Chapala.com Webboard

I've been a resident of Zapopan for the last ten years or so and have now encountered a problem with my bank security requiring to send me codes on my cell phone which is a Mexican phone.  I am locked out from viewing my statements and conducting regular business.  I have the option of buying a US phone which is pretty expensive monthly,  but it would incur in roaming charges if used.  Any ideas how to solve this problem?  

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Mariluz 

Edited by Mariluz Holmes
deleted two unnecessary words

Here is what I have. This doesn't answer your question because I am not sure what it is. Maybe by explaining what I did have will help you.

My iPhone is Chinese. But I bought it in Seattle without a sim chip. Now if I wanted a Canadian Number I would need to buy a sim chip from my Canadian provider, If I wanted A US #, I would need to buy a sim card/chip from a US provider.

Because I plan to use this phone mostly in Mexico. I went to a Mexican provider (I chose Telcel) ordered the sim card inserted it into the side of my phone and then pay for the plan of my choice offered by Telcel. I chose the Amigo Plan. I am sorry if this does not help.

My work around is to use the cell number of a family member in the US.  We both have WhatsApp on our phones.  I check availability of the family member before doing something that needs a code - she sends me the code via Whatsapp - it works for me.

• Like 3

Check out this FREE App.....   I think you will find it solves your problem....

4 hours ago, Mariluz Holmes said:

I've been a resident of Zapopan for the last ten years or so and have now encountered a problem with my bank security requiring to send me codes on my cell phone which is a Mexican phone.  I am locked out from viewing my statements and conducting regular business.  I have the option of buying a US phone which is pretty expensive monthly,  but it would incur in roaming charges if used.  Any ideas how to solve this problem?  

Mariluz 

Check out this FREE App....  I think it will solve your problem.....

https://www.textnow.com/

8 hours ago, Mariluz Holmes said:

Mariluz 

I had the same issue. Check into T mobile in the states they have a plan for Canada, Mexico and USA. If you are over 55 there is a big discount.  I had the chip sent to a friend in the states who fedexed it to me. I use the phone just to get codes from the banks etc in the states. I dont use it much at all to make calls within Mexico because at some point they will cut you off.   Also ther is a Telcel USA... I couldnt get it because I had no distributors near my friends so they could activate the chip at the store ... just google it.

Similar problem with two-step verification, in spades but with some complications.

I have a Verizon SIM card in my tablet. I'm signed up for their "Unlimited Together World" plan. But on top of the $45/month fee, they charge me $5/day fee for "roving."

That is not because of usage. I don't use it the tablet phone calls and don't use the data unless I'm at home with TelCel WiFi. Unless I have it on "Airplane Mode", it talks to TelCel towers, looking for the nearest one, so Verizon knows that it is out of the country. (I'm sick and tired of dealing with Verizon in every way.)

So I would like to get a T-Mobile Sim card sent down but would I get stuck with additional 'Roving' charges there too?

Never mind - I've figured it out for my circumstances. I can get a T-Mobile plan, Canada, Mexico, USA. But I have to share it with an existing T-Mobile customer in the US to balance my usage which will be small, but 100% Mexico. I've purchased a phone here. Asked a friend to add me to his T-Mobile account and mail me the SM card.

The last little catch is that before sending, he has too put the SIM card into his phone, because T-Mobile requires it to be activated in the US. Once it is registered there, he can pull it out and mail it to me.

Without thinking, US Companies have created a nightmare with 2-step verification, and having spent months talking to the on the phone, they really don't care and don't intend to fix it.

• 2 months later...