Chapala.com Webboard

Just a short survey 

Do you  continue to pay for  Medicare Part B ?  Are you comfortable with the Mexican medical services so much so that you don't plan on returning to the U S.

Have anyone cancelled their Medicare then had to pay the added premium to resign ?

2 minutes ago, AllenHoffman said:

Just a short survey 

Do you  continue to pay for  Medicare Part B ?  Are you comfortable with the Mexican medical services so much so that you don't plan on returning to the U S.

Have anyone cancelled their Medicare then had to pay the added premium to resign ?

sent you a PM

If you plan to travel at all in the U.S. sign up for part B. It will be cheaper than travel ins. in the U.S.  If there is any chance at all, even a remote chance, that you may one day move back to the U.S., do not opt out of part B.  Personal experience is my source of information. You will pay a penalty for the rest of your life. Your choice, but I would advise not opting out of part B.

Note latest move is travel insurance no longer covers the virus anymore.  Maybe you should keep part B.  Its a personal thang.  I will avoid US until I can purchase travel insurance again and it may be a while.

9 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

I do not pay part B. With the money I save I pay for IMSS and dental checkups. Still have money left over. 

How much have you saved in say 10 years??

Tough call. Doctor bills in the US could eat up $13,000, your ten years of savings, fast ..even considering  Part A/hospitalization  Is automatic for everyone 

Since we are under TRICARE, hubby has no choice but MUST pay for Part B. It's a good thing, too, because while up north, he had to go to the emergency room. Long story short, some serious medical issues were addressed. Total bills so far:  over $300k. Our cost with Medicare/Tricare:  $0. It's absolutely worth keeping/paying the cost. As we get older, our health is not going to improve.

FWIW, the times that he's used Mexican medical (private), it's been excellent. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, court0503 said:

Tough call. Doctor bills in the US could eat up $13,000, your ten years of savings, fast ..even considering  Part A/hospitalization  Is automatic for everyone 

That's impossible. I don't live in the US. I have 100% coverage zero deductible in Mexico. 

I dropped Part B for 1 1/2 years for financial reasons.  When I tried to get back on, I had to wait 6 months for open enrollment.  After you enroll, there is still a 6 month wait before it goes into effect AND you have the privilege of paying a penalty the rest of your life.  The penalty goes up each year you are uncovered.

This decision is really a personal one and one size does not fit one other, much less all.

Many folks who drop paying say that they did so because 'they will NEVER return to the US so why keep paying'. Only problem is.... stuff happens and folks who they and me thought Mexico was their forever home and they would NEVER go back.... go back. I've had 5 different friends/couple who have done this and two of them said 'the only way they would go back is in a black bag'. This was after a lot of years most times too. Well, things change or in the vernacular "sh*t happens!"   

In my experience the main factors are 1) medical reasons, 2) family and 3) 'just got tired of the Mexican way of life' (for all the things that can mean).

I also have friends who said they would not go back and they HAVE NOT after 10-15 years. So one never knows. I personally look at it like paying for life insurance.... one pays it but seldom uses it. But I do understand that the cost, currently about $140/mo I think, is not chicken feed to just seemingly throw away.

• Like 5

A

Two friends of mine both recently had hip replacement surgery locally ...it cost them  around 20 thousand USD ,...just saying...?

On 6/19/2020 at 9:06 PM, Ian Greenwood said:

A

Two friends of mine both recently had hip replacement surgery locally ...it cost them  around 20 thousand USD ,...just saying...?

Shop around or bargain with doctors and hospitals like Mexicans do. 

On 6/19/2020 at 9:06 PM, Ian Greenwood said:

A

I was recently quoted by two doctors 135/145,pesos and 160,000 pesos for a knee replacement, this would be for cash. Any incident in Mexico will soon add up.......unless of course you try IMSS/SP   but as you get older I think you deserve a more personnel service...... and in a emergency  maybe hang around on a gurney for 3/4 hours only to be told "why not go to a private hospital"....