Chapala.com Webboard

FDA warning - hand sanitizers by a Mx company

For those who do not like to read articles in total..

bottom  line:  FDA has  issued warnings about a Mx hand sanitzier comapny that has used methanol  alcohol in their hand sanitizer products.

The name of the company is: Eskbiochem SA de CV in Mexico  -  contains  wood methanol, a toxic substance that could ultimately result in death of absorbed through the skin or ingested.

Here are a list of the hand sanitizers manufactured by Eskbiochem:

• All-Clean Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-002-01)
  • Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-007-01)
  • CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-008-04)
  • The Good Gel Antibacterial Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-010-10)
  • CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-005-03)
  • CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-009-01)
  • CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-003-01)
  • Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-001-01)

“Consumers who have been exposed to hand sanitizer containing methanol should seek immediate treatment, which is critical for potential reversal of toxic effects of methanol poisoning,”  the FDA  wrote on June 19 . 

“Substantial methanol exposure can result in nausea, vomiting, headache, blurred vision, permanent blindness, seizures, coma, permanent damage to the nervous system or death,” the report indicated.

t

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for this. Just went to check the gallon of alcohol gel I bought at Costco about 2 months ago and thankfully it's manufactured by a company called Aerobal. I wonder how much of the hand sanitizer they squirt on you when you enter stores is the bad stuff. I use it as little as possible anyway. I have some in my car, but I also carry a gallon of water and soap. And I only use soap and water at home.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

An update to this post from a month ago. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) now lists not just the 8 hand sanitizers manufactured by Eskbiochem, but 77 hand sanitizers that contain toxic wood methanol. Note that EVERY single product on the warning list is manufactured in Mexico. The list includes brands sold at Walmart. I wouldn’t be surprised if the same brands are sold at Soriana and local pharmacies.

I read the news story here: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/toxic-hand-sanitizer-75-brands-fda-warning/ (as of 6:46AM on 7/24/20, list contains 75 products).

Since the U.S. Food and Drug Administration is adding products they test to the list, might be better to check the FDA site for the updated list, which as of 4:00pm on 7/24/20 contains 77 products: https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-updates-hand-sanitizers-methanol

See Jackie's original post above for risks associated with toxic wood methanol.

I’ve been gladly using the hand sanitizer that’s dispensed by the attendants at Walmart’s entrance, but from now on will either ask to check the brand (if I could possibly remember 77 brand names) or more likely decline. Now, if I decline, will Walmart (or any other store) let me in?

4 minutes ago, InChapala1 said:

I’ve been gladly using the hand sanitizer that’s dispensed by the attendants at Walmart’s entrance, but from now on will either ask to check the brand (if I could possibly remember 77 brand names) or more likely decline. Now, if I decline, will Walmart (or any other store) let me in?

I bought a gallon jug of hand sanitizer at Costco a couple months ago, which thankfully isn't on that list of 77. What I've been doing since these reports started coming out, is I take the small container of it that I refill from the jug and keep in my car with me when I go into a store so I can put it on in front of them if they try to insist on squirting me with theirs. So far I haven't had to do that, I've just said that I just used some in my car before entering the store and they've let me pass.

• Thanks 1