Chapala.com Webboard

Eyeglass shop next to Telmex or others...Comments?

This is the eyeglass place in the small open fronted strip just east of Telmex. I had cataract surgery in both eyes by Dr. Claudia just before the lock-down. There was an amazing outcome and would recommend her and her staff heartily. The EyeCenter has a office in Chapala (above the INS) for consultation and examination (many modern devises and machines), but the surgery center is in Guadalajara. The surgeries (lens implants) were 2 weeks apart and the 2 followups (for each eye) were completed just before the lock down. My final appointment had to be delayed and now is scheduled for July 6th. This is for the final eye examination for prescriptions that I need. I have an astigmatism not cured by the cataract surgery that might require glasses (although I do not see how I could see more clearly), and i defiantly need reading glasses. So I will need prescriptions for lenses filled and choices for frames. Of course I want the most professional lens prescription fulfillment, while also keeping in mind the cost factor. Any comments on this place or other recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Gracias  

Drive to the closest Costco store which if driving through Joco is Costco store #730.  I'm up in Seattle right now and I will be going to Costco store #1 which happens to be just 4 miles from my Condo And while checking your glasses be you lakeside or in Seattle they have also got a great hearing aid centers where.

I find the Costco products first class and the prices extremely low/fair

8 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

I would also reccommend Dra Luz at LCS. Dr Pinto also does an excellent job. I went to the place next to Telmex and got cheap frames. Big mistake - they only lasted a few months before they started cracking.

Does she also have the frame samples at LCS? I will have the prescription, just need to get lens fulfillment and frames. Also has LCS reopened?

Personally,  I would stay clear from the business close to Telmex as its a "chain" store. The same owner also has a store on the main drag in Chapala as well as in Jocotepec. I bought glasses from the one in Ajijic about 5 years ago and needed the frames adjusted. They did not have the machine to do so (little heater device). Was told to go to the store in Chapala and they told me to go to the store in Jocotepec. The store in Jocotepec told me to return again the next day as the owner had the device at home....

I used Pinto in Riberas after my cataract surgery about 2 years ago and was very happy.

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, MtnMama said:

I would also reccommend Dra Luz at LCS. Dr Pinto also does an excellent job. I went to the place next to Telmex and got cheap frames. Big mistake - they only lasted a few months before they started cracking.

And how is this Christina's fault?  The OP has his prescription and only needs frames. This place used to have Dr. Salvadore there until he went to Guadalajara to further his education. He is now on Hidalgo 2 doors west of the plaza in Ajijic. I've had the same excellent prescription for 10 years and the frames are still good, all from these people.

• Like 1

Just curious.  You can buy frames many, many places lakeside.  Buy the frames and go to Dra. Camancho in Chapala to get the prescription filled with your new frames.   She obviously cares about your vision more than any other optical place here. 

I have used the girl at the little store east of Telmex. She was very helpful but i wondered how qualified she was. For glasses a prescription would return to Dra. Comacho with frames or go to Costco. 

13 hours ago, gringohombre said:

This is the eyeglass place in the small open fronted strip just east of Telmex. I had cataract surgery in both eyes by Dr. Claudia just before the lock-down. There was an amazing outcome and would recommend her and her staff heartily. The EyeCenter has a office in Chapala (above the INS) for consultation and examination (many modern devises and machines), but the surgery center is in Guadalajara. The surgeries (lens implants) were 2 weeks apart and the 2 followups (for each eye) were completed just before the lock down. My final appointment had to be delayed and now is scheduled for July 6th. This is for the final eye examination for prescriptions that I need. I have an astigmatism not cured by the cataract surgery that might require glasses (although I do not see how I could see more clearly), and i defiantly need reading glasses. So I will need prescriptions for lenses filled and choices for frames. Of course I want the most professional lens prescription fulfillment, while also keeping in mind the cost factor. Any comments on this place or other recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Gracias  

We had a poor experience where they wouldn't repair the defective frames 1 week after purchase.

OK...thank you for all the input. I was not aware that Dr. Claudia has a large frame selection in Chapala. I was there 5 times...for the consultation and 4 follow ups after the 2 surgeries and did not see what I saw in Guad. at the sugery center so assumed that I would have to go there to select frames. I just talked to Michael, her executive assistant and he told me that there is a large frame display in another room in Chapala that I was not aware of. I will be checking these out and also getting the prescription lens prices when there on July 6th. So at this point I think I will stick with Dr. Claudia. Thanks again