Chapala.com Webboard

Brewpubs at Lakeside

blankletmusic

Although I have had somewhat better luck with the beer, Oregontochapala is 100% right on the other points. Indifferent service even when we're unfailingly polite and pleasant, very inconsistent food, and acoustics so poor that it's almost impossible to hold a conversation when there are more than a couple of tables occupied. 

It's a real shame that it's not better... The potential is there. 

6 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Although I have had somewhat better luck with the beer, Oregontochapala is 100% right on the other points. Indifferent service even when we're unfailingly polite and pleasant, very inconsistent food, and acoustics so poor that it's almost impossible to hold a conversation when there are more than a couple of tables occupied. 

It's a real shame that it's not better... The potential is there. 

Really sorry to hear this. Had hoped this might be a remedy for the generally crappy beer situation SOB.

As others have stated, the Brewhouse's prices are very reasonable. That's not the problem: these guys just don't brew anything worthwhile. I mean, are their wares generally better than Corona or maybe even Bohemia? Yeah, I guess. But your expectations are likely, and understandably, higher if a place, like this, brews onsite and holds itself out as a "brewhouse". I've had nothing there which is even vaguely impressive. A lot of their stuff is pretty true to style; so there's that. But, really, 75% of homebrewers do better. I don't relish these comments. I would love a good (or, gasp, great) local beer. But, to paraphrase Bill W., the first step is acknowledging there's a problem.

1 hour ago, oregontochapala said:

We have found some good bottled craft type beers and the selection has grown significantly over the past couple of years. Columbo makes a few that are really good and the Ippolita by Fortuna is excellent.  Grab a good take out meal, a few bottles and enjoy an evening at home.

Are these sold at Paz Liquors?

17 hours ago, Sorn said:

As others have stated, the Brewhouse's prices are very reasonable. That's not the problem: these guys just don't brew anything worthwhile. I mean, are their wares generally better than Corona or maybe even Bohemia? Yeah, I guess. But your expectations are likely, and understandably, higher if a place, like this, brews onsite and holds itself out as a "brewhouse". I've had nothing there which is even vaguely impressive. A lot of their stuff is pretty true to style; so there's that. But, really, 75% of homebrewers do better. I don't relish these comments. I would love a good (or, gasp, great) local beer. But, to paraphrase Bill W., the first step is acknowledging there's a problem.

You mention homebrewers. Are there homebrew supplies (brewing equipment, malt extracts, hops, etc.) for sale at Lakeside? You're right-it's unfortunate that this place doesn't turn out better quality brews. That would solve the beer problem for a lot of people as their prices are pretty good. For me Corona, Sol, Bohemia just don't cut it. I need a beer that's all malt, not the adjunct varieties.

I've not seen any brewing supplies lakeside. Granted, I've not sought them out. My guess is you'd have to hit Guadalajara for that. I brewed back in the states for five years or so as a hobby, even though better stuff from pros was obviously available. I'd be tempted to do it here out of necessity.

On 6/19/2020 at 10:41 AM, Sorn said:

I've not seen any brewing supplies lakeside. Granted, I've not sought them out. My guess is you'd have to hit Guadalajara for that. I brewed back in the states for five years or so as a hobby, even though better stuff from pros was obviously available. I'd be tempted to do it here out of necessity.

I haven't either but then again I really haven't looked. I made my own beer also for a very long time cause like several people have said, I want malt(ever try 'Barleywine'?)or at least lets have some quality. The brewery's in Oregon(Hair of the Dog was a favorite)and a lot in Colorado make some real good beer.  

19 hours ago, ragtopman said:

I haven't either but then again I really haven't looked. I made my own beer also for a very long time cause like several people have said, I want malt(ever try 'Barleywine'?)or at least lets have some quality. The brewery's in Oregon(Hair of the Dog was a favorite)and a lot in Colorado make some real good beer.  

Ha! Yep, barleywines, quads, and imperial IPAs were my go-to brews. Big beers with high ABVs hid the flaws in my amateurish techniques. I sucked at lighter stuff like pale ales, blondes, and bitters. Nothing to hide the mistakes.