Chapala.com Webboard

Very interesting Op Ed in the Informador this morning

Mudgirl,  Your statement seems to imply that ventilators make people die.  In fact the only people put on ventilators are already so ill that the use of the ventilator is the treatment of last resort.  Probably all would die without its use.  Knowing what is involved in its installation, I think I would just choose to roll the dice and maybe survive or maybe die more peacefully.  Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I dont know where the municipalities are getting their data I am assuming from the federal website but this is a good source I have found in Spanish.

This is a general Covid19 thread on reddit Mexico that has been updated since the start.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mexico/comments/gng20b/megathread_coronavirus_8/

This is list with numbers based in states and municipalities.
https://gist.github.com/agentphantom/20bfd5fe1f959bcbe6c690b5ef1fd6f0

• Like 1

7 hours ago, barrbower said:

Mudgirl,  Your statement seems to imply that ventilators make people die. 

That wasn't my intention. I was simply responding to the post that made it sound like we can rest easy knowing there are plenty of ventilators available. You are quite correct- by the time someone is ill enough to be put on a ventilator, they are quite ill. Also, one of the reasons ventilators are saving so few, according to what I've been reading, is that this virus isn't simply a respiratory virus, as was first thought. It appears to attack the blood vessels. Which explains a lot of symptoms and deaths that didn't necessarily present with the fever, coughing, respiratory, etc. distress. If the patient's lung walls are already full of blood clots, a ventilator isn't going to save them. And autopsy reports on COVID deaths show lungs that are as hard as cement.

• Like 1

correct the virus attacks other organs than the lungs.. my brother  was doing better on the respirator when he died...When people get put on respirators they are just about gone as they cannot breath  any longer or are about to get there. Also surviving the respirator may not be the best thing to wish on people, the respirators do a lot of damage to the body as well.. Better pray for no one to need a respirator.. Oxigen ok but respirator, no thanks- It is a last ditch effort to save a life , no matter what.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bmh said:

correct the virus attacks other organs than the lungs.. my brother  was doing better on the respirator when he died...When people get put on respirators they are just about gone as they cannot breath  any longer or are about to get there. Also surviving the respirator may not be the best thing to wish on people, the respirators do a lot of damage to the body as well.. Better pray for no one to need a respirator.. Oxigen ok but respirator, no thanks- It is a last ditch effort to save a life , no matter what.

I read in European newspapers that for a lot of people, supply of extra oxygen has been a life saviour (not the ICU respirators, but simply O2 bottles with breathing masks ).

They saved prime minister Johnson.

Wondering about enough availability of that ( O2 bottles AND/OR O2 generators ) here in Jalisco....especially when a lot more people will need it.

Rony

5 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Good question.  Have thought about buying an oxygen setup as a precaution.

Always handy to have at this altitude anyway.  As a flight attendant, I helped a lot of passengers with it.

And if not for yourself, you might be able to save somebody elses life with it and present the most beautiful gift possible.

Rony

Oh great. Soon there will posts from poor souls with COPD and other chronic conditions  asking where they might buy the oxygen they need daily since none of the places they usually buy it have any because there was a sudden rush on the 02 bottles.

O2 tanks are readily available. ...  thousands and they are refillable. Most users have 2 tanks, one to use and one to be refilled. .  So sales of new tanks should not impact current users. Also oxygen generators are readily available .   Welders use even larger tanks of oxygen. Some will say it is different oxygen. However If you go to a local oxygen supplier and ask, (and they are being honest) they will tell you that they fill the welding oxygen, the aviators oxygen and the medical grade oxygen tanks from the exact same bulk tank, which is to say, they are all medical grade.

50 minutes ago, Xena said:

Oh great. Soon there will posts from poor souls with COPD and other chronic conditions  asking where they might buy the oxygen they need daily since none of the places they usually buy it have any because there was a sudden rush on the 02 bottles.

Xena, are you not slightly overestimating the importance of an opinion of a modest little Belgian😉....especially on a national level.....a country as big as the whole of Europe....  perspective plse.

I wont put it on my Twitter account with millions of followers and I wont share this with my friend AMLO.  I promise

If I had an older grandfather here ( or even 5 grandfathers..... I wish... ),  I would give him the same advice.  Where is the difference?

REALLY not expecting a rush on the sometimes expensive breathing material now.  If a few people read this and also buy it and therefore, a few lives might be saved....me happy.  That is a bit more realism

big hug to you

Rony

21 minutes ago, Rony said:

Xena, are you not slightly overestimating the importance of an opinion of a modest little Belgian😉....especially on a national level.....a country as big as the whole of Europe....  perspective plse.

I wont put it on my Twitter account with millions of followers.

If I had an older grandfather here ( or even 5 grandfathers..... I wish... ),  I would give him the same advice.  Where is the difference?

