Chapala.com Webboard

Thoughtful piece on the future of travel

This is somewhat related to the "will they come back" thread that went political and had to be closed.

https://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-blogs/future-of-travel/?fbclid=IwAR3I2q7ALx2kn7CRTbY_zVjssxheOFDj5WCd_ARleIZo6vYQPMrBzC_-2Jw

Been a lot of discussion about travel in our household  For me the big issue is airplane travel.  It is a fact airlines cannot operate profitably below 80 percent occupancy.  Given how crowded the seating on planes is now I can't envision how one could fly at a reasonable risk level.  It was airplane travel, after all, that really turned this into a world wide pandemic in a matter of weeks.

Many if not most of our seasonal visitors fly here.  How can they come without substantial risk to themselves and to us when they get here?  

Tough question.

• Thanks 1

The Cessna 172 is still the most popular airplane. I loved flying them and sometimes dream of having one of my own.  It would be perfect for the 'commute', and for trips within Mexico.      I wish........... 

What I did, when  traveled north on the 12th of this month was to #1: wear surgical gloves and #2:  wear a surgical face mask that was supposedly Covid 95 proof.  I also flew business class thinking that spacing in business/first class was better.

What a mistake :)   All of the business/first class seats were occupied and perhaps only about 20% of the tourist class seats were occupied with plenty of spacing.

I guess we all thought that upgrading to business/first class was the solution  :)  making it so crowed that 6 foot spacing was not possible in first class. But there was no problem in tourist class.

Good food for thought. Our family are all in Ontario Canada and a trip up there would require us to self quarantine for 14 days, go directly to that location from airport, no stopping for coffee or groceries, this is until further notice. I. Ok with the policy and only wish Mexico was able to do the same and close the border to the countries whos cases continue to explode due to non compliance of social distancing and mask wearing. 

47 minutes ago, Guiness said:

Good food for thought. Our family are all in Ontario Canada and a trip up there would require us to self quarantine for 14 days, go directly to that location from airport, no stopping for coffee or groceries, this is until further notice. I. Ok with the policy and only wish Mexico was able to do the same and close the border to the countries whos cases continue to explode due to non compliance of social distancing and mask wearing. 

Except that cases are exploding in Mexico due to non compliance of social distancing and mask wearing.  It has been observed there are a much higher percentage of cases among younger people in Mexico precisely because of this.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

The Cessna 172 is still the most popular airplane. I loved flying them and sometimes dream of having one of my own.  It would be perfect for the 'commute', and for trips within Mexico.      I wish........... 

I had one for many years,  "The station wagon of the sky"."

Very forgiving. I loved it.

2 hours ago, johanson said:

What I did, when  traveled north on the 12th of this month was to #1: wear surgical gloves and #2:  wear a surgical face mask that was supposedly Covid 95 proof.  I also flew business class thinking that spacing in business/first class was better.

What a mistake :)   All of the business/first class seats were occupied and perhaps only about 20% of the tourist class seats were occupied with plenty of spacing.

I guess we all thought that upgrading to business/first class was the solution  :)  making it so crowed that 6 foot spacing was not possible in first class. But there was no problem in tourist class.

Couldn't you just have changed seats? Sorry of a downgrade.

Yes, I should have. But I was too lazy. So far, no signs of the Corona Virus and it's been almost 13 days. To protect me, though, I did take the recommended Corona anti-virus treatment and it seems to be working. In fact they provided the anti virus treatment on the plane for all business/first class passengers for free. Oh, Eric the treatment, and so for it has been working is 2 corona beers per day. 

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, johanson said:

Yes, I should have. But I was too lazy. So far, no signs of the Corona Virus and it's been almost 13 days. To protect me, though, I did take the recommended Corona anti-virus treatment and it seems to be working. In fact they provided the anti virus treatment on the plane for all business/first class passengers for free. Oh, Eric the treatment, and so for it has been working is 2 corona beers per day. 

What anti virus treatment are you referring to.....?