never reported it.. That is not uncommon for the people who can stay home and get over it. There is no medecine for it and no cure so unless it san emergency why even go tho the doctor.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I imagine infections from seasonal influenza, chicken pox, etc. are also largely unreported. I certainly never went to the doctor if I got the flu, nor took my kids to the doctor when they got chicken pox. I wouldn't think most people would unless they were really sick, or now, to make sure it isn't COVID.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please...the subject is the malecons opening up here... again everything getting off track. I just got back from my daily walk along the pedestrian bridge and SAT malecon and back through town (many hola's, adios! with all the friendly folks here). Thankfully more and more activity, mostly young parents and children and othes out and about. Don't want to get into the politics here but my personal opinion is that it was a dumb CYA decision from the get go. As so the liquor ban, but beer and wine OK that is still in effect. Oh well, we still can enjoy the great weather with the rainy season here and at least limited restaurant and other restrictions being lifted.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...