Chapala.com Webboard

guidance may purchase car this week end in guadalajara from owner saturday

You and the seller both need to go the the recaudadora to do the transfer. There they will check for infractions etc and make the transfer to your name.  Until you have done that you should not give the seller any money. 

Unless you personally know the seller be very careful. There is a lot of fraud, and people have been robbed of their money.  

• Like 3

You can check on line for any outstanding tickets.  for some reason I can’t copy the link, I’m sure someone will post it here.  Before I get my sticker in January I use to check if I have any outstanding tickets.. 
Even if the seller goes with you to transfer the ownership, it doesn’t guarantee anything,  the paper work moves so slowly in Mexico that by the time the recaudadora get the paper work listing the car as stolen it’s already been sold, This happened to a friend of mine .. I personally would not buy from a private seller unless I knew him personally, If you buy from a dealer and there is an issue you know where to find him..

9 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

You can check on line for any outstanding tickets.  for some reason I can’t copy the link, I’m sure someone will post it here.  Before I get my sticker in January I use to check if I have any outstanding tickets.. 
Even if the seller goes with you to transfer the ownership, it doesn’t guarantee anything,  the paper work moves so slowly in Mexico that by the time the recaudadora get the paper work listing the car as stolen it’s already been sold, This happened to a friend of mine .. I personally would not buy from a private seller unless I knew him personally, If you buy from a dealer and there is an issue you know where to find him..

Also happened to someone I know.

16 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

You and the seller both need to go the the recaudadora to do the transfer. There they will check for infractions etc and make the transfer to your name.  Until you have done that you should not give the seller any money. 

If you can't do that, or if the seller refuses, do not buy that car!!!! Don't even give a down payment until you have gone to the Recaudadora together, and all of the paperwork has been inspected and approved. Then, they will make the transfer and you make the payment; not before.

Youalso have to check that the registration and plates have been kept up to date. Any missing years will be charged to you. It's the one thing my mechanic forgot to check when he accompanied me to check out a used vehicle I bought. We checked that it hadn't been reported stolen, he checked over the factura, and all the other paperwork, but never checked that and I didn't know to. I ended up having to pay for 2 years that were in arrears.