Chapala.com Webboard
oregontochapala

For those who swear that Ajijic is always left out by the Municipal Gobierno

That's SIMAPA.  We pay for that separately.  The article also indicates the water issues are not just Ajijic and are being addressed.

Not the same as the lack of basic street maintenance or things like the Malecon and keeping the heavily trafficked areas swept.  Those services are minimal or non existent in Ajijic now.  When we moved here 12 years ago the potholes were repaired regularly, the Malecon was maintained and there was a crew of guys who swept the busier streets.

Now if you want to see those activities you have to go to Chapala.

If you had been here then you would know this.

Basicaly, IMO, most people are on their own. Anything from the government is a surprise gift.

19 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

That's SIMAPA.  We pay for that separately.  The article also indicates the water issues are not just Ajijic and are being addressed.

Not the same as the lack of basic street maintenance or things like the Malecon and keeping the heavily trafficked areas swept.  Those services are minimal or non existent in Ajijic now.  When we moved here 12 years ago the potholes were repaired regularly, the Malecon was maintained and there was a crew of guys who swept the busier streets.

Now if you want to see those activities you have to go to Chapala.

If you had been here then you would know this.

Man, I wish I lived in the Chapala of your fantasy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It wasn’t a fantasy. Ask the locals.  I came here first in 1965f and have seen the gradual deterioration over the years.  People swept their sidewalk and to the middle of the street in front of their houses, they also repaired the potholes. La Japonesa had a program with neighborhood kids going around the town on Saturdays cleaning up, rewarded with a sandwich and a carton of juice.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Taaffe said:

...neighborhood kids going around the town on Saturdays cleaning up, rewarded with a sandwich and a carton of juice.

archie-edith-bunker-4a-280.jpg

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Taaffe said:

It wasn’t a fantasy. Ask the locals.  I came here first in 1965f and have seen the gradual deterioration over the years.  People swept their sidewalk and to the middle of the street in front of their houses, they also repaired the potholes. La Japonesa had a program with neighborhood kids going around the town on Saturdays cleaning up, rewarded with a sandwich and a carton of juice.

I am not talking about the marvelous past, but of MC’s current fantasy Chapala where there are crews of guys sweeping the streets, repairing potholes and everything apparently is kept clean and repaired. 

1 hour ago, Taaffe said:

I remember that wonderful Japanese lady who you would see walking the streets, I believe of Ajijic who would pick up garbage in the street left by others. She was greatly appreciated by all. I believe she past on some 20 years ago.  And when there was a pot hole on Juarez in Ajijic which lead up to my home a neighbor living near to this pothole would repair it. Because there were costs involved for the cement, and/or stones we  would often drop off a few pesos to help. This apparently happened all over town

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Xena said:

I am not talking about the marvelous past, but of MC’s current fantasy Chapala where there are crews of guys sweeping the streets, repairing potholes and everything apparently is kept clean and repaired. 

I think you need to get out more.  I take and pick up our maid twice weekly  and see the municipal workers out  along the main roads sweeping, fixing, every time.  As is being pointed out to you by Dano and others.

I don't recall Chapala residents raising money to fix their Malecon or having beauty contests to raise money to fix pot holes.  Maybe I missed those?  :D 

• Like 1

Just now, johanson said:

I remember that wonderful Japanese lady who you would see walking the streets, I believe of Ajijic who would pick up garbage in the street left by others. She was greatly appreciated by all. I believe she past on some 20 years ago.  And when there was a pot hole on Juarez in Ajijic which lead up to my home a neighbor living near to this pothole would repair it. Because there were costs involved for the cement, and/or stones we  would often drop off a few pesos to help. This apparently happened all over town

Pete, Did you ever think WHY this lady and her group of kids found it necessary to go out every week and clean up some else mess...who are these morons who toss trash around...is there no pride in ones , location, home or other person property...The fact is Mexico is a trashy  place....I recall many years ago when driving down we would look for a lay by that was free of garbage , bottles and other stuff...never found one...and 25 years latter still the same old habit's

• Thanks 1

I purchased seventeen 135 liter garbage cans with lids for the community where I live (I bought them in Guadalajara directly from the manufacturer) . My street is litter free. The other street which is the main entrance is still littered with garbage.....I now refer to garbage as the Mexican national flower when discussing the matter with my neighbors. ☺️ 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I think you need to get out more.  I take and pick up our maid twice weekly  and see the municipal workers out  along the main roads sweeping, fixing, every time.  As is being pointed out to you by Dano and others.

I don't recall Chapala residents raising money to fix their Malecon or having beauty contests to raise money to fix pot holes.  Maybe I missed those?  :D 

You are hilarious! Twice a week you observe workers “on the main roads” so, of course, I am the one who needs to get out more. That you think you know more about Chapala than someone who lives here, someone who regularly drives and walks a lot more than the main streets, says more about you than you realize.  I know you have missed the projects done here by volunteers because here we just do it without jumping up and down screaming “Look at me! Look what I am doing.” I should have known better than to try to introduce some reality to your never-ending  pity party. Carry on. 