REALLY not expecting a rush on the sometimes expensive breathing material now.

I was (sort of) joking. Given the fear and greed of some and the propensity for stores here to not keep a large inventory of anything I had visions of 02 bottles becoming the new toilet paper.  I believe I have a lower opinion of humans than you do. I always expect the worst from us as a species. So, I was mostly kidding. 

• Sad 1

Just now, Xena said:

I was (sort of) joking. Given the fear and greed of some and the propensity for stores here to not keep a large inventory of anything I had visions of 02 bottles becoming the new toilet paper.  I believe I have a lower opinion of humans than you do. I always expect the worst from us as a species. So, I was mostly kidding. 

you have a French sense of humour ( I like it ).  French ancestors ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

O2 tanks are readily available. ...  thousands and they are refillable. Most users have 2 tanks, one to use and one to be refilled. .  So sales of new tanks should not impact current users. Also oxygen generators are readily available .   Welders use even larger tanks of oxygen. Some will say it is different oxygen. However If you go to a local oxygen supplier and ask, (and they are being honest) they will tell you that they fill the welding oxygen, the aviators oxygen and the medical grade oxygen tanks from the exact same bulk tank, which is to say, they are all medical grade.

O2 tanks are readily available.....  Can you or others please  tell me where this are available at Lakeside. TYIA

• Like 1

I wonder what all the people who bought hydrocloroquine just in case are going to do with it since ut has been banned from using it with covid because it does not work afterall.....just because you buy oxigen does not mean you will be saved or even need oxigene, something else  nay get you.. Do not second guess nature  say..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here, in the Rio Grande Valley, an oxygen supplier provides an oxygen concentrator, two large and two small bottles, plus an in-home "Ultrafill" refilling system.  As such, I am able to recharge empty bottles as often as needed. Technicians come to inspect and service the equipment and replenish other supplies each month; all arranged by the VA.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Here, in the Rio Grande Valley, an oxygen supplier provides an oxygen concentrator, two large and two small bottles, plus an in-home "Ultrafill" refilling system.  As such, I am able to recharge empty bottles as often as needed. Technicians come to inspect and service the equipment and replenish other supplies each month; all arranged by the VA.

Good to hear that VA has programs like this , it is a great to hear some positive news coming out of the VA system, thanks for sharing RV

On 6/17/2020 at 3:06 PM, RVGRINGO said:

Great to be an American Citizen. Look at all you get free that is not available in other countries. No wonder so many people are trying to get there to live. And, there are fools there who think other countries offer more. Silly them, no?

• Sad 2

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 10:44 PM, Sorn said:

The OP's article identifies some critical considerations which those who rush to mandate or proscribe the actions of others would prefer to ignore. Ultimately, I am in a country which was generous enough to allow me to live here. Its citizenry will make the rules. I am free to follow them or leave. It's disheartening, though, to see so many similarly-situated people focus on virtue signalling tethered to where they came from instead of where they are. I get it: many of them are scared, in high risk groups, and feel powerless. I am sad for them and wish them the best. But I will not cave to their asinine demands. And neither, apparently, will Mexico. Things are bad and likely to get worse. Please do what you want to protect yourself. But leave the moralizing at the border.

Our "'asinine demands" include wearing a mask, distancing, and washing your hands.  Personally, I think protecting others over my own desires is important.   It literally costs you nothing but a little inconvenience to save the lives of others.  If you consider that moralizing, that's your problem, not mine. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Jeanneboo said:

Our "'asinine demands" include wearing a mask, distancing, and washing your hands.  Personally, I think protecting others over my own desires is important.   It literally costs you nothing but a little inconvenience to save the lives of others.  If you consider that moralizing, that's your problem, not mine. 

Defensive, much? I didn't quote you or identify those variables. But, hey, collect those virtue-signalling points. Again, I wish you and all those sharing your concerns the best.

• Sad 4

5 minutes ago, Upfront said:

contradicting yuorself right there

Only by the most narrow and circumscribed reading. The points are easily reconciled. As I said, I'll do as Mexico requires or leave. But I won't do things Mexico doesn't require if I don't wish to simply because others wish it. If Mexico's requirements change, so will my conduct.

23 hours ago, happyjillin said:

I rented two oxygen generators right here because that's where I live ,1 for each floor no problem. they threw in a bottle[nc] but I didn't need it. What has  an experience NOB got anything to do with here?

Perhaps the same equipment is available from supply houses in Guadalajara; I don't know, but you could investigate.  It is certainly a convenient and economical option, compared to needing full bottles delivered in exchange for empties. In your case, it appears that you do not need oxygen to go out, or that you just don't go out.  Others may find the information helpful, as was my intent.

• Sad 1