Chapala.com Webboard

Driving/ travel recommendation

Next weekend we need to drive north, to Laredo to cross the border at the Columbia Bridge and head to our U.S. hometown for a few weeks for personal business. We will travel past GDL, to Matehuala and then on to Laredo, primarily on 57D. We are also concerned about any known recent driving restrictions. 

You say that you will 'pass GDL'....that could mean the airport or the city. BUT unless you just want to, one does NOT have to do either. Take the 'new' Macrolibramiento  east off of the GDL/Chapala highway and later join cuota 80D heading north.  Piece of cake and just a few pesos extra.

• Like 1

I if possible as a matter of safety you may want to see if you can Caravan with some other people in different cars at least until you get to the US border.

And from everything I understand, you don't want to drive when it's starting to get dark or before it gets light.

No doubt there is an uptick in Road crimes with the economy as it is.

"I if possible as a matter of safety you may want to see if you can Caravan with some other people in different cars..."

Can you share with us some of your data that says this will affect the safety of your journey in a positive way?

Waze and Garmin will route you thru Aguascalientas and Zacatecas if you set the destination as Laredo/Columbia Bridge. If you want to go via Matehuala, set the destination as Matehuala and once there, change it to Laredo. I took the Agua/Zac route this past April and it was easy and cheaper. Don't know if that RR crossing has been fixed on the bypass of Lagos.

Ditto on the Microliberamento.

we just returned from the border.  No problems at all.  Easy drive to Matahuala.  Leave here at sunup, arrive Matahuala about 2:00, leave the next morning at sunup arrive border about 1:00.  But we never go Loredo anymore.  So many lines.  We go Del Rio, or McAllen or piadras Negras.  Just a thought.