Chapala.com Webboard

Annual raise for maid and gardener

28 minutes ago, Xena said:

Maybe you should explain that to these people. “Merry Maids is an international franchisor which sells and supports residential cleaning services franchises throughout the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom. Merry Maids was founded in 1979, and joined with ServiceMaster in 1988. In 2007, the company had over 8,000 employees.” Wikipedia

Maids work full time for a person or family and some live in the employee's residence. Cleaning ladies come in occasionally to clean a residence. This is universally understood. Who cares what a cleaning service company is named.

Many Lakeside foreign born residents have it wrong. Simple to understand.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

Maids work full time for a person or family and some live in the employee's residence. Cleaning ladies come in occasionally to clean a residence. This is universally understood. Who cares what a cleaning service company is named.

Who cares??? I think  we have much more serious things to be concerned about these days.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

18 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

Who cares??? I think  we have much more serious things to be concerned about these days.

You obviously don't care and just had to have it be know to all.

daisy2013 cares:

"52 minutes ago, daisy2013 said:

I seriously doubt anyone here has a maid, cleaning person yes but not maid. I talked to a person back where I lived and they were so impressed that people have maids.  I had to bring her up to date and tell her it is a cleaning persons not maid."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

You obviously don't care and just had to have it be know to all. I personally don't care that you don't care.

daisy2013 cares:

"52 minutes ago, daisy2013 said:

I seriously doubt anyone here has a maid, cleaning person yes but not maid. I talked to a person back where I lived and they were so impressed that people have maids.  I had to bring her up to date and tell her it is a cleaning persons not maid."

I prefer to call mine Maids...so there!!!! "Cleaning Person" just does not have the same CACHET.

• Sad 3

8 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

I prefer to call mine Maids...so there!!!! "Cleaning Person" just does not have the same CACHET.

Of course they are not maids. It is a misuse of the word. I know one who is almost a maid as she does laundry and cooks several meals a week as well as house cleaning but she doesn't not live in.

6 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

Why do you always have to be so hateful and condescending.  Empathy and kindness to others is so easy and rewarding.  They are house keepers.  They clean your toilets and floors for a fee.  It’s a noble profession.  They are not your servant. 

• Thanks 4

So a discussion about annual raises becomes a discussion about what to call them. My family calls them muchachas or chachas  if they work for 1 hour or 6 days a week. Someone said "cleaning lady" The politically correct is cleaning person isn't it??  

merriam-webster.com  defines maid as "a woman or girl employed to do domestic work"  In a sentence "She hired a maid to do the cleaning"   

I suppose gardener is bad as well  Maybe garden maintenance person would be less demeaning. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

So a discussion about annual raises becomes a discussion about what to call them. My family calls them muchachas or chachas  if they work for 1 hour or 6 days a week. Someone said "cleaning lady" The politically correct is cleaning person isn't it??  

merriam-webster.com  defines maid as "a woman or girl employed to do domestic work"  In a sentence "She hired a maid to do the cleaning"   

I suppose gardener is bad as well  Maybe garden maintenance person would be less demeaning. 

How about domestic engineer? SNORK!

pedro kertesz

Will you all STOP it. Start acting like grown ups, stop the nonsense. Slavery days are gone, none of us have maids. We employ our gracious Mexican women to work for us and they should all be treated as equals. I cannot believe the ignorance of so many here. Shame on you.

• Sad 1

You guys live in a bubble if you think maid is dememeaning.. and that we live like colonials. A friend of mine who is indigenous has not one but two live in maids.. She pays 800 pesos a week and the chachas get room and board and works from 7 till 4 with Saturday afternoon off and Sunday. and that is the real world in Chiapas.

I know many Mexicans who have chachas and live-in chachas and this has nothing to do with slavery or the colonial times, it is life in Mexico.Whether the women are working all day or part time they are called chachas.

• Thanks 1

Our gardener is P/T and makes 76 pesos an hour.  He is a super hard worker, a gem of an employee. Our housekeeper is P/T and makes 58 pesos an hour plus bus fare (that she takes from the petty cash coffee can at her discretion) which is an additional 15 pesos a day, bringing her hourly rate to  61 pesos an hour. Truth be told our housekeeper no longer works her full schedule as when hired originally; she comes late and leaves early each shift  (we were warned  by other employers that this would happen, and it did). Plus we pay Christmas bonus of 2 weeks as required by law, and vacation pay, AND 5 paid "sick" days every year, goods we buy in bulk like LED lightbulbs, etc etc.  Also, nice Christmas gifts from the states, like 14K  jewelry. That is the NORMAL pay.  They come 3x a week.

However, recently due to Covid we reduced hours of staff. but continued with full pay. There were a few weeks where they came only 1x a week, then they moved it up to 2x a week, and still received 3x a week pay. There has been no effort on part of gardener or housekeeper to return to their normal 3x week schedule.  We have  been told that Jalisco is still not open with "full services", and until Covid goes away nobody intends to return to their normal working hours.

We have been told by other expats we are being taken advantage of.  But we are going to leave Mexico soon and turn our home over to a rental agency and let them handle the gardener and housekeeper issue. Really, we should have done that from the start. After living in Mexico for a few years I realize how much more I prefer the anonymity of household workers, like Merry Maids. Other expats here in Mexico want to have the extended family feel with their staff, but that isn't us. I guess you live and learn. 

About 18 months ago I posted on this forum a link to an article that showed the Lakeside domestic workers are the highest paid in all of Mexico, even beating out SMA and Baja. 

OP,  you are lucky to have had some polite and candid responses to this post. When I  asked a few years ago I was given snide and evasive answers.