Chapala.com Webboard

TIP

Hola

I am in Canada right now and I am wondering how to proceed with my TIP when purchasing a new car.

My TIP is good till January 4 2021 when I will get my temporary residence visa renewed. 

When purchasing a vehicle here in Canada how does one get the current TIP linked to the new car ? 

TIA. 

• Haha 1

The TIP is tied to a specific car only.  You should have turned it in when leaving Mexico in your current car.  You will have to get a new TIP for the new car.  If you didn't turn in the TIP on exit I suggest you contact Spencer the immigration/customs attorney and see what can be done.

Yes, if you were going to purchase a new vehicle while out of Mexico you should have turned in the old one upon exit. Definitely get in touch with Spencer BEFORE you try to come back in as you will have to 'jump through some hoops' with regards to the existing TIP. 

About seven years ago I exited Mexico without canceling my TIP because it was just to darn hot and there was a very long line to get it canceled so I decided simply to lose the deposit. When I re entered Mexico with the same car I simply had to go thru a phony exit located in the parking lot in order to get the old TIP canceled and a new one issued. Now since your current TIP is still valid until 2021 why even bother. On a side note, maybe I should put a picture of the prime minister on my sign in handle. ☺️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickS said:

Yes, if you were going to purchase a new vehicle while out of Mexico you should have turned in the old one upon exit. Definitely get in touch with Spencer BEFORE you try to come back in as you will have to 'jump through some hoops' with regards to the existing TIP. 

I wasn't planning on getting a new car I had to get a new car. 

A body shop in Riberas that was repairing a dent set my car on fire when grinding. It took from March 10th to May 12th before I could leave Lakeside. I had to threaten with going to the Presidente of Chapala before the shop would do anything. They wanted me to pay half. 

When I got back to Canada I had a couple of electrical problems and when I took the cowling off it was not a new wiring harness but spliced together and extra wires loose. They said they put in a new wiring harness. I could not check before I left because I couldn't afford any further delays or my work status at home would of been lost. 

All 3 mechanics I have been to all said to get rid of the car. 

What to do 😞

26 minutes ago, JGiff said:

I wasn't planning on getting a new car I had to get a new car. 

A body shop in Riberas that was repairing a dent set my car on fire when grinding. It took from March 10th to May 12th before I could leave Lakeside. I had to threaten with going to the Presidente of Chapala before the shop would do anything. They wanted me to pay half. 

When I got back to Canada I had a couple of electrical problems and when I took the cowling off it was not a new wiring harness but spliced together and extra wires loose. They said they put in a new wiring harness. I could not check before I left because I couldn't afford any further delays or my work status at home would of been lost. 

All 3 mechanics I have been to all said to get rid of the car. 

What to do 😞

If I understand correctly, you did not have your TIP removed when exiting Mexico. Now you want to return to Mexico with a different car. There may be a way to do this but you need legal advice before showing up at the border with your new car.  Talk with Spencer or another attorney down here to find out the best way to proceed. 

I did send Spencer an email back in March with what had happened with the body shop saying that I would possibly need his help. No response at all. I used them to do all my temporary residence permit and Adunana in January but I guess that doesn't mean anything. 

Any other suggestions ? 

Aduana rules prohibit you from ever bringing another car into Mexico if you have a previous car "in Mexico", which is exactly what they assume at this point.  They require that the previous car be present at the border, upon exit from Mexico, and that the Importada Temporal be surrendered. A receipt is provided to you, which you should keep forever as proof of the removal of that specific vehicle. They will not accept your "reasons" or excuses.

So, the obvious solution is to drive the old car back to Mexico, straight to Banjercito at the border, turn in the Importada Temporal, get your receipt and take the car back out of Mexico.

If you wish to buy a new car, you have two options. One is to drive back to Canada and make the purchase there, before taking the new car to Mexico on a new Importada Temporal.  The other option would be to take a bus to your Mexican destination, and then buy a new car in Mexico (which you will not be allowed to drive in Canada.

Your mistake has created this situation, and correcting it is not going to be easy or inexpensive......unfortunately. Just don't part with the old car, as you will need to produce it.  That suggests that it might be wise to have it properly repaired by a dealership or a qualified automotive electrician in preparation for the trip back to Mexico.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JGiff said:

I did send Spencer an email back in March with what had happened with the body shop saying that I would possibly need his help. No response at all. I used them to do all my temporary residence permit and Adunana in January but I guess that doesn't mean anything. 

Any other suggestions ? 

If all you said was you would “possibly” need his help what reply did you expect? Anyway, there are other attorneys you may ask. Or, you can just keep asking strangers on sites like this until you hear an answer you like. It might even be correct. Best of luck. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Actually, he probably won't like the "correct answer".

For years, I have strongly advised against taking a car out of Mexico without surrendering the Importada Temporal.  If it failed, were wrecked, burned, or was stolen, the owner/importer would find himself in this same situation; unable to bring another foreign plated car into Mexico.  But....if he has a non-Mexican wife, she could get a TIP for "her car", even if it were titled in both names.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Xena said:

If all you said was you would “possibly” need his help what reply did you expect? Anyway, there are other attorneys you may ask. Or, you can just keep asking strangers on sites like this until you hear an answer you like. It might even be correct. Best of luck. 

Hey Xena

No reason to be a smart ###. I would of liked something like " got your email and if you need help please contact me ". 

Maybe that's to complicated for you to understand and if you can't answer a question without being a jerk then don't answer. 

Read the rules of the board. 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, JGiff said:

Hey Xena

No reason to be a smart ###. I would of liked something like " got your email and if you need help please contact me ". 

Maybe that's to complicated for you to understand and if you can't answer a question without being a jerk then don't answer. 

Read the rules of the board. 

As I said, best of luck. 

JGiff, you got your answer.  The TIP goes with the first car.  You cannot transfer it.  Probably the best bet at this point is to fix the car, bring it back and on the next exit, turn in the TIP.  

Unfortunately, Mexico is a real pain in the neck about cars.  We finally gave up on the TIP juggling and got a Mexican plated car.  Should have done it as soon as we moved down, frankly.  Among other benefits a lot less hassles from the Transitos.

Some people who only live here part time have found it worth while to keep a car her year round.

RV has given you a possible solution, make the new one her car, put it in her name and get a TIP for it on that basis.  I still would try to find a way to turn in that existing TIP if possible.

No easy answers on this one, sorry.

• Thanks 2

Those who err are prone to take their frustrations out on others, as is evident here. When advice is offered, it may not always be what they wanted to hear. That fact cannot be avoided. An adverse reaction may cause others to avoid trying to help in the future.  So be it......Mexico does have its rules, and we must live by them when we live in Mexico. That even includes leaving Mexico properly.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, JGiff said:

Hola

I am in Canada right now and I am wondering how to proceed with my TIP when purchasing a new car.

My TIP is good till January 4 2021 when I will get my temporary residence visa renewed. 

When purchasing a vehicle here in Canada how does one get the current TIP linked to the new car ? 

TIA. 

If you're a couple, you could put the new car, in the other person's name - problem solved.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Those who err are prone to take their frustrations out on others, as is evident here. When advice is offered, it may not always be what they wanted to hear. That fact cannot be avoided. An adverse reaction may cause others to avoid trying to help in the future.  So be it......Mexico does have its rules, and we must live by them when we live in Mexico. That even includes leaving Mexico properly.

What are you talking about Gringo ? If you are responding to my comment to Xena please reread it. His comment " . Or, you can just keep asking strangers on sites like this until you hear an answer you like. " was so unfair and rude as that is not what I am doing. 

• Sad 1

I'd talk to local attorney Azucena Bateman of ABC Legal.  She's the real immigration expert, responds quickly to phone calls and e-mails and her fees are very reasonable.  There are many Mexican attorneys in town who are capable and could help, but Azucena has never disappointed me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Don’t  listen to anyone who tells you “I’ve pmd you”  with suggestions or offers of help. Some how you have to return the vehicle to Mexico to get the TIP off you’re record.. that is the best way.. Hiring a lawyer to do it can be done but it will be nightmare, expensive and takes a long time to accomplish and you still won’t be allowed to bring another vehicle in until you’re old TIP is resolved.  You will also need Use  a lawyer in Canada, the vehicle will need to have a written appraisal stating that vehicle is no longer drivable,  the appraisal will need to notarized and translated into Spanish,  then you use a lawyer here in Mexico to present you’re case to the relevant authority here..

Or do as others have suggested put the new vehicle in you’re partners name if you have one that is...

I for one would like to know the name of the body shop that caused the damage to you’re vehicle.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 4:56 PM, TelsZ4 said:

Don’t  listen to anyone who tells you “I’ve pmd you”  with suggestions or offers of help. Some how you have to return the vehicle to Mexico to get the TIP off you’re record.. that is the best way.. Hiring a lawyer to do it can be done but it will be nightmare, expensive and takes a long time to accomplish and you still won’t be allowed to bring another vehicle in until you’re old TIP is resolved.  You will also need Use  a lawyer in Canada, the vehicle will need to have a written appraisal stating that vehicle is no longer drivable,  the appraisal will need to notarized and translated into Spanish,  then you use a lawyer here in Mexico to present you’re case to the relevant authority here..

Or do as others have suggested put the new vehicle in you’re partners name if you have one that is...

I for one would like to know the name of the body shop that caused the damage to you’re vehicle.

The person that pmd me is a friend so you start off wrong.  Thanks for your opinion though. I do appreciate them all   :<{}

Please stop asking for opinions here and do yourself a big favor and speak with a lawyer. It appears to me the suggestions here of driving the old car back down here will be both dangerous and expensive. Putting the new car and another's name will not help if you wish a second car in the future. Get advise from someone who knows, not someone who thinks or supposes the correct way to fix your problem.

1 hour ago, luvsdawgs said:

Please stop asking for opinions here and do yourself a big favor and speak with a lawyer. It appears to me the suggestions here of driving the old car back down here will be both dangerous and expensive. Putting the new car and another's name will not help if you wish a second car in the future. Get advise from someone who knows, not someone who thinks or supposes the correct way to fix your problem.

Gracias for your comment.  I have sent a letter to a lawyer. The reason I posted this is to see if anyone else has gone through this. 

• Like 2

On 6/20/2020 at 12:43 PM, JGiff said:

Any other suggestions ? 

My experience with Spencer's office is that they don't respond to email. They do, however, answer the phone so now I just call.

• Like 1