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, HoneyBee said:

I purchased seventeen 135 liter garbage cans with lids for the community where I live (I bought them in Guadalajara directly from the manufacturer) . My street is litter free. The other street which is the main entrance is still littered with garbage.....I now refer to garbage as the Mexican national flower when discussing the matter with my neighbors. ☺️ 

That is very commendable of you HB and goes a long way to fixing the problem..I believe many people are looking for a place to dispose of their trash....the other half is to get the bins emptied on a regular basis ...But the ultimate "cure" is to teach people NOT TO THROW TRASH ON THE STREETS...I wonder what their bathroom habits are 

I remember maybe 10 years ago when we could find Mainecoons out painting over graffiti in Ajijic. at least 2 or 3 times per week. And therefore keeping Ajijic looking great or at least much better than it would have were he and his friends not getting rid of the graffiti

• Like 1

The municipality is broke because of thieving politicians. Who build multiple houses when they are displaced or even volunteer to investigate 55 million missing pesos when they disappeared during their admin , but never to seem to find the missing money. What happened to the department heads who couldn't or wouldn't explain missing money? That is why you get minimal services. 

I know there have been crews working on potholes in Ajijic. You'd have to be blind to miss them. But, the local people insist on the stones and they vote. Get citizenship and vote and then be vocal if you really want to get something done. The expat citizens should organize and vote as a block. That would get results.  

• Sad 1

Chapala is the municipality, Ajijic is one of the pueblos. No comparison. Compare Ajijic with the other pueblos in the municipality. The ones who are not whining constantly about their potholes or lack of services, etc. and are treated the same as, or in many cases worse than Ajijic.

• Thanks 3

The Ajijic plaza is taken care of daily.  This has not changed with the virus.  I walk to the plaza every morning for five years so I know.  It is also pressure washed once a month. Yes some things are not as well maintained as MC points out but the plaza is not an issue in Ajijic.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, #HarryB said:

The municipality is broke because of thieving politicians. Who build multiple houses when they are displaced or even volunteer to investigate 55 million missing pesos when they disappeared during their admin , but never to seem to find the missing money. What happened to the department heads who couldn't or wouldn't explain missing money? That is why you get minimal services. 

I know there have been crews working on potholes in Ajijic. You'd have to be blind to miss them. But, the local people insist on the stones and they vote. Get citizenship and vote and then be vocal if you really want to get something done. The expat citizens should organize and vote as a block. That would get results.  

It's interesting that you bite the hand that allegedly feeds/fed you as you have boasted about your connection to them.Last government was PAN  so you're saying ,what? lovesdogs seem to have their finger on the pulse of things.If you're going to make such serious accusations on a public forum,you are just stating another baseless rumour unless you name names which you can do with impunity a a Mexican citizen.

Yea it was me who took a Chapala Flag and grabbed Degollado for a foto op and then shoved it in the face of everyone who would look and then crowed about the FREE paint tob that you screwed some poor mexican out of------- Oh! NO! that was you!

BTW the last gov in Chapala was your good buddy PRI did they ever find the missing 55 million? Did you get part of it for your reno? WHO is the boaster? You even boast that your good loving neighbors pile their trash outside your front window! What a hypocrite!!!!

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, #HarryB said:

Yea it was me who took a Chapala Flag and grabbed Degollado for a foto op and then shoved it in the face of everyone who would look and then crowed about the FREE paint tob that you screwed some poor mexican out of------- Oh! NO! that was you!

BTW the last gov in Chapala was your good buddy PRI did they ever find the missing 55 million? Did you get part of it for your reno? WHO is the boaster? You even boast that your good loving neighbors pile their trash outside your front window! What a hypocrite!!!!

BEHAVE LIKE A GOOD BOY OR I’LL SEND YOU TO TIME OUT!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I stand corrected re: last gov't was PRI, then 2 terms PAN then the first gov't I worked with was PRI before those two. I did not "take" the flag . It was given to me as a gift for voluntary services rendered to Chapala gov'ts and local Mexican citizens as verified by Mexican and Canadian media.

Twinning_13[1].jpg

barrhead leader 1.jpg

barrhead leader 2.jpg

chapala flag 002.jpg

honorifico.jpg

honorifico 2.JPG

• Like 1

To paraphrase a well-known U.S. senator: "I'm sick and tired hearing about your damned potholes." Haven't read so much about potholes since my freshman class in political science. If I remember right, the textbook said that in local elections, where there are often no issues of importance to debate, you can always count on potholes and garbage pickup to attack an incumbent opponent, since there will always be potholes in the streets and trash cans waiting to be emptied. Seems some people around here never got beyond that freshman level of political science. There are important local issues to be discussed and debated. Potholes ain't one of 'em.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is a right way to fix a pothole and the wrong way. Unfortunately the right way is not done so the potholes come back and back. Must be a make work program.

3 minutes ago, michael2595 said:

There is a right way to fix a pothole and the wrong way. Unfortunately the right way is not done so the potholes come back and back. Must be a make work program.

It's the "ley de la chamba"   basically means a job guarantee for the future

• Like 1