Chapala.com Webboard

Medicare for U S expats

On the original question of cancelling your Medicare......

I'm coming to the discussion a little late but I'm going through the same process now with Medicare and Mexican Healthcare since I'm turning 65 in a few months. My wife and I just arrived Lakeside early August and I even started a Mexico Medical Insurance post asking for help which some of you have responded to...thank you!

I'm knee deep in current Medicare plans and as a some of you said, "it's a personal choice" but my thinking is if you're new to Mexico - like we are - I would NOT cancel Medicare until you know for sure what your life plans are NOB. Many issues and penalties $$ getting Medicare restated after cancelling.

Perhaps consider an inexpensive Medicare High Deductible Plan G supplement, about $40 month from most US Medicare Insurers and you can use ANY doctor in ANY state! This type of supplement will pay 100% of Medicare coverage AFTER you meet a annual Medicare out-of-pocket deductible, currently $2,340 USD for all Plan G high deductible policies regardless of insurer. This out-of-pocket deductible may change annually but you can view it as a safety net or as someone else said consider it like an inexpensive travel insurance plan if you travel back to the states to visit. 

NOTE: You will still have to maintain your Part B premium of $144.60 (in 2020) deducted each month from your Social Security payment but it's a pretty cheap catastropic plan if you do return home to the US or for visits.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

if you family or a place to live  while you are up getting treatment in the  USA KEEP IT

if the cost my be too high, buy private insurance apply cost  savings  to it

that what i and may wife did. we have private insurance that covers us worldwide, except USA

we used to cruise a lot before this covid 19

medicare did not cover us cruising.

PM me if you are interested learning more about worldwide policy, it more expensive but worth it you get hurt traveling

Many supplementary US policies to Medicare will cover emergicies whilst you are  outside of the USA. Check with your broker and or read the small print in the policy. For example mine will cover me for up to 60 days after leaving the USA. My wife has a different one that has no time limit. The people at SAT Hospitail were very helpfull and will reach the details etc.

It is a good idea to keep your Medicare with A & B, as you may need it on visits to the USA, or when you move back; willingly or not. 

We moved to Mexico in 2001 and bought a home in Ajijic. We sold that one in 2004 and bought a larger place, in Chapala centro, in 2004. Then, medical issues caught up with us.  Care was excellent in Guadalajara hospitals, and with our various doctors, but the frequency began to add up. My wife reached medicare age, I developed more problems, including COPD. That was the straw that broke the camel's back, as I needed a lower elevation to reduce my dependency on oxygen bottles and a concentrator.

So, we sold out in 2014 and moved back to the USA, where she uses Medicare and I use the VA.  Otherwise, we would have been in trouble at today's prices. 

Yes, we miss Chapala terribly, but at 72 and 82, we must be very careful as inflation wreaks havoc on those of us who have been retired for 22 years with tiny pensions and SS based upon wages from the last century.

Be careful, plan well, keep your options open, and be happy.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3