Chapala.com Webboard

Shoulder replacement recommendations

57 minutes ago, Michael Checkoff said:

I need a shoulder replacement.  Anyone in the area had this done & can recommend a good surgeon.  An approximate $ If u know it?  My surgery n the state just fell thru & I'm considering self pay in Mx but I did did speak to 1 surgeon & the cost was astronomical.  

If you are in the US and wanting to self pay I thought you can obtain the services of a Medical Broker who will find you a US hospital with deadly discounted rates for self pay cash patients

Can you share what prices you have already been given in Mexico...depending on the hospital your surgeon chooses can make a big different in the price, are you aware of that????

My husband is going though a shoulder replacement he is setting the reverse replaceplanent where the put the titanium ball up by your dollar bone and the socket is going on the ball of shoulder.

He has gone through very many Drs some are interested in the big payday and the new car they will get.

But  he going a very good guy. Send me a private message and I will pass it along

Dr. Gonzales is simply the best.  My friends who have had any sort of replacement surgery had a shorter recovery  period than expected. 

My husband fell and broke his hip on a Saturday night, came home Monday afternoon and was on a walker for only 2 days and did not need physical therapy.

13 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

If you are in the US and wanting to self pay I thought you can obtain the services of a Medical Broker who will find you a US hospital with deadly discounted rates for self pay cash patients

Can you share what prices you have already been given in Mexico...depending on the hospital your surgeon chooses can make a big different in the price, are you aware of that????

I'm in MX.  $50,000 was the quote, for everything. 

I had shoulder surgery 4 years ago.  X rays showed that both the "ball" and the "cup" might need replacing---approx. 4 hours work.

When Dr. opened up my shoulder he felt that only the "ball" needed replacing. He put in a titanium ball. Three  or four hours after the operation, I was in my room, eating a very good lunch. Next day, I went home. Have played tennis 3 days each week since then (after a 3 month recovery period) with no pain. Only problem is going through airport security. My Dr. was Jose Miguel Huerta Vazquez in Guadalajara. He could do the procedure in any hospital I chose, but since his office was close to Hospital Angeles Carmen I chose it.  It´s easy to get to and park, although one of the 2 or 3 most expensive in Guad. After examining me in his office and checking my X rays he was able to schedule me for about a week later, on a Saturday morning. He checked on me several times Sat, after the operation, the last time around 8 P.M. Checked me again 2 more times Sunday and sent me home later that day. I suggest you go to an internet site---""OrthoInfo"--"Shoulder replacement" for good info. on the procedure.  The total cost for the hospital was c. 190,000 pesos and the Dr´cost was, as best I can remember , no more than 100,000 pesos.

Dr. Gabriel Martinez at Quality Care is an orthopedic surgeon  who specializes in shoulders.  I have used him for some other problems and find him very personable, easy to talk with,  takes plenty of time with me, really listens and explains everything very thoroughly.  A real winner in my opinion. Good luck with your search.

g