Chapala.com Webboard

A shocking email this morning

When I turned on my computer this morning something surprising came up in my email. 
Google Maps Timeline
Time line update for May
It showed all towns and places I had visited in May and some from several years ago. Even inside pictures (a stock one) of several restaurants I had visited. Snoopy. What if this got into the wrong hands I have to wonder. I turned off location history. I don't know if this will stop that snooping. For some but not most I had used the  GPS on my cell phone to get there. But for all I had my cell phone with me. How can this be?

27 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

I read a story last year about the amount of information Google has about you. The author found the way to download it. He printed it all out. His printer was running for over a day. 

Wow

9 minutes ago, rod.collins said:

To this day I could never understand why people insisted on using Gmail or other free paid mail services, especially businesses , they mine data like crazy , most people will say "I have nothing to hide" until they realize they do.

In my case I use it because it was so easy and friendly to use and free and I didn't know what else to use 

51 minutes ago, oregontochapala said:

A coffin or urn might be your best chance to be free of prying eyes, ears, tracking bots, etc.

Pretty much!   Though there is a huge database of searchable headstone info out there.....!    😉 

And if the "afterlife" shown in the "Upload" series becomes a reality, even that won't be one's final escape.    Great show BTW.

21 hours ago, Eric Blair said:

This is something I have posted several times, but in case you missed it:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=dave+the+mind+reader

Somehow it would be nice to stop this data collection but it seems to come from so many different places.

6 hours ago, cedros said:

In my case I use it because it was so easy and friendly to use and free 

And you don't think that's by design? How else would all these apps convince people to download their stuff, by making them difficult, unfriendly and expensive?

Why is it assumed that those of us who don't use Facebook are scared (or scared sh*tless as OtoC so tactfully put it)? I am  well aware of data mining in all sectors of my electronic wanders and, yet, I still don't use Facebook. Why not? Well, as I once got in a whole bunch of trouble on this very board for expressing, I think Mr. Zuckerberg is a d***

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, mudgirl said:

And you don't think that's by design? How else would all these apps convince people to download their stuff, by making them difficult, unfriendly and expensive?

I had (have) no idea when I first started but now I have some idea but the solution is not easy.

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

That's why they say you will catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

I thought you had to turn off location on your android phone and that would stop your phone being tracked. I thought putting you phone in Airplane mode  would not stop someone from tracking your phone.

21 hours ago, sm1mex said:

I never have my location turned on and less I use the GPS for mapping.

So you need location turned on for using GPS only. Otherwise location is always off. Would that stop someone from tracking you?

4 hours ago, cedros said:

So you need location turned on for using GPS only. Otherwise location is always off. Would that stop someone from tracking you?

I believe any device connecting via either cell towers or wifi can be logged as having used them via the MAC code or other unique ID.       As someone already said, airplane mode / not being connected is the only sure way.      True paranoids would say turn off device AND remove the battery from it.....which kind of defeats the purpose of being able to use it......

• Like 1

Or just leave the phone at home.  Cell phones- double edged swords